Ong Bak 3 Teaser Trailer

VenomsFan

Wow, certain elements of this film look really surreal. But, you know what? It looks amazing! How many different reincarnations of Tony Jaa were in this one? Beaten and bloody version, made up goth version, Bearded Beggar Su version and clad in white hero version.

I'm bloody excited.

Nice point. Any fan of he genre can see Jaa really knows his films and respect for the MA genre. And who would have thought of an original storyline. Nice scoring, intensity of Bruce Lee to match.

Gotta love the wide shot of all the 100+ guards layed to waste at the palace grounds.

My oh my,,,

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fucking epic.

Now people can stop whining about the name since we actually see the Ong Bak getting made.

Jaa is truely making something unique, people that don't like it can go back to their pussy pg-13 movies:angel:

VenomsFan
First review of ONG BAK 3. From the sound of it, looks like it is a lot lighter on the action:

http://www.thaicinema.org/reviews_56ongbak3.asp

Far fewer fights and death defying stunts? This is coming from a reviewer that didnt't think much of Ong Bak 2. So I take it with a grain of salt.

This is what he said about Ong Bak 2:

Ong Bak 2 may not exemplify what filmmakers can do but rather what a single actor can physically do without stunts and special effects. That man is Tony Jaa and his martial arts talent solely makes this otherwise mediocre action movie worth watching.

Heywood Jahitme

That's a pretty accurate summary of Ong Bak 2.

If part 3 really is light on the action, one would expect (hope) that what's left is quality action.

VenomsFan
That's a pretty accurate summary of Ong Bak 2.

If part 3 really is light on the action, one would expect (hope) that what's left is quality action.

It looks like the spiritual part of the story can throw off action junkies (understandable). Personally, I am looking towards seeing a film that touches that part of martial arts again. And not the traditional run of the mill ma fighting we're used to.

I don't think anyone is concerned that the action will lack in quality. But because they way Part 2 ended, the story has got to tie it all in for the audience. Let's see if Jaa can do it.

thedirtytiger

I went to the VIP premier of Ong Bak 3 last Tuesday and I am still thinking about what I can say about it. I feel the aforementioned review is a fair reflection on the movie. The fight scenes though few were pretty decent. In between was too much pointlessness and talking and boring Buddhism stuff that I don't really nor want to make sense of. The end of the film was sort of weird and I don't understand it. I felt somewhat dissapointed by it and I feel it will dissapoint most people who are looking for the visceral thrills they got from watching Ong Bak part 1. However it is in some ways a good film, the cinematography was very nice and the music was great, it was quite well crafted - just too boring to follow up the other 2.

mrnicejai

but the point of Ong Bak is tons of nonstop bone crunching action and a little bit of who gives a crap.. Now it looks like tons of who gives a crap and very little action?

Looks like IP Man 2 takes this summers martial arts movie crown.

VenomsFan
but the point of Ong Bak is tons of nonstop bone crunching action and a little bit of who gives a crap.. Now it looks like tons of who gives a crap and very little action?

Looks like IP Man 2 takes this summers martial arts movie crown.

mrnicejai and dirtytiger, how do you guys rate Ong Bak 2 compared to Ip Man 1 or 2 or even Ong Bak 1?

The reason I ask is I recall a handful of negative reviews when Ong Bak 2 came out. :ooh:

thedirtytiger

Well Tony Ja is still good at the action, but they gave him too much control. He never wrote or directed before until Ong Bak 2 and the problems they had on that were pretty well documented. 2 cost so much money that they made 3 just to try and recoup some of the loss, so it was made relatively cheaply. Action takes time and money, so more time filled ith talking = cheaper film. It could have benn better I admit, but the action contained within is pretty high on the adrenometer ! It is certainly worth seeing once. Let's hope they can all get over this, Ja can get back to being guided by good people and kick some ass ( written and directed by other people ) in another good movie soon. There is still the rumoured 'Chocolate 2' and 'Tony Ja / Jeeja' project in the pipelines supposedly, so let's see where he goes next...

thedirtytiger

In answer to your question, I felt that overall, the action in Ong Bak 2 beat the crap out of Ip Man, however, Ip Man was very well written, well acted, well scripted and overall technically very well executed - so as a whole Ip Man was the better movie. Ip Man 2 looks quite good, but again I don't think it will exactly be an action fest. Hope it has more action than part 1 did.

mrnicejai

Venoms - I haven't watched IPM2 yet but comparing OB2 to IpMan 1 OB breaks no new ground in my opinion. Yes there's a lot of action but it was all chop suey since he tried to throw everything under the sun into it. Like putting MMA moves and ninjas into ancient Thailand... Regarding IPM1 I totally agree with dirtytiger it was a better movie overall than OB2. It didn't need IP Man doing monkey style and breakdance fu inorder to sell it. It told a coherent story and Donnie really succeeded in getting into the character.

In any case I heard Tony Jaa had a mental break down from doing OB2 so maybe that had an effect on how OB3 turned out.. if indeed it's really as bad as the early reviewers say.

Like putting MMA moves and ninjas into ancient Thailand....

To be fair, those "MMA moves" such as the arnbar come from judo, which was in turn derived from Chinese/Mongolian wrestling, or shuai jiao, which can be traced back to its earliest roots at about 2697 BC and used by the Yellow Emperor's army.

