Ong Bak 3 Teaser Trailer

VenomsFan

One thing I’ve noticed with a number of “Ong Bak 2” reviews is that people seem to be disappointed that Tony Jaa decided to use his version of traditional styles. I think a large part of the audience wanted him to stick with simply kneeing, elbowing and bashing the shit out of people. I, for one, prefer that he use styles in his films. While the sheer force of some of his more aggressive blows are certainly something to behold, I lean more towards traditional shapes, even for Tony. Why? Because I have faith that he can produce something incredible. His drunken fist, crane and tiger styles in “Ong Bak 2” were all wonderful, in my eyes. I thoroughly enjoyed him displaying something other than what his prior movies had dictated.

I hope he continues his shapes in the third outing. Judging from the trailer, this might not be so, but it’s only a small portion of fight footage and what with reports stating Tony will be utilizing a “no bone” style, I have my faith firmly invested in this not disappointing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so surprised at people bashing Jaa. I mean, he's no Jackie and never will be( at least in terms of stunts), but he's the best thing out there. He represents raw, fierce, spectacular MA, like no one else. Although everybody is jumping on Muai Thai wagon these days, nobody does it so perfect, so flawless as Jaa. Not Chupong, not Mike B, not Jeeja. Some of the stuff he does, like running on the heads, kicking a target 7 feet high - come on - who does that? I don't think even Biao in his prime could do that

And he shows a lot of never before seen stuff in his every movie. That long bone breaking scene in TYG - what other martial artist did that, although the idea is so simple?

. With his OB2 he showed that he's a better director than Donnie Yen, and arguably a better fight choreographer and action director than Yen. In my opinion, he's already surpassed Jet.

I agree, he's done only 4 movies in 8 years, but great Bruce didn't leave us a dozen of movies either.

Plus, the fact that he's not using wires when almost every MA movie these days is littered with flying people, when even so-called biopics show us gravity defying Jet(Fearless) and Yen( Ip Man), makes him a standout in my view.

His movies are not perfect, but they showcase amazing abilities of a human being

Why all the pointless comparisions between Jaa, Yen & Li? Can't we appreciate each for his own skills? It's not like we have a dozen guys to replace them. Wu Jing has had two decent films, he's never gonna achieve his potential. Let's just enjoy what we have without all the stupid comparisions. It's like arguing over who is better: Batman or Spiderman, DUMB.

Plus, the fact that he's not using wires when almost every MA movie these days is littered with flying people, when even so-called biopics show us gravity defying Jet(Fearless) and Yen( Ip Man), makes him a standout in my view.

His movies are not perfect, but they showcase amazing abilities of a human being

Ong Bak 2 had a little wire effects

Anywho...dont get me wrong, I love Tony jaa and his films are very entertaining...Ong Bak 2 being his best to date....but shit...people act like " OMG!11!!! TONY JAA IS THE BEST EVER did U SEE OONG BAK WEN HE KNEEd THE GUY AND JUMPEd UP HIGH ON THAT GUY SHOULDEr HE IS THE BESTEST!!! HE IS WAY BETTER THAN JACKIE AND JET HE IS THE NEXT BRUCE"

The guy is a good present day MA actor....but shit hes done 3 FILMS!!! He still has yet to have his masterpiece and people are already saying hes better than Jet, Jackie, and Donnie...cmon now....and what gets me is the people that are saying his better than Jet/Jackie/Donnie dont even like/havnt seen ONG BAK 2!!!That means they truley believe off of Ong Bak and Protector that he makes better movies than those 3....

Drunken Master 1/2

Police Story (all)

AoG 1 and 2

Crime Story

Young Master

Fearless Hyena

Wheels on Meals

Project A 1 and 2

Fearless

Fist of Legend

Tai Chi master

New Legend of shaolin

Shaolin Temple

Martial Arts from Shaolin

OUATIC 1-3

Fong Sai Yuk 1/2

Hero

SPL

Flashpoint

Ip Man

Fist of red dragon

DTG

Seven Swords

Iron Monkey

Cmon now!!!!!! And thats not close to allllll the great works those 3 have given us!!! For the last 30 years those guys have been delivering and people sit here and say Jaa is way better because he made 2 shit films with good fight scenes, and one good MA film that people complain about because he actually uses styles....

thats why i get annoyed....Tony jaa is great, he is awsome...has so much potential....but he hasnt came close to passing them 3 yet

