Korean Action...Reccomendations?

David Rees

Listing it would take forever.

I saw many of the movies you listed are not martial arts movies at all or martial arts is not the main theme. A tale of 2 sisters is a great horror film...not martial arts. Old Boy is a great movie, had some fight scenes, but not a real martial arts movie. City of Violence mostly focused on talking and was a bad movie overall. Some of the fightings was okay, but so little or weak that it's not even worst mentioning it as a martial arts film.

I'm not disagreeing with you on your last paragraphy, but i'm just saying that people are more okay with the scenes you listed vs crazy sex scenes. Tony Jaa movies are wildly popular with young kids and adults and families commonly watch it together. Not so with movies with crazy sex scenes. I'm not saying sex is worst than violence. Just saying from a business standpoint, it's not a good idea. Also, in my opinion, movies with sex scenes usually suck. To me, I feel that they can't make a good movie, so they'll throw in something sexual to attract some more audiences. I think that when you make a good movie, you learn that you don't have to put in a lot of extra crap in it.

Man a whole 3 posts later, and you still haven`t managed to name a single movie that you don`t like. Your opinion may be much more understandable if you actually name a few movies you thought "suck" and explain why, instead of just repeating "Korean martial arts films suck & that`s what everybody says" over and over again.

To give you an example of what I mean, I will name some of my favorite Korean movies. As I mentioned in my first post regarding your opinions, Koreans don`t normally make specifically martial arts movies, so my choices range from action, suspense, drama, and horror.

I would strongly recommend `The Chaser`, `The Good, The Bad, The Weird`, `A Bittersweet Life`, `OldBoy`, `Sympathy for Mr Vengenace`, `Sympathy for Lady Vengeance`, `JSA`, `Public Enemy`, `City of Violence`, `A Tale of 2 Sisters`, `The Man From Nowhere`, `I Saw the Devil`, `Action Boys`, `Friend`, `Mother`....and that`s just the tip of the iceberg.

I should warn you though, some of these movies do contain those "crazy sex scenes" that you`re always talking about, `Sympathy for Mr Vengeance` even features a scene with the girl on top, I mean that`s just insane.

It kind of seems like you want to live in a world were every movie is rated `PG-13`, so everyone can watch it no matter what their age. Do you honestly think Tony Jaa`s movies are suitable for everyone!? `Ong Bak` contains a scene of a girl who`s over dosed, her face covered in cocaine, `Tom Yum Goong` contains a scene of a group of girls trapped in a room who have been forcibly drugged up to their eye balls to be prostitutes, and `Ong Bak 2` contains a scene of a childs mother being repeatedly hit over the head with a stone. You really thing a child watching a scene of a man and a woman making love is much worse that these examples? These is a reason Jaa`s movies are rated the way they are, it`s not just about the action scenes but about the overall content...there are no "crazy sex scenes" in any of them, but that doesn`t make them any more suitable for kids.

I don`t want to take this thread off topic, so I`ll reply in the Japanese forum regarding this comment.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
Listing it would take forever.

I`m not asking you to compile a long list of every Korean martial arts movie or gangster movie that you think sucked, just name 5 to at least back up your opinions, it`s hardly rocket science.

First of all i would like to say hello to everybody.

I noticed some very strange and almost stupid things in this thread. I'm really into Korean stuff, even more than in HK so i have really big knowledge about them even if i'm not so old, anyway i just want to say that i don't know you sen pai and i don't wanna to judge your opinion, but saying that Korean martial art movies sucks is word that can be used only by person who doesn't have any knowledge about them!

