Korean Action...Reccomendations?

David Rees

Just gone through my dvd collection of Korean action movies and want to see more but it's been very quiet lately on the Korean action front.

Films i have and like are City Of Violence, Fighter In The Wind, Bichunmoo, Shadowless Sword, Arahan, Legend Of The Evil Lake.....Have seen Brotherhood and Musa.

So can anyone reccomend Korean movies similar to the ones above i may have missed.

I especially like the Swordplay type films.

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingofkungfu2002

The Restless (really enjoyed this, and it looks gorgeous)

Sword In The Moon

Duelist (a love it or hate it kind of film)

Here's some stills from 'The Restless'

72wy1h.jpg

v6stn9.jpg

55kyli.jpg

wld6xk.jpg

6t2sec.jpg

j82sjr.jpg

108czmc.jpg

2e5if0o.jpg

14kuz49.jpg

Thanks for the reccomendations....

Seen Sword In The Moon, was ok....nothing spectacular but well made...

Duelist i thought was boring...very arty but not my cup of tea...

Just watched The Restless. Amazing to look at beautifully shot but just way too much CGI, In the end it just gave me a headache, the action was choppy and CG reliant, a shame.

Sword With No Name looks good, have that on my list...any others??

The Divine Weapon (Sinjigeon)

Correct in the historical background and true in all the aspects, a super cast, deeply emotional, very good action scenes.

Alexandra

Guest Rosemarry

Yes Thanks for the reccomendations....

And I think also.... The Restless (really enjoyed this, and it looks gorgeous)

Sword In The Moon.

:tongue:

Just gone through my dvd collection of Korean action movies and want to see more but it's been very quiet lately on the Korean action front.

Films i have and like are City Of Violence, Fighter In The Wind, Bichunmoo, Shadowless Sword, Arahan, Legend Of The Evil Lake.....Have seen Brotherhood and Musa.

So can anyone reccomend Korean movies similar to the ones above i may have missed.

I especially like the Swordplay type films.

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

Hello.

I recommended The Divine Weapon, I notice you want "wuxia style" in your research, mixed with other titles that fits in "thriller" genre, like City of Violence.

I am a fan of korean wuxia new wave (hallyu), and starting with the emblematic Bichunmoo (fantastic) following with Shadowless Sword (a little romantic but good one), Arahan (a comedy that mix the ancient precepts of taoism and tai ji but in modern times), Legend of the Evil Lake (good one), The Restless (impressive plot, creative, beautiful screenplay and photography), The Divine Weapon (as I said fantastic, a historical drama with swordplay, action and excellent screenplay and photograpy), Musa (absolute fabulous), Sword in the Moon (splendid), A Frozen Flower (absolutely impressive plot, you must get this movie), Duelist (good, not a super good but, ok), The King and the Clown (ahhh ahhh)

Alexandra

ShaOW!linDude

"The Divine Weapon" doesn't have any MA, does it? Isn't it just about the construction or acquiring of a cannon?

"The Divine Weapon" doesn't have any MA, does it? Isn't it just about the construction or acquiring of a cannon?

The concept of cinematographic genre is a hard thing. The Divine Weapon is strictu sensu, a historical - drama movie, with some scenes of fight. The plot is absolutely brilliant, based in historical facts about the first missile weapon built in the history of the world, made in Korea around 1440 anus domini.

I think...now you mention the movie, that if you are looking for "pure action movie", that is not one of this kind, is an historical drama with scenes of fight. But I picked up it here because is a masterpiece.

Alexandra

I've seen some Korean Martial Arts film and all of them was bad. Another thing is that Koreans usually put sex scenes in the films. Are they stupid? Martial Arts ia genre that families watch together. You're not winning a fanbase with that crap. Imagine if Ip Man had crazy sex scenes in it. No wonder why Korean martial arts just come and go, and nobody knows about it.

One Armed Boxer
I've seen some Korean Martial Arts film and all of them was bad.

For example? Korean movies arn't normally specifically martial arts movies, when it comes to gangster movies though with some rough and tumble action, you can't go wrong.