I don’t really understand the Tony Jaa/Jackie Chan comparisons either. If anything the debate should be over who is the most exciting martial arts star today. I’m sure it isn’t Jackie Chan simply because we know his Hollywood efforts are becoming increasingly more painful to sit through and his homeland efforts are underwhelming. However, Jackie had his time. During the eighties, everyone was excited about the new Jackie Chan project. Back then, seeing the teaser for “Police Story 2” was just as exciting as seeing this teaser for the third “Ong Bak.” Time, however, has changed. Weirdly, ability has changed. Jackie was doing things nobody had seen before and now Tony Jaa is doing the same. Both had to compete with others trying to imitate them, especially Jaa and this horribly annoying surge of Thai boxing-esque choreography.

The argument should be over who is hot right now. Do you look forward more to Donnie Yen’s efforts, Tony Jaa’s new movies or, perhaps, another star out of a plethora of people still in the genre? I, for one, became stupidly excited over Donnie Yen after watching “Sha Po Lang” and who can forget the finale of “Flashpoint?” I was enamored with skills and originality. However, after seeing his bout with Cung Le in “Bodyguards and Assassins,” I was left feeling very underwhelmed.

I still think Donnie, if given the control he desires, can deliver perfection. However, Tony Jaa is hot on his heels, while people like Wu Jing and Jeeja Yanin fall tragically behind.

I can already foresee how the movie will played out. Picking up right where Ong Bak 2 left off, Tony Jaa will get tortured to near death and then he gets resurrected somehow and then goes through some sort of spiritual training so that he can unleashed unholy vengeance on those who try to kill him. Its going to have Tony screaming at the top of his lungs like a raving lunatic for next half of the movie as he goes on an all you-can-eat fight fest. Along the way, I just hope there is some more substance to the story and Tony's acting (or lack-of) because I'm getting tired of his same shtick with dialogues involving "Where's my elephant!" or "Yarghhhh!". Even a piece of rock has much more of a personality than Tony. Gimme something so I can feel personally invested to the action and the characters.

Her's another thought. Can Tony do the stuff Yen or Adkins do? I'm pretty sure he can. In front of the camera or behind it. Can Yen, Jet or Adkins do the same stuff Tony does? I don't think so.

Today Jaa offers the most exciting stuff on the market. At least for me.

I can miss True Legend or Ip Man 2 without any regret( and I probably will), but OB3 is a must see for me

I can miss True Legend or Ip Man 2 without any regret( and I probably will), but OB3 is a must see for me

That’s an interesting viewpoint and one I don’t really agree with, but you’re entitled to it. I am ready to view every new martial arts movie I can get my filthy paws on. Why? Because I’m excited about what modern movie makers have to offer. Every movie is different and there is certainly a sense of “one upping” right now, where each fight choreographer tries to bring something new to the genre. It’s an exciting time for martial arts lovers. With a new Woo Ping movie being released? I’m as excited as can be. It’s the same with “Shaolin,” “Chinese Zodiac,” “Ong Bak 3,” “Ip Man 2” etc. I can’t wait to see what’s being injected into this genre I love so much.

Usually, I try, too, but lately watching every MA film is not that important for me anymore. I skipped last Wu Jing's movie as well as Coweb and Rebel. The trailers didn't impressed me and the reviewers weren't raving either. Maybe, with age, I started to value my time more ;)

I'm curious to see the latest Woo Ping's effort, but I'm not psyched about it

Usually, I try, too, but lately watching every MA film is not that important for me anymore. I skipped last Wu Jing's movie as well as Coweb and Rebel. The trailers didn't impressed me and the reviewers weren't raving either. Maybe, with age, I started to value my time more ;)

I'm curious to see the latest Woo Ping's effort, but I'm not psyched about it

Missing out on "The Rebel" is a mistake in my opinion. Like I've said, you could take the martial arts action out and it would still be a fantastic film. Add the fights and you have a modern martial arts classic.

Morgoth Bauglir
Her's another thought. Can Tony do the stuff Yen or Adkins do? I'm pretty sure he can. In front of the camera or behind it. Can Yen, Jet or Adkins do the same stuff Tony does? I don't think so.

Today Jaa offers the most exciting stuff on the market. At least for me.

No way Jaa can compete with Yen's handwork. And when I want to see a good one on one fight, I'll always take Yen. I'm not trying to knock Jaa, but I think Yen is far superior in some areas.