1. First of all, you said that Korean movies sucks, that's OK with me, but can you explain me how is possible that some of the favorite stars are from Korean and they earned much fans with acting in Korean films:

For example Casanova Wong, guy that is in Top 5 actors of many members. He broke out with roles in some other Hong Kong movies, but also some of his top rated movies are from Korea, can anyone disagree that some of his better movies are made in Korea. Also we can't forget all those great talents from Korea, mighty Hwang Jang Lee who starred in whole bunch of cool Korean movies, and i don't need to talk about:

Hwang In-Shik, that starred in great number of great Korean action films:

Black Leopard (1975)

A Wandering Hero (1975)

Secret Going (1975)

Black Spider (1975)

Great Escape (1976)

The Best Disciple (1976)

A Succesor with Black Belt (1976)

Righteous Fighter (1976)

Peach Snow Blossom (1976)

Atragic Man in The Song-Hwa River (1977)

Vagabond (1977)

Chase Without Tomorrow (1977)

Year of the Kick Boxer (1988)

Also Dragon Lee, one of the favorite Bruce Lee look-alikes in the world and also actor that starred in large number of Korean movies, that are highly rated, also in his movies you can always see great doze of humor and many funny things and can anyone disagree that movies like: Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple, 5 Pattern Dragon Claws and Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger aren't excellent and always watchable. There i listed only few great Korean actors and movies, but there are hundreds of Korean actors that starred in some really amazing movies, this topic would be bad if i don't mentione also Bobby Kim, Eagle Han and of course Kim Tai Jung. Also there is number of Korean actresses that were bad ass in many good films, but i'll save it for another thread.

Also i don't know what do you have against sex scenes in movies, you keep saying that's bad because kids's can see it, but honestly Martial Art movies are not family movies, and most of them are not recomended for persons under 18 years (even if i don't respect that)!

Korean cinema is very interesting in many genres. Comedy, drama, historical, epic, wuxia (saeguk), etc. Korea gave many impressive actors, like Ahn Sung - Kee, Shin Hyeon - Joon, Jang Dong-gun, Heo Jun-ho, Byeon Hie-bong, Yun Ju-sang, Jung Doo-hong (at 25, was the youngest action and martial arts director in Korean history), etc, etc.

Many talented directors, like Kim Ki-duk, Park Chan-Wook, Bong Jon-ho, Im Kwon-taek (the master), Kang Woo-suk, Lee Jun-ik, and others.

Korea deserves a place in the cinema world because behind the filmmaking, are people with artistical career and great development in this industry, awarded in all the world.

Alexandra

Korean cinema is very interesting in many genres. Comedy, drama, historical, epic, Wuxia (saeguk), etc. Korea gave many impressive actors, like Ahn Sung - Kee, Shin Hyeon - Joon, Jang Dong-gun, Heo Jun-ho, Byeon Hie-bong, Yun Ju-sang, Jung Doo-hong (at 25, was the youngest action and martial arts director in Korean history), etc, etc.

Many talented directors, like Kim Ki-duk, Park Chan-Wook, Bong Jon-ho, Im Kwon-taek (the master), Kang Woo-suk, Lee Jun-ik, and others.

Korea deserves a place in the cinema world because behind the filmmaking, are people with artistically career and great development in this industry, awarded in all the world.

Alexandra

A professional & classy post from a classy LADY !! Thank you Alex , brilliant points you summarized for us !! & You to MG Lerox !

On that note I thougth a little reminder is nice, about the only 2 types of TROLL in the world !!

THE BAD TROLL ( Internet Troll):

* Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in "that was an excellent troll you posted". While the term troll and its associated action trolling are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. .... (Courtesy of Wikipedia ..)

633580796860484029trollmu1.jpg&t=1

This is not to be confused with

* Constructive criticism, definition :

Criticism or advice that is useful & intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions. Offered in a professional, respectful & objective manner ..

THE GOOD TROLL ( Norwegian Trolls)

* In the days now long departed, so far back that no one can quite say when, the trolls came to the land of Norway and they have been trouble ever since! A troll is a fearsome member of a mythical race from Norse mythology... Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds. In the Faroe islands, Orkney and Shetland tales, trolls are called trows, adopted from the Norse language when these islands were settled by Vikings..

