Well Go USA Shaw Bros. Blu-Rays

Ronin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Rees

Just got Heroic Ones, it is region free.

1080i , ok picture dont know if i could tell the difference between 1080i or p on my 32 inch tv anyhow. No bad motion blur.

Worth an upgrade, as said good picture, original mono sound uncompressed in Mandarin and English. I did notice some poor subtitle translations . Only extras are trailers in standard def and the trailers dont even have subs.

If your a fan and can get it for a good price i would go for it..

Jackie Fhan

True, some of the subs are off, but you can usually tell what they are suppose to mean. I started this movie lastnight and didn't get to finish it yet but it is actually a very good swords play type movie. It is a different type of movie than I am use to with the hand to hand fighting, but the 13 gerneral are really cool for the movie. Liking it very much so far.

Got my new copy of Delightful FOrest in. They sent the whole movie again, packaging and all. And a TSHIRT! all for free, great customer service.

David Rees

You can excuse bad subtitles if it was a Far Eastern release from say Hong Kong, but when it is meant for western market there is no excuse for not checking that the subs at least make sense and are free of silly errors.

Jackie Fhan

Wow, Delightful Forest was GREAT!! I haven't seen a bad shaws movie yet. How are they all so good and have such interesting ideas, fighting scenes and such great scopes... these movies are much better than most of the stuff put out today, much like the old sci fi stuff being typically better than todays new atmosphere and feel..

I might rate the Herioc Ones and Delightful Forest in my top 5 shaw movies so far, or close to it! (ive only seen around 20 something, so I'm sure this will change, but wow at these movies.. simply blown away....

So glad I got that free t shirt sent to me by Well Go USA!

OldPangYau

So, once again, in regards to the interlacing... is it PAL-to-NTSC interlacing, or just film speed interlacing? Quickest way to tell is if the Shaw Scope fanfare sounds higher pitched, like it does on the IVL DVDs.

Fang Shih-yu
Wow, Delightful Forest was GREAT!! I haven't seen a bad shaws movie yet. How are they all so good and have such interesting ideas, fighting scenes and such great scopes... these movies are much better than most of the stuff put out today, much like the old sci fi stuff being typically better than todays new atmosphere and feel..

I might rate the Herioc Ones and Delightful Forest in my top 5 shaw movies so far, or close to it! (ive only seen around 20 something, so I'm sure this will change, but wow at these movies.. simply blown away....

So glad I got that free t shirt sent to me by Well Go USA!

Chang Cheh is QUITE a director! Those two movies are just the BEGINNING of the long list of Cheh classics!:bigsmile: The Delightful Forest has recently become one of my most favorite Cheh movies (even if he had help)!:bigsmile:

Jackie Fhan
Chang Cheh is QUITE a director! Those two movies are just the BEGINNING of the long list of Cheh classics!:bigsmile: The Delightful Forest has recently become one of my most favorite Cheh movies (even if he had help)!:bigsmile:

Yeah, I am thinking of re opening an account on ebay so I can sell stuff again. I'm sure I have a few things I can sell here and there, I want to get a lot more of the Shaw movies. I'm not always completely sure what is good and what is not, but I guess there is plenty of movies out there that would be great that are not well known by lots of people. I guess the best thing to do is just get as many as we can and see what we like and let each other known what is good. I need to pick up on my non shaw martial arts movies as well, as I have almost none from the 70's from other studios (besides obvious ones like Jackie) Either way, I guess you can't get much better than movies like Drunken Master, so I atleast found that one long ago.:tongue:

kungfusamurai

Has anyone tried to do the exchange of the defect blu ray of Delightful Forest from outside of the USA? I don't care about not getting a T shirt, I just want to get the proper working blu ray disc, and it seems the only way to guarantee that is to go directly to Well Go.

It doesn't seem like there's any way for a retailer to tell the difference between the defective copy and the fixed version without sticking the disc in a player. Did they change the bar code on the fixed version? Well Go lists the bar code of the defective version. Could anyone here post the bar code of their replacement copy?

Thanks!

KFS

My replacement copy of "The Delightful Forest" BD came from Well Go USA today.

I just started to watch mine to review it and I got a pixelated copy

The disc also just stops playing and freezes for like 30 seconds. Oh boy.

I'll spot check Life Gamble for people in a couple of minutes.

Shaolin Patriot
I'll spot check Life Gamble for people in a couple of minutes.

Did you sample Invincible Shaolin yet?

Wheat Thin Man

I thought everyone would like to know, Amazon has The Delightful Forest, Brothers Five, and The Heroic Ones on sale for $11.49 right now.

Just to revisit this, and in relation to YangStyle's topic, are any of the Well Go Blu-Rays worth getting?

Seemed like Delightful Forest was ok, but the topic kid of died out. Now that there are these titles in circulation, any worth the upgrade from a Celestial DVD?

Brothers Five

The Heroic Ones

Web of Death

All Men Are Brothers

The Delightful Forest

Am I missing any?

I just picked up Delightful Forest blu, and I thought it looked awesome--well worth the upgrade.

Speaking of which, I also picked up the Dragon Dynasty 4-pack DVD with Avenging Eagle, and holy cow, watching that movie even on DVD upconverted through the blu ray player---it looked fantastic. Almost blu quality, I thought. I had been hesitant to upgrade my IVLs, but some of those region 1 releases are big improvements.

I have Web of Death and Heroes Two on blu. Heroes Two has some great extras. It has the Linn Haynes commentary. And, a few other extras not on the dvd.

thanks guys

How about the other various companies' blu-rays? (I know breaking off of original topic)

Tokyo Shock

Five Element Ninjas - heard this is excellent

The Deadly Duo

Heroes Two - see that you mentioned this is good as well

Dragon Dynasty

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Five Deadly Venoms

I assume these are mostly upconverts and not true 1080p resultion?

thanks guys

How about the other various companies' blu-rays? (I know breaking off of original topic)

Tokyo Shock

Five Element Ninjas - heard this is excellent

The Deadly Duo

Heroes Two - see you mentioned this is good as well

Dragon Dynasty

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Five Deadly Venoms

I assume these are mostly upconverts and not true 1080p resultion?

With the exception of 36th Chamber, these all ARE true 1080p. In fact, I'd say Heroes Two and Five Deadly Venoms look the best. Deadly Duo is a bit edge enhanced (I find myself turning down the sharpness on my TV!) and Five Element Ninjas is a pinch softer, but still sharper than the DVD.

36th Chamber, on the other hand, is a disaster. Not only is it 1080i, but it's also a PAL-to-NTSC improper conversion, like the Well Go Shaws. Aside from that, it may also be an upconvert in some capacity, as I honestly couldn't make out any additional detail over the DVD. It's a shame, as the screencaps from the European blus of the film look gorgeous!

With the exception of 36th Chamber, these all ARE true 1080p. In fact, I'd say Heroes Two and Five Deadly Venoms look the best. Deadly Duo is a bit edge enhanced (I find myself turning down the sharpness on my TV!) and Five Element Ninjas is a pinch softer, but still sharper than the DVD.

36th Chamber, on the other hand, is a disaster. Not only is it 1080i, but it's also a PAL-to-NTSC improper conversion, like the Well Go Shaws. Aside from that, it may also be an upconvert in some capacity, as I honestly couldn't make out any additional detail over the DVD. It's a shame, as the screencaps from the European blus of the film look gorgeous!

Excellent - thanks for the info!

Archived