Jackie >>>>>> Jaa

Jaa has been out 8 years and made 4 movies???

And in the last eight years how many good movies has Jackie made? It's also worth remembering in Jackie's heyday how frequently did the likes of Jackie and Sammo release movies?

You are right, there really is no comparison. While Jaa's Muay Thai looked amazing at first, the fights got extremely repetitive. ONG BAK 2 was a step in the right direction and it's the only Jaa movie I care about getting on BluRay (great deal at Best Buy this week, btw), because the fights had a nice variety and are worth watching and rewatching on their own. But Thai films are still in a rough form. The acting, scripts...everything but the fights are subpar. Jaa has far less charisma than Jackie or Jet, and he's even less charismatic than the early Donnie Yen. If athletic ability was all that counted, then Hung XinXin (or whatever Clubfoot goes by these days) should be the king of martial arts movies. He really could use some acting lessons. Only that goofy singer that starred in NINJA ASSASSIN is more corpse-like in the charisma department.

Guest Yi-Long
You are right, there really is no comparison. While Jaa's Muay Thai looked amazing at first, the fights got extremely repetitive. ONG BAK 2 was a step in the right direction and it's the only Jaa movie I care about getting on BluRay (great deal at Best Buy this week, btw), because the fights had a nice variety and are worth watching and rewatching on their own. But Thai films are still in a rough form. The acting, scripts...everything but the fights are subpar. Jaa has far less charisma than Jackie or Jet, and he's even less charismatic than the early Donnie Yen. If athletic ability was all that counted, then Hung XinXin (or whatever Clubfoot goes by these days) should be the king of martial arts movies. He really could use some acting lessons. Only that goofy singer that starred in NINJA ASSASSIN is more corpse-like in the charisma department.

The thousands of cheap kung fu flicks from the 70's weren't 'repetitive'!?

I disagree that thai action films are repetitive, and certainly not Jaa's movies.

Ong-Bak was fresh as hell, and Tom Yum Goong was even WAYYY better in the action-department, showing a wide variety of ambitious action-scenes, and all very different from one another. And from what I've seen from OB2, that is also very different.

Ofcourse you'll see some copycat-flicks, due to the succes of Jaa's movies, but you can hardly blame Jaa for that. That will also happen, just like it did with the kung-fu flicks in the 70's, the action-comedies in the 80's, the heroic-bloodshed movies, and the new-wave kung-fu boom in the early 90's. Not to mention the poetic wuxia flicks, and the big-army battle movies.

You say jaa has less charisma: I disagree again. The movies might not be very good, but he does a fine job in very poorly written roles. Jackie is hardly any better.

My opinion is that it's perhaps because even though he hasn't made that many movies (like another martial-arts legend who only made five movies but represented a paradigm shift) he has demonstrated (without wires) that even legends Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Sammo hung, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Yuen Biao did not achieve.

I remember seeing various Jackie, Jet or Yuen Biao moves that simply left you breathless. Speaking for myself but I think a lot of fans just haven't been Wowed by the sheer athleticism in a martial-arts film in a long time. OK he's made three films and three hugely influential films.

I mean we (as in a lot of posters on this website) consider who am I? To be Jackie Chan's last great film, more than a decade ago. Jet Li may be making better films, the same as Donnie Yen but for pure action they simply don't compare. As much as I like Donnie his films are sporadic action filled with lots of not exactly fascinating drama. You can't compare a few spread out martial-arts action sequences compared to the films of Tony Jaa. His films are unashamedly martial-arts action movies. True action genre gems, no pretence, no dressing them up pretending to be something they're not.

Let's be honest his physicality far surpasses all the current giants in martial-arts movies. Jackie and Jet are passed it, even Donnie at the height of his career couldn't physically cope with trying to out do Tony Jaa. I believe Donnie Yen's ego would attempt an all-out action movie if he had it in him physically.

Given enough time Tony Jaa will create a body of work relative to other stars and no doubt over time he will make some bad movies. But in my honest opinion he's already a martial-arts legend. The simple fact is the amount of imitators demonstrates this.