Remember that one famous Norse troll is the dangerous troll GRENDEL (!) in the epic poem BEOWULF who embarks on a murderous campaign against a Danish settlement whose besieged king Hrothgar asks the legendary warrior Beowulf for assistance..He was rumored to be a master of TROLL KUNG FU :tongue:..!

the-troll-hunter-norwegian-documentary-still.jpg

This guy is allegedly one of Grendel's descendent's & a group of students in Norway have set out to expose a government conspiracy to cover the existence of trolls in mountains of the country..( I almost DON'T believe it, but this student organization actually exist ..).That footage is about to be revealed in THE TROLL HUNTER, perhaps the most important documentary of our time! Above is a look at some of that footage..( ??) Well ..:sad::wink: !

But since this is the KOREAN sub forum & I need to get back on topic so I will now go hunting (Athena has her TROLL SLAYING SWORD ready...)for KOREAN TROLLS ..

There just might be one or two (thousand ) in North Korea still..:tongue::xd: !!

Athena ..♥

A professional & classy post from a classy LADY !! Thank you Alex , brilliant points you summarized for us !! & You to MG Lerox !

Remember that one famous Norse troll is the dangerous troll GRENDEL (!) in the epic poem BEOWULF who embarks on a murderous campaign against a Danish settlement whose besieged king Hrothgar asks the legendary warrior Beowulf for assistance..He was rumored to be a master of TROLL KUNG FU :tongue:..!

You welcome friend, is a simple summary! Indeed, MGLerox wrote an excellent message!

Interesting research about trolls! Good one Athena!!! :yociexp108:

"But since this is the KOREAN sub forum & I need to get back on topic so I will now go hunting (Athena has her TROLL SLAYING SWORD ready...)for KOREAN TROLLS .."

Uahhhahha! :wink:

Alex

Thanks for the nice words girls, i'm happy that i made peace in this thread. That guy doesn't have any knowledge about Korean movies, and it is better that he gave up from posting here.

2009 Lost Memories... good movie, with Jang Dong Gun, Toru Nakamura, direction Lee Si Myung. A good script that is the formula, Si Myung Lee wrote the pains of a Korea divided for the memories of the Japan Invasion, and after that.

I'm curious about the film Shiri. I did a search on the forums but there's no specific info I could find given by any of the members. Has anyone seen it? I read good things about it but I'm wondering about the quality of the action. Is it MA or non-MA based?

I'm curious about the film Shiri. I did a search on the forums but there's no specific info I could find given by any of the members. Has anyone seen it? I read good things about it but I'm wondering about the quality of the action. Is it MA or non-MA based?

Been a little while since I've seen it but it was not a martial arts action film.

Worth watching though, it is a very good film!

One Armed Boxer

'Shiri' has zero MA action, but it has a significant place in Korea cinema history, simply because this was the movie that brought people's attention to the countries movies output, before 'Shiri' chances are most people couldn't name a single Korean movie.

Made back in 1999, now in 2011 I'd say it's a movie that is just as interesting, possibly more, to read about as it is to actually watch. It stars Song Kang-ho, Choi Min-sik, & Kim Yun-jin, before they had their reputation as one of the greatest character actors working today, that guy from 'OldBoy' & 'I Saw the Devil', & the Asian girl from the US TV show 'Lost' respectively.

As an action movie it hasn't actually aged well 12 years later, most sequences involve the good guys and bad guys shooting endless rounds of ammunition at each other, with 99% of bullets seemingly going nowhere. However the ending still manages to pack an emotional punch, even if you know it's coming, and I'd say that makes it worth watching alone.

2009 Lost Memories... good movie, with Jang Dong Gun, Toru Nakamura, direction Lee Si Myung. A good script that is the formula, Si Myung Lee wrote the pains of a Korea divided for the memories of the Japan Invasion, and after that.

I will 2nd to that. Very interesting flick with some good gunplay and decent storyline. 2hours with this passed nicely.

:monk_eating:

Archived