Fight Dragon TV series coming to DVD!

kungfusamurai

Haven't watched any episodes yet. I'm still on SHAWDOW WARRIORS!

:yociexp74:

Yeah now that you, Bob, Karlos, and The Splitta have hijacked this thread and been the only ones posting comments, I'm glad to hear your are digging SHADOW WARRIORS....great stuff.

Oh wait to get the thread back on topic...Kurata is in selected episodes.........sweet back on track!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Just got this at Suncoast today! :bigsmile::bigsmile: Only watched the first episode so far. TONS of action!!

Just got this at Suncoast today! :bigsmile::bigsmile: Only watched the first episode so far. TONS of action!!

They only get better IMO!!! I'm glad you were able to get it.

Here's to more Kurata and FIGHT! DRAGON. :bigsmile:

Morgoth Bauglir

I’m on episode 5 now. I love how there are new villains for each episode. Here’s the villain list so far-

Episode 1- Bolo

2- Chan Lau

3- Lee Ka Ting

4- I don’t recognize this guy. Nice acrobatics.

5- I don’t know this guy’s name. I pretty sure he’s in Lau Kar Leung’s Heroes of the East as the karate guy who faces Gordon Liu’s drunken style, and also maybe some Sonny Chiba movies.

And it’s awesome that Bruce Leung is the costar of the show, at least in the first few episodes.

Also, the warning at the end of the show had me cracking up- “Karate requires proper study. Do not attempt to imitate the karate you see on this program”.

Ah man, this series is sounding more and more cool with each forum post!

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and delve into the depths of someone's pants!.....errr.....ummm.....i mean.....Fight! Dragon and its cool action and characters. :tongue::wink:

FightDragon1.jpg

FightDragon2.jpg

FightDragon14.jpgFightDragon4.jpg

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I’m on episode 5 now. I love how there are new villains for each episode. Here’s the villain list so far-

5- I don’t know this guy’s name. I pretty sure he’s in Lau Kar Leung’s Heroes of the East as the karate guy who faces Gordon Liu’s drunken style, and also maybe some Sonny Chiba movies.

Right you are! I just had this discussion with Gorhama. He's the guy (I forget his name) that Gordon fights outside, and he yells "Are you drinking in a fight?!" I love that line. :xd:

Also, the warning at the end of the show had me cracking up- “Karate requires proper study. Do not attempt to imitate the karate you see on this program”.

Sadly, by the time I caught this warning it was too late. My arm should be out of a sling soon, and they're doing the best they can to reattach Jimmy's head. But I've learned my lesson... never play FIGHT! DRAGON without heeding the warning. :angel:

Ah man, this series is sounding more and more cool with each forum post!

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and delve into the depths of someone's pants!.....errr.....ummm.....i mean.....Fight! Dragon and its cool action and characters. :tongue::wink:

Maybe it'll arrive today bro! :bigsmile: In the meantime, er... perhaps you should keep your hands in your own pockets? :smile: LOL

Sadly, by the time I caught this warning it was too late. My arm should be out of a sling soon, and they're doing the best they can to reattach Jimmy's head. But I've learned my lesson... never play FIGHT! DRAGON without heeding the warning. :angel:

Maybe it'll arrive today bro! :bigsmile: In the meantime, er... perhaps you should keep your hands in your own pockets? :smile: LOL

Get well soon Bob, and fingers crossed that the 'new-wave' surgery can do something for poor Jimmy's 'old-skool' injuries! :xd:

Anyways, I will indeed follow your advice.....

Wig + Splitta + 'Hands in his own pockets' =

:wink:

Ok I watched 2 more episodes over the weekend and this show gets better and better with more and more fighting!

I know he's not known or mentioned in the same breath as the great kickers, but man Kurata has some great kicks in his aresenal and to go kick for kick with Bruce Liang and hang with him is something.

More and more Kurata is becoming one of my favorite martial arts actors.

Those of you on the fence about this set....get it you will not be dissapointed.

Morgoth Bauglir

Just got done watching the series. I’m kinda disappointed Bruce Leung never made a return. I think episode 5 was his last appearance. I can’t say the show’s great or anything, because it gets way too repetitious, but Kurata easily makes every episode worth watching. I already thought of Kurata as one of the greatest action stars of all time, but now I think even more highly of him. He made my jaw drop so many times with his speed and technique. Also Kojiro is great. This guy had me cracking up a lot. Love the episode where they are on the spooky amusement park ride.

My set finally arrived today!!!

:bigsmile:

As I ripped open the envelope and looked down at the box I wondered, has the power of Kurata-San somehow seeped into me?, because I'd TORN THE BOX IN HALF!! :tongue:

Wow, whoever said the packaging was flimsy was sure right! But at the price, to complain would be churlish.

I'll be watching a couple of eps tonight!

Kudos to the co. putting this out!

My set finally arrived today!!!

:bigsmile:

As I ripped open the envelope and looked down at the box I wondered, has the power of Kurata-San somehow seeped into me?, because I'd TORN THE BOX IN HALF!! :tongue:

Wow, whoever said the packaging was flimsy was sure right! But at the price, to complain would be churlish.

I'll be watching a couple of eps tonight!

Kudos to the co. putting this out!

Yes.....the power of Kurata-San while not in the same powerl level of Chiba-San is very close!!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the quality of the discs!!

Yes.....the power of Kurata-San while not in the same powerl level of Chiba-San is very close!!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the quality of the discs!!

I'm off to watch a couple of eps now before I hit the sack.

I'll post my thoughts tomorrow - but, hey, we all know it's great!!

Yeah, Kurata-San is awesome - but there is only one CHIBA-SAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tongue:

dionbrother

Watch the first few episodes, and found the pic quality and translations(I suspect were done by the reliable August Ragone), to be just fine. Most of the Toei tv shows from the 70s have the 16mm look.

My advice: play it on your Blu Ray Player if ye own one.

kungfusamