Well Go USA Shaw Bros. Blu-Rays

Ronin

Has any one got their hands on one of these blu-rays yet? Supposedly, today is the release date, but hkflix and amazon don't appear to have them in stock yet. I was anxious to see how good their quality was on these.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best Buy told me that are backordered

When I briefly talked to someone at WellGo today, they said that they haven't got them in yet.

i heard they've been put back until 27th April.

Well Go got them in today and are apparently packing them to ship out. They're also going to send me the specs for the blu rays (video and audio).

Fang Shih-yu

Great to find this out! I look forward to seeing "The Delightful Forest" in particular....

Fang Shih-yu

I'm looking forward to "The Heroic Ones" on BD, too.... In other Blu-ray news, let's hope Tokyo Shock has no delay in releasing the BD for "Heroes Two" in June! If the Chen Kuan Tai interview [on the DVD] is reworked to be "anamorphic" for this, then fans for this movie will be more than satisfied with this disc! Here's hoping :angel: ....

Fang Shih-yu

Amazon has the Well Go BDs of "The Heroic Ones":bigsmile: and "The Delightful Forest":bigsmile: in stock, in case there are some who don't know....

HEROIC ONES is, as expected, worthless shit.

filtered to death (Wax Faces), no fine grain left at all and AGAIN: encoded by total amateurs, interlaced at 29.97 frames.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ALL THESE AMATEURS?

ecd8f276606045.gif95e50d76606011.gif

and YES; i CAN Do it better. i have Bluray Master in 25fps of an old Taiwan Swordsplay Movie (REDRESS) here and converted it to progressive 23.976 1080p

Fang Shih-yu

As it goes with "The Heroic Ones", so it must be for the other Well Go/Shaw BDs? Seems like it. Awaiting anyone else's feelings on their Well Go BD purchase:neutral:....

Now, I should be angry, I REALLY should... but in all honesty, I expected a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer for these. The Well Go DVDs were already like this to begin with, so it's no shocker the blu-rays would follow suit. The reason I got pissed at Dragon Dynasty for 36th Chamber was due to the fact that their DVD was in proper 24p progressive scan at it's original proper film speed, while the blu-ray was a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer.

So yeah, not even remotely surprised Well Go pulled this shit. God help us when they attempt to release Ip Man :sad:

Fang Shih-yu

A Well Go rep gave mention of "pixilation" problems on some copies of "The Delightful Forest" BD in an email today to me:squigglemouth:; anybody ever exchange emails with a "Jason" from Well Go? I'm hoping he's not the ONLY one running the business!:tongue:

Now, I should be angry, I REALLY should... but in all honesty, I expected a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer for these. The Well Go DVDs were already like this to begin with, so it's no shocker the blu-rays would follow suit. The reason I got pissed at Dragon Dynasty for 36th Chamber was due to the fact that their DVD was in proper 24p progressive scan at it's original proper film speed, while the blu-ray was a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer.

So yeah, not even remotely surprised Well Go pulled this shit. God help us when they attempt to release Ip Man :sad:

Gotta agree. I fully expected them to release a sub par product, and that's exactly what they did. It is still amazing to me that legit companies can't seem to produce competent blu-rays. Oh well, more money saved.

I would hope that since Ip Man is a newer film that it would be harder to mess up. I have the HK blu-ray, so I am not too concerned.

Just got in Delightful Forrest and Brothers Five, nothing on the packaging to indicate video format, hell it even has a DVD Video Logo and Region 1 in the bottom corner. It also only lists a stereo mix which means at least they maybe non-remixed FWIW.

Some though seriously goofed on the specs though.

Kung Foolery

Does anyone have any clue as to how these companies just can't seem to get it right?

Seriously.

Is it too expensive to do it right?

It's almost as if they are trying to screw it up.

How hard can it be?

It's almost like I want to support bootleg dvds again.

These legit companies had their shot at this, and with exception to a few titles have dropped the ball in a major way.

Why should I continue to support legit, licensed companies who don't care?

Fang Shih-yu

Are some companies in over their heads the moment they go Blu-ray? It feels like the smaller the company, the more the chance there may be a negative result! :tinysmile_angry2_t: (I say "may" because we're still awaiting Media Blasters/Tokyo Shocks' first BD releases! Arguably, aside from a few mis-steps, MB/TS DVDs of Shaw movies look a notch better than Dragon Dynasty's DVDs; based on this, the expectations on their BDs are VERY high!) Then again, there's more than plenty of major companies who have enough clout to put out the best BDs, and sometimes, even THEY drop the ball! (This especially happens with "catalog" titles; the older they are, the greater potential for DISASTER!) Big company OR small, you DON'T rush the producing of BDs!:nerd:

FWIW, detailed info on two of the discs here:

The Heroic Ones

and here:

Delightful Forest

I am surprised to see that it looks like neither of these have the 5.1 audio mixes. I guess that's good? Anyone seen these in motion care to comment? How are the subtitle fonts?

FWIW, detailed info on two of the discs here:

The Heroic Ones

and here:

Delightful Forest

I am surprised to see that it looks like neither of these have the 5.1 audio mixes. I guess that's good? Anyone seen these in motion care to comment? How are the subtitle fonts?

Please don't get them started on the 5.1 mixed audios:sad:, I made the mistake of that long ago...

Good. If these do in fact have mono, I will definitely be picking them up, most especially HEROIC ONES. I recently found an Italian DVD with the original mono sound, but no English subs. There are some titles that I can live with the 5.1 remix, but HEROIC ONES is a crime against the form.

Fang Shih-yu

The subtitles for Well Go's DVD of "The Heroic Ones" were messed up, though I have seen WORSE!:cry: Many typos....

Fang Shih-yu

Save for some flaws in the playback of the disc I got, the Well Go USA Blu-ray of "The Delightful Forest " IMPROVES on the DVD!:bigsmile: Indeed, the Mandarin audio track is ABSOLUTELY original and in strong mono, as is the English dub! The English subtitles are reduced in size and in a different font; there are no changes in the copy. The picture compares favorably to Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty's DVDs with the little extra bit of magic that comes from Blu-ray! For those who like original [Mandarin] soundtracks, this is one STRONG reason to get this BD.:smile: Too bad Well Go didn't have it on the DVD; for those who wanted it, and don't have a Blu-ray player yet...you got hosed.:sad: This is only MY opinion, naturally, but having sat through both the DVD and BD of this, I KNOW the BD is superior! The only bad thing is that it may require you (AND me) having to return MORE than one defective BD before you get one that plays OK all the way!:cry: I think it may actually be WORTH the hassle! Well Go actually got something right; fascinating....:neutral:

Thanks!

I'm assuming complaints about the audio on the DVDs were so overwhelming, they knew they'd made a mistake - it's good they've included the mono soundtracks.

However, the generally overlooked problems (subtitles and video quality) remain.

Fang Shih-yu

My brother got me a copy via Amazon!:smile: Some minor moments of pixilation (if I got the terminology right) happened early in the playback; the picture never froze, so I watched it through. Well Go's quality control was not on top of this like "ugly on an ape"!:kiss: Let's hope they get things corrected, because "TDF" BD is (otherwise) quality product!... Anyone in these forums who gets a GOOD copy of ANY Well Go BD, please state WHICH one and WHERE in this thread!:nerd: Thank you!:bigsmile:

Now that these are confirmed to have mono, I'm excited. I'll wait and see if the problems like pixellation are inconsistent though.

There's reports that it's interlaced. Is it that, or PAL>NTSC like Dragon Dynasty's first two BDs? Maybe it is progressive?

Archived