Guest Yi-Long
Ong Bak 2 had a little wire effects

Anywho...dont get me wrong, I love Tony jaa and his films are very entertaining...Ong Bak 2 being his best to date....but shit...people act like " OMG!11!!! TONY JAA IS THE BEST EVER did U SEE OONG BAK WEN HE KNEEd THE GUY AND JUMPEd UP HIGH ON THAT GUY SHOULDEr HE IS THE BESTEST!!! HE IS WAY BETTER THAN JACKIE AND JET HE IS THE NEXT BRUCE"

The guy is a good present day MA actor....but shit hes done 3 FILMS!!! He still has yet to have his masterpiece and people are already saying hes better than Jet, Jackie, and Donnie...cmon now....and what gets me is the people that are saying his better than Jet/Jackie/Donnie dont even like/havnt seen ONG BAK 2!!!That means they truley believe off of Ong Bak and Protector that he makes better movies than those 3....

-snip-

thats why i get annoyed....Tony jaa is great, he is awsome...has so much potential....but he hasnt came close to passing them 3 yet

Well.. when I say Tony is better than Jackie, it means NOW. Jackie hasn't done anything really worthwhile for over 15 years now.

When I say Tony is better than Jackie, I mean he's physically wayyy more impressive, even when Jackie was in his best period.

When I say Tony is better than Jackie, I mean that Tony has already provided us with close to 10 GREAT fights/action-sequences, in only 3 movies. Maybe Jackie has 15-20 that are REALLY good, but that's spread over WAYYY more movies.

When I say Tony is better than Jackie, I mean that Tony in 3 movies has already shown wayyy more ambitition and originality than Jackie in his whole career.

Tony could have easily done a whole bunch of easy follow-ups to Ong-Bak for 5-10 years orso, simple story, same old action moves, same kind of choreography. He didn't. With his 2nd movie he went international, showcased a shitload of different action-scenes, including a Jackie-style scene in the abandoned warehouse against the skating punks, which pretty much outdoes any simular scene Jackie has ever done. It has the 1-take staircase fight. It has the brutal fight in the beginning of the movie. It has some great one-on-one fights, and the huge gang-fight at the end with all the different locks and breaks you can think of.

...and with Ong-bak 2, he once again went for originality.

It shows commitment and ambition to show his audience something they haven't seen before. It shows a genuine love for the genre and a respect towards his fans. Something that has been missing from Jackie for a long long time now.

So yeah, I feel Tony has already surpassed Jackie. Ofcourse he doesn't have the impressive list that Jackie has, and I do agree it takes too long for a new Jaa movie to come out, but certainly at the moment, he is physically the most impressive martial artist leading man making movies, and as far as his ambition goes, it's shown on the screen, instead of bragged about in interviews.

The thousands of cheap kung fu flicks from the 70's weren't 'repetitive'!?

I disagree that thai action films are repetitive, and certainly not Jaa's movies.

If Jaa's movies were being compared to Bruce Lee clone movies, you would have an argument. But I've seen them compared to higher quality productions like MASTER KILLER which is laughable. ONG BAK: country bumpkin goes to big city to retrieve stolen statue from handicapped crime lord. TOM YUM GOONG: country bumpkin goes to Australia to retrieve elephant from tranny crime lord. No sir, no repetition here!

Tony could have easily done a whole bunch of easy follow-ups to Ong-Bak for 5-10 years orso, simple story, same old action moves, same kind of choreography. He didn't. With his 2nd movie he went international, showcased a shitload of different action-scenes, including a Jackie-style scene in the abandoned warehouse against the skating punks, which pretty much outdoes any simular scene Jackie has ever done. It has the 1-take staircase fight. It has the brutal fight in the beginning of the movie. It has some great one-on-one fights, and the huge gang-fight at the end with all the different locks and breaks you can think of.

The scene where Tony is attacked by thugs wielding harmless florescent bulbs? FEEL THE DANGER!!!

So yeah, I feel Tony has already surpassed Jackie. Ofcourse he doesn't have the impressive list that Jackie has, and I do agree it takes too long for a new Jaa movie to come out, but certainly at the moment, he is physically the most impressive martial artist leading man making movies, and as far as his ambition goes, it's shown on the screen, instead of bragged about in interviews.

In the 80s, Jackie was making two movies a year, including the two PROJECT As and the first two POLICE STORY movies, which Jaa hasn't come within light years of in terms of quality. Jaa takes 3-4 years to put out each "Tony Jaa" movie, and at the rate he's going, he'll be 50 by the time he makes his PROJECT A. Let's see how those flying knees and shin kicks feel at that age.

and his fight scenes ARE repetitive. Any trained martial artist can see the constant repeat of his "library of motion and moves" if you will. He impresses people who've never studied martial arts, because the nasty stunt bumps and full contact face shots distract people from the fact they are seeing the same 8 moves, over and over.