Another thing is that Koreans usually put sex scenes in the films. Are they stupid? Martial Arts ia genre that families watch together. You're not winning a fanbase with that crap.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this statement, considering most martial arts movies come out (referring to the UK classification system) with a '15 & over' or '18 & over' label, I don't think you can really say martial arts is a family friendly genre that you get together to watch with your wife and kids on a quiet Saturday night.

The inclusion of sex scenes in a movie depends entirely on the story, more often than not in Korean movies the sex scenes are an integral part of the plot so serve to move it forward. Much more than the type of scenes that you'd find in the Shaw Brothers movies, or many HK movies for that matter, of old, where the sex scenes where put in simply for the exploitation factor, hardly family friendly viewing.

Imagine if Ip Man had crazy sex scenes in it. No wonder why Korean martial arts just come and go, and nobody knows about it.

Ummm, I don't think I want to imagine Donnie Yen in a sex scene, it would probably still involve him pulling off (maybe that's the wrong wording to use here) some cool pose in the middle of it. Regardless though, if you're bringing up this point to say that 'Ip Man' wouldn't make family friendly viewing if it had "crazy sex scenes" in it, then does that mean you think watching somebody get shot in the head, people having their arms and legs snapped, a guy getting repeatedly punched in the face until covered in blood, and the implication of the Japanese officer wanting to rape Ip Man's wife, are all ok to watch with kids?

For example? Korean movies ain't normally specifically martial arts movies, when it comes to gangster movies though with some rough and tumble action, you can't go wrong.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this statement, considering most martial arts movies come out (referring to the UK classification system) with a '15 & over' or '18 & over' label, I don't think you can really say martial arts is a family friendly genre that you get together to watch with your wife and kids on a quiet Saturday night.

The inclusion of sex scenes in a movie depends entirely on the story, more often than not in Korean movies the sex scenes are an integral part of the plot so serve to it forward. Much more than the type of scenes that you'd find in the Shaw Brothers movies, or many HK movies for that matter, of old, where the sex scenes where put in simply for the exploitation factor, hardly family friendly viewing.

Ummm, I don't think I want to imagine Donnie Yen in a sex scene, it would probably still involve him pulling off (maybe that's the wrong wording to use here) some cool pose in the middle of it. Regardless though, if you're bringing up this point to say that 'Ip Man' wouldn't make family friendly viewing if it had "crazy sex scenes" in it, then does that mean you think watching somebody get shot in the head, people having their arms and legs snapped, a guy getting repeatedly punched in the face until covered in blood, and the implication of the Japanese officer wanting to rape Ip Man's wife, are all ok to watch with kids?

Thank you for that post OAB !!!

Great !! My thougth exactly ...

You pretty much summed it up perfectly so not much need for me to say anything !

But I just add a few supporting facts anyway :

No Koreans are not STUPID or considered as such academicaly..I have had the (depressing )privilege of going trough Calculus 1-5 with 3 (South) Korean students , THEY WERE ABLE TO MAINTAIN A 4.0 GRADE POINT AVERAGE ALL 5 SEMESTERS ..The rest of our class were not ;( ..Hehe !

& I can think of tons of HK & Japanese Martial Arts movies with sex & nudity ...At the same time I would maintain that at least 35-40 % of the Modern Korean Wuxia are NOT THAT sexually oriented.. (Shadow less Sword, Bichunmoo, Legend of the Evil Ghost Lake etc..) In addition, just as an example : In the Young Ip Man (A legend is born ) Ip's school sister suffered a miscarriage while hanging up in a net in the warehouse ...From a female perspective I don't think that is like a cozy kids M& M cookie moment either ...

Xiexie Athena ...

PS. OAB !

If you REALLY want to see Donnie flexing his Chest, ABS (!) & triceps while making a love scene re watch Legend of the Wolf !!! That is a true FLEXING moment in the Tradition of ....Hehe !

I'm talking about Korean martial arts...and for the most part, they suck. The gangsta movies suck too.

It doesn't matter what the label say. Kids love martial arts and families often watch it together. Old and little kids enjoy Ip man. When you put sex scenes in movies, kids are less likely to give it to their parents and adults are less likely to give it to kids.

I do not disagree with it being part of the story. My point is that by doing so, it either cheapens the story or limit its audiences.