Here's some set to the Wong Fei Hung theme song :nerd: :

6IjmnMaCk2Y

^ Okay Jujitsu in ancient Thailand.... =\ I know Jujitsu comes from Shuai Chiao but Shuai Chiao does not have ground submissions like Jujitsu does. Some Chinese martial arts contain ground fighting, but still they're not of the same kind sophistication as what's seen in Jujitsu. More like leg locks and take downs to kneeling position armbars.

^ Okay Jujitsu in ancient Thailand.... =\ I know Jujitsu comes from Shuai Chiao but Shuai Chiao does not have ground submissions like Jujitsu does. Some Chinese martial arts contain ground fighting, but still they're not of the same kind sophistication as what's seen in Jujitsu. More like leg locks and take downs to kneeling position armbars.

True, true, most of that stuff is sport-based anyway and not for battlefield combat:

news200907074.jpg

crazedjustice888

Hey guys, my Hung Gar sifu also teaches Shuai Chiao. The system does have ground fighting like Jiu-Jitsu and it also has stand up grappling like Judo, since both can trace roots to it. All of these new styles are just old ones repackaged with different emphasis on movements. Its like my sifu told me. There is only so many ways to bend an elbow.

Hope this helps.

Drunken Monk

It’s interesting to see how fans of the genre have so many different views on modern martial arts films. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed the hodgepodge of styles exhibited in “Ong Bak 2” but that’s because I’m from the school of though that believes anything can be put into a film, as long as it looks good within the cinematic context. I didn’t feel any style or moves in “Ong Bak 2” looked out of place. The only thing that annoys me is when Thai productions try to pull off huge set pieces too often. I’d prefer to see Tony Jaa fighting one on one with traditional styles than see him back flip off an elephant, onto a rhino, leaping onto a horse and then kneeing someone in the face all while his legs are frozen by liquid nitrogen. I’m a traditionalist at heart but I love the incorporation of modern styles into moves set in older times.

Space- Even those Chinese ground submission Chin-Na pics you have posted up there have been debunked as being Japanese influenced techniques. The authors book was written during a time in Taiwan when there was a large Japanese occupation and probably as a response to Japanese jujitsu observed there. No other such pics with techniques like those were found in any other Chinese kung fu manuals or schools besides those found in that particular authors book.

Hey guys, my Hung Gar sifu also teaches Shuai Chiao. The system does have ground fighting like Jiu-Jitsu and it also has stand up grappling like Judo, since both can trace roots to it.

Hope this helps.

Who did he learn Shuai Chiao from? You sure your sifu just didn't take these submission techniques and just incorporated them into your system? I've seen Shaui Chiao using throws and locks but never ground submission techniques. Even John Wang who's a student of the great Shuai Chiao Grandmaster Chang Tung Sheng has said that they don't do ground submissions. If you can give me a legit source and pics or vids of these Chinese submission techniques that would be cool to see. If you do claim to have a legit lineage of Shuai Chiao that has ground submissions I invite you over to sign up at rumsoakedfist.org to debate this with the experts. Sifu John Wang is there as well.

crazedjustice888
Who did he learn Shuai Chiao from? You sure your sifu just didn't take these submission techniques and just incorporated them into your system? I've seen Shaui Chiao using throws and locks but never ground submission techniques. Even John Wang who's a student of the great Shuai Chiao Grandmaster Chang Tung Sheng has said that they don't do ground submissions. If you can give me a legit source and pics or vids of these Chinese submission techniques that would be cool to see. If you do claim to have a legit lineage of Shuai Chiao that has ground submissions I invite you over to sign up at rumsoakedfist.org to debate this with the experts. Sifu John Wang is there as well.

Here is my sifus website. Feel free to give him a call. He doesn't teach me Shuai Chiao, but Hung Gar, but I see his classes because I am taught during his Shuai Chiao time.

http://combatmixedmartialarts.com/index.html

Interesting review, I for one liked the dance scenes in part 2, I've seen a lot of people complain about it, I thought it was edited perfectly with the music, and Jaa does some amazing acrobatics that lead up to a great fight, then again I've gained an interest in Kabuki and Chinese opera through the KF and Samurai films over the years.

If anything I thought there may have been to many fight scenes in part 2, some of the scenes could have been better as flashbacks in part 3 to even them out. I can't wait to see this:nerd:

Interesting review, I for one liked the dance scenes in part 2, I've seen a lot of people complain about it, I thought it was edited perfectly with the music, and Jaa does some amazing acrobatics that lead up to a great fight, then again I've gained an interest in Kabuki and Chinese opera through the KF and Samurai films over the years.

If anything I thought there may have been to many fight scenes in part 2, some of the scenes could have been better as flashbacks in part 3 to even them out. I can't wait to see this:nerd:

Agreed Tosh. When you realize what Jaa is trying to do for Thai culture as well as making good action movies, you can appreciate his work more.

All of his movies Thai culture more and more, you notice that? We are watching work that has a very deep meaning to this man and its more than elbows and fight scenes.

In the end a 2 + hour epic of Ong Bak 2 and 3 released in all theatres at one time, should have been the distro route indeed.

Space- Even those Chinese ground submission Chin-Na pics you have posted up there have been debunked as being Japanese influenced techniques. The authors book was written during a time in Taiwan when there was a large Japanese occupation and probably as a response to Japanese jujitsu observed there. No other such pics with techniques like those were found in any other Chinese kung fu manuals or schools besides those found in that particular authors book.

OK, thanks for the clarification, I didn't know. In my Sanshou/Sanda classes we learned a couple ground submissions that weren't very useful and some ground wrestling (on industrial carpet baby).

Sorry to get off topic guys! :crossedlips:

Archived