Well Go USA Shaw Bros. Blu-Rays

Ronin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's both potentially amazing and horrifiying at the same time.

That pretty much sums up my reaction. I don't know how I missed this thread to begin with, but I can't say I'm overjoyed. While Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty have proven themselves with their DVD releases of the Shaw Brothers films enough to keep us optimistic with their upcoming blu-rays, Well Go has been more miss than hit. So far, they've basically been region 1 IVLs with only an English dub being the only difference.

Hell, I finally watched a Well Go Shaw Brothers DVD for the first time last weekend, which was Heroes Shed No Tears. Damn, the remix was annoying. Not only did we get the usual new sounds over old ones, but there were times where the original mono music and the newer stereo master music weren't in sync!

So yeah, I can't say I'm too enthused yet. But then again, it could be worse... Image could be announcing Shaw blu-rays :tongue:

So yeah, I can't say I'm too enthused yet. But then again, it could be worse... Image could be announcing Shaw blu-rays :tongue:

At least those would be in Mono! :)

As i have just got Blu ray i was excited until i saw they were probably going to be 5.1 remix only.

Heroic Ones is screwed everywhere, the UK dvd has original mono but not anamorphic all others seem to have 5.1 remix only which really screws up the sound.

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

Killer Meteor
As i have just got Blu ray i was excited until i saw they were probably going to be 5.1 remix only.

Heroic Ones is screwed everywhere, the UK dvd has original mono but not anamorphic all others seem to have 5.1 remix only which really screws up the sound.

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

The German DVD is anamorphic, mandarin mono and has English subs.

These will probably be genuine HD, but it's a shame they didn't get such masters in the first place for the DVDs! If they've been listening, maybe there will be mono, but I don't bet on it!

Shaolin Patriot
I'm going to try to speak to someone at Well Go today. Will report back if sucessful!

h

I'm hoping that they can reveal what their complete lineup is for 2010.

Morgoth Bauglir
At least those would be in Mono! :)

What?! That's messed up. For the first time ever I'm thinking of getting a blu ray player:tinysmile_angry2_t:

What?! That's messed up. For the first time ever I'm thinking of getting a blu ray player:tinysmile_angry2_t:

No, I meant the benefit of an Image Blu-ray vs a Well-Go

Phew, I'm glad I misread. Blu Ray is an expense I don't want to have.

But what if, just what if... the Well Go blu-rays are in mono? :wink: Eh, then again, probably won't happen :sad:

kungfusamurai

I hope they're using a high definition source, and not upconverting a standard definition master into 1080p.

KFS

I hope they're using a high definition source, and not upconverting a standard definition master into 1080p.

KFS

Dear lord, just imagine... a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced standard definition transfer upscaled to 1080p... God help us :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Dear lord, just imagine... a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced standard definition transfer upscaled to 1080p... God help us :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Your God apparently doesn't work at Dragon Dynasty. I was talking to the people at WellGo today, I'll be getting these for review so hopefully we'll get some classic kung fu in HD (with bad 5.1 mixes, but who knows).

Your God apparently doesn't work at Dragon Dynasty. I was talking to the people at WellGo today, I'll be getting these for review so hopefully we'll get some classic kung fu in HD (with bad 5.1 mixes, but who knows).

I emailed them recently when I re-noticed the Blu-Rays.

Although the DVDs were clearly poorly, it could be possible we'll get better on Blu-Ray.

Fang Shih-yu

The end result could be along the lines of the BCI "Opium and the Kung Fu Master" Blu-ray.... While I did not get one, I recall feedback about it on Amazon where some said the BD did not improve upon the DVD, image wise. The Media Blasters "The Deadly Duo" BD (IF it materializes at all) may be THE first good BD of a Shaw because they have ALWAYS been working from HD masters! I await the BD version of "The Delightful Forest", myself....:bigsmile:

The end result could be along the lines of the BCI "Opium and the Kung Fu Master" Blu-ray.... While I did not get one, I recall feedback about it on Amazon where some said the BD did not improve upon the DVD, image wise. The Media Blasters "The Deadly Duo" BD (IF it materializes at all) may be THE first good BD of a Shaw because they have ALWAYS been working from HD masters! I await the BD version of "The Delightful Forest", myself....:bigsmile:

Ummm... the BCI blu-ray of Opium and the Kung Fu Master is definitely an improvement over the DVD. Here are two positive reviews:

DVD Talk

DVD Beaver

BCI did an excellent job - better than what Dragon Dynasty did with 36th Chamber of Shaolin. If Well Go USA could do as well as BCI with their blu-ray releases, I would be very happy. I doubt that is going to happen, though. I have high hopes for Media Blasters, but we will see (if they ever manage to get the disc out).

Oh, and BCI, Dragon Dynasty and Media Blasters have all worked from HD masters AFAIK. It's just that some of them don't know what to do with them <cough>Dragon Dynasty blu-rays<cough>.

Fang Shih-yu

Oh, and it's good to hear more positive words about BD "Opium..."! That will make hunting down a copy worthwhile, especially if buzz about Funimation's DVD of "Opium..." is less than favorable. Thanks for giving enough new info to help this "junior member" along!...

Oh, and it's good to hear more positive words about BD "Opium..."! That will make hunting down a copy worthwhile, especially if buzz about Funimation's DVD of "Opium..." is less than favorable. Thanks for giving enough new info to help this "junior member" along!...

You can still find a copy for under fifteen bucks at DeepDiscount.com, free shipping:

Opium and the Kung Fu Master blu-ray

Certainly beats the high prices on Amazon or eBay :wink:

Archived