As for your last paragraph, society have no problem with violence, but get anxious with sex scenes. That's just the way the world is. I wouldn't argue that sex scenes are worst because they're not...there's nothing wrong with. However, in business and entertainment, it does matter.

Regardless of the sex scenes, the movies suck. Maybe they think by throwing in sex scenes would make it better, but all it does it limit their audience and make the movie worst. I only came in the korean forum to see if they got any good movies, but it's the same crappy movies.

For example? Korean movies arn't normally specifically martial arts movies, when it comes to gangster movies though with some rough and tumble action, you can't go wrong.

The inclusion of sex scenes in a movie depends entirely on the story, more often than not in Korean movies the sex scenes are an integral part of the plot so serve to it forward. Much more than the type of scenes that you'd find in the Shaw Brothers movies, or many HK movies for that matter, of old, where the sex scenes where put in simply for the exploitation factor, hardly family friendly viewing.

Nobody is arguing academics here.

My point is that Korean martial arts sucks. Then you got the movies with sex scenes that suck even more.

You said >>>>>35-40 % of the Modern Korean Wuxia are NOT THAT sexually oriented..<<<<<<. So you're saying the 35-40% are NOT THAT sexual oriented, but basically they still do. Then the majority do have sexual oriented material.

Then you brought up Ip Man movie with a woman having a miscarriage?? Most people wouldn't pick that up and most don't care. On the other hand, most parents aren't going to give their kids a movie with sex scenes in it. It's just a fact that society gets more nervous with sex than they do with violence.

Regardless of the sex scenes...the movies suck. Koreans are known for making corny dramas about terminal illnesses. That's it.

Thank you for that post OAB !!!

Great !! My thougth exactly ...

You pretty much summed it up perfectly so not much need for me to say anything !

But I just add a few supporting facts anyway :

No Koreans are not STUPID or considered as such academicaly..I have had the (depressing )privilege of going trough Calculus 1-5 with 3 (South) Korean students , THEY WERE ABLE TO MAINTAIN A 4.0 GRADE POINT AVERAGE ALL 5 SEMESTERS ..The rest of our class were not ;( ..Hehe !

& I can think of tons of HK & Japanese Martial Arts movies with sex & nudity ...At the same time I would maintain that at least 35-40 % of the Modern Korean Wuxia are NOT THAT sexually oriented.. (Shadow less Sword, Bichunmoo, Legend of the Evil Ghost Lake etc..) In addition, just as an example : In the Young Ip Man (A legend is born ) Ip's school sister suffered a miscarriage while hanging up in a net in the warehouse ...From a female perspective I don't think that is like a cozy kids M& M cookie moment either ...

Xiexie Athena ...

PS. OAB !

If you REALLY want to see Donnie flexing his Chest, ABS (!) & triceps while making a love scene re watch Legend of the Wolf !!! That is a true FLEXING moment in the Tradition of ....Hehe !

One Armed Boxer

Man I have to be honest and say I`m not even sure how to start replying to your post, but here goes -

I'm talking about Korean martial arts...and for the most part, they suck. The gangsta movies suck too.

Ok....before I go on the defensive can you at least name some examples of Korean martial arts and gangster (or `gangsta`) movies that you think suck, instead of just repeating it over and over again?

Or are you actually saying Korean martial arts forms themselves suck?

Old and little kids enjoy Ip man

Ha ha.....they should put this on the DVD box, it`s the perfect quote.

My point is that by doing so, it either cheapens the story

Man how can you say sex cheapens the story when it`s entirely subjective and depends on what the story is? What about movies like `Lust, Caution` and `Frozen Flower`, sex plays an integral part because the movies are exploring the destructive power of lust and the affect that it has on the characters involved.

society have no problem with violence

Right, I guess I`ll go and give a copy of `Grotesque` to my 10 year old cousin this weekend for us to enjoy together.

Regardless of the sex scenes, the movies suck. Maybe they think by throwing in sex scenes would make it better, but all it does it limit their audience and make the movie worst. I only came in the korean forum to see if they got any good movies, but it's the same crappy movies.

My point is that Korean martial arts sucks. Then you got the movies with sex scenes that suck even more.