Not saying I don't like his work, and I think ONG BAK 2 was a huge improvement in many ways (and his least seen, go figure), but he ain't a legend. If he's a legend, then Billy Chong is a Demi-God. He is currently the best martial arts star and the best athlete, but that's like being the prettiest Kennedy girl. It's a DEAD genre. Gone the way of the Western. He's all we have and there is a strong tendency to overrate his work.

You say jaa has less charisma: I disagree again. The movies might not be very good, but he does a fine job in very poorly written roles. Jackie is hardly any better.

Let's see Jaa pull off a performance like Jackie's work in THE SHINJUKU INCIDENT. He can't, because he can't act...at all.

Christ people can't we have a Ong Bak 3 trailer thread without debating who's the greatest martial artist of all time.

And quite fucking frankly Kuo Chui rules over Jackie Chan:wink:

Well.. when I say Tony is better than Jackie, it means NOW. Jackie hasn't done anything really worthwhile for over 15 years now.

When I say Tony is better than Jackie, I mean he's physically wayyy more impressive, even when Jackie was in his best period.

When I say Tony is better than Jackie, I mean that Tony has already provided us with close to 10 GREAT fights/action-sequences, in only 3 movies. Maybe Jackie has 15-20 that are REALLY good, but that's spread over WAYYY more movies.

When I say Tony is better than Jackie, I mean that Tony in 3 movies has already shown wayyy more ambitition and originality than Jackie in his whole career.

...and with Ong-bak 2, he once again went for originality.

It shows commitment and ambition to show his audience something they haven't seen before. It shows a genuine love for the genre and a respect towards his fans. Something that has been missing from Jackie for a long long time now.

Dionbrother pretty much owned it already but ill add my 2 cents...

if Ong Bak is original....then all the Tiwan films from the 70s must have been written by Kurasowa

and how can u say "Ong Bak 2 he went for originality again' and you ain even see Ong Bak 2? That shows ur just on Jaa's jock strap!

" It has the 1-take staircase fight. It has the brutal fight in the beginning of the movie. It has some great one-on-one fights, and the huge gang-fight at the end with all the different locks and breaks you can think of."

while these fights were entertaining and I enjoyed, yes...none of this was ground breaking achievements....the 1 take scene was fun as hell, but was done 10 years prior in WWF...the huge "Gang fight" at the end wouldve been better....had each enemy not individually attacked looking like a bunch of dumb assess.... looked like a instructional video....

and Jaa hasnt had any note worthy duels yet...the closest imo being the Capoweara (sp) guy from TYG....Tony Jaa hasnt had a fight close to Jackies in Who Am I, or Snake in the Eagles Shadow and DEFF not anything to compare with Drunken Master 2

Morgoth Bauglir

Let's see Jaa pull off a performance like Jackie's work in THE SHINJUKU INCIDENT. He can't, because he can't act...at all.

I haven't seen Shinjuku, but Jackie blew me away in Crime Story. I don't think Jackie's a great actor, but he's about 150 notches above Jaa. But Jaa needs time to develop as an actor. Hopefully I'll see some improvement when I see Ong Bak 2.

I haven't seen Shinjuku, but Jackie blew me away in Crime Story. I don't think Jackie's a great actor, but he's about 150 notches above Jaa. But Jaa needs time to develop as an actor. Hopefully I'll see some improvement when I see Ong Bak 2.

I think his performance in New Police Story was awesome! I love that movie

Tony Jaa is still new to the mainstream, or mass audience; the two "Ong Bak" films that came have showcased his talent as a martial artist and his acrobatics, you can definitely see that, but as an actor he still has a long way to go.

I'd like to see him take a film in a modern day setting; a film where the action is second to a character drama. He's a good martial artist and good action on screen, but you can't really compare him to Jackie Chan; Jackie's pushed himself into dramatic roles, giving up the stuntwork and fighting he is so well known for, to a story with a character and drama. He's not the greatest actor in the world but he's managed it with respectable results. (Actually "Shinjuku Incident" and "Crime Story" are two of my favorites of his).

His fighting in "Shinjuku Incident" is sloppy brawling rather than any kind of martial arts form, but it works because it complements the background of his character in the film.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising him; as I said he still has a long way to go and I'll be interested to see where he goes with his career.

Archived