Once again...names please!? Your last quote actually does make me think you`re referring to Korean martial arts themselves, I hope I`m wrong and will wait for you to respond before going any further though.

most parents aren't going to give their kids a movie with sex scenes in it

So does that mean you actually know of cases were parents HAVE given their kids a movie to watch which contains fairly brutal violence....such as, well, let`s go for the obvious one, `Ip Man`?

Regardless of the sex scenes...the movies suck. Koreans are known for making corny dramas about terminal illnesses. That's it.

Jeez....you know up until this line, as much as I completely disagree with your opinions, I still respected them. This line has made me lose that respect, I mean it`s just stupid. So Koreans are known for just making corny dramas about terminal illnesses, and the Japanese are all pedophiles (see the `KG` thread in the Japanese forum). I can`t even be bothered countering it....so stupid.

sen_pai !

It is uncertain if you are capable of understanding any reply that is not written by any one at your own level. The level refereed to is unprofessional, rude and narrow minded with a tendency to derogatory remarks to certain genetic ethnic groups. In addition a obsessive need for repetitions of some words like SUCK ...

Again One Armed Boxer's reply perfectly illustrate the impossibility of you providing any constructive criticism. Therefor any further dissusions with you on a normal level is a wast of time.

You seem to have a inaccurate conception of what the word "Society" stands for ...

Quote:

"society have no problem with violence..."

Yes - In the US they have a movie rating system with a high tolerance for violence and a low tolerance for nudity/sexual content...

No - In Europe despite it vary between each country, there is a LOW tolerance for violence and a higher tolerance for nudity/sexual content. In Scandinavia it is a almost NO tolerance for violence.

Are these countries not part of your "Society" then ? They are definetly part of the sales market for these movies.

Guest Markgway
It doesn't matter what the label say. Kids love martial arts and families often watch it together. Old and little kids enjoy Ip man. When you put sex scenes in movies, kids are less likely to give it to their parents and adults are less likely to give it to kids....society have no problem with violence, but get anxious with sex scenes. That's just the way the world is.

Great! So you can't show a natural act of lovemaking on screen because it'll warp little kids, but they'll be just fine seeing a man's head get cut off with a sword or having his teeth kicked out?

You must be American.

They can show it if they want. I'm just saying that by doing so, they'll limit their audience. First, action and martial arts are something that people of all ages enjoy. When you put sex scenes in it, it'll hurt business because people aren't going to recommend it to a different age group as a result. It may seem ironic that people are okay with violence and not sex, but that's just how the world works...not my opinion. Basic business. That's one reason why Chinese martial arts and films by Tony Jaa are more popular, while when you talk about a Korean martial arts, peole are like "what, Koreans make martial arts films"?

Then you got fans who want to see a good movie with martial arts. Movies that have crazy sex scenes in it for some reason sucks. You can argue with me, but I think we all can agree that Korean martial arts film either suck or most people don't like em.

Great! So you can't show a natural act of lovemaking on screen because it'll warp little kids, but they'll be just fine seeing a man's head get cut off with a sword or having his teeth kicked out?

You must be American.

Hey, you can disagree with me...that's fine. We can go into details on why we disagree...it would be meaningless. Point is, Korea Martial Arts film sucks. That's why it's not big business and that's why most people don't recommend it. Some of you may disagree with the sex scenes, but it's just a fact that by doing so, you limit audiences...that's common business sense. If they gonna throw in sex scenes, at least make the movie good..but they're not. It sucks on all level.

As for my Japanese post...it's the truth. Japan society is big on pedophilia. Videos and Magazines of underage girls is huge in Japan.

Man I have to be honest and say I`m not even sure how to start replying to your post, but here goes -

Ok....before I go on the defensive can you at least name some examples of Korean martial arts and gangster (or `gangsta`) movies that you think suck, instead of just repeating it over and over again?

Or are you actually saying Korean martial arts forms themselves suck?

Ha ha.....they should put this on the DVD box, it`s the perfect quote.

Man how can you say sex cheapens the story when it`s entirely subjective and depends on what the story is? What about movies like `Lust, Caution` and `Frozen Flower`, sex plays an integral part because the movies are exploring the destructive power of lust and the affect that it has on the characters involved.

Right, I guess I`ll go and give a copy of `Grotesque` to my 10 year old cousin this weekend for us to enjoy together.

Once again...names please!? Your last quote actually does make me think you`re referring to Korean martial arts themselves, I hope I`m wrong and will wait for you to respond before going any further though.

So does that mean you actually know of cases were parents HAVE given their kids a movie to watch which contains fairly brutal violence....such as, well, let`s go for the obvious one, `Ip Man`?

Jeez....you know up until this line, as much as I completely disagree with your opinions, I still respected them. This line has made me lose that respect, I mean it`s just stupid. So Koreans are known for just making corny dramas about terminal illnesses, and the Japanese are all pedophiles (see the `KG` thread in the Japanese forum). I can`t even be bothered countering it....so stupid.

You insult my intelligence because you disagree with my opinion. You're the one that lack intelligence because you choose to attack me personally. I don't have to do that, but only stick what I have to say and the reality of how people view Korean Martial Arts film.

I use the word suck because that's what Korean Martial Arts film really is. It sucks! That's what everybody says and that's why it's not famous or recommended by many people.

sen_pai !

It is uncertain if you are capable of understanding any reply that is not written by any one at your own level. The level refereed to is unprofessional, rude and narrow minded with a tendency to derogatory remarks to certain genetic ethnic groups. In addition a obsessive need for repetitions of some words like SUCK ...

Again One Armed Boxer's reply perfectly illustrate the impossibility of you providing any constructive criticism. Therefor any further dissusions with you on a normal level is a wast of time.

You seem to have a inaccurate conception of what the word "Society" stands for ...

Quote:

"society have no problem with violence..."

Yes - In the US they have a movie rating system with a high tolerance for violence and a low tolerance for nudity/sexual content...

No - In Europe despite it vary between each country, there is a LOW tolerance for violence and a higher tolerance for nudity/sexual content. In Scandinavia it is a almost NO tolerance for violence.

Are these countries not part of your "Society" then ? They are definetly part of the sales market for these movies.

One Armed Boxer

Man a whole 3 posts later, and you still haven`t managed to name a single movie that you don`t like. Your opinion may be much more understandable if you actually name a few movies you thought "suck" and explain why, instead of just repeating "Korean martial arts films suck & that`s what everybody says" over and over again.

To give you an example of what I mean, I will name some of my favorite Korean movies. As I mentioned in my first post regarding your opinions, Koreans don`t normally make specifically martial arts movies, so my choices range from action, suspense, drama, and horror.

I would strongly recommend `The Chaser`, `The Good, The Bad, The Weird`, `A Bittersweet Life`, `OldBoy`, `Sympathy for Mr Vengenace`, `Sympathy for Lady Vengeance`, `JSA`, `Public Enemy`, `City of Violence`, `A Tale of 2 Sisters`, `The Man From Nowhere`, `I Saw the Devil`, `Action Boys`, `Friend`, `Mother`....and that`s just the tip of the iceberg.

I should warn you though, some of these movies do contain those "crazy sex scenes" that you`re always talking about, `Sympathy for Mr Vengeance` even features a scene with the girl on top, I mean that`s just insane.

Some of you may disagree with the sex scenes, but it's just a fact that by doing so, you limit audiences

It kind of seems like you want to live in a world were every movie is rated `PG-13`, so everyone can watch it no matter what their age. Do you honestly think Tony Jaa`s movies are suitable for everyone!? `Ong Bak` contains a scene of a girl who`s over dosed, her face covered in cocaine, `Tom Yum Goong` contains a scene of a group of girls trapped in a room who have been forcibly drugged up to their eye balls to be prostitutes, and `Ong Bak 2` contains a scene of a childs mother being repeatedly hit over the head with a stone. You really thing a child watching a scene of a man and a woman making love is much worse that these examples? These is a reason Jaa`s movies are rated the way they are, it`s not just about the action scenes but about the overall content...there are no "crazy sex scenes" in any of them, but that doesn`t make them any more suitable for kids.

As for my Japanese post...it's the truth. Japan society is big on pedophilia. Videos and Magazines of underage girls is huge in Japan.

I don`t want to take this thread off topic, so I`ll reply in the Japanese forum regarding this comment.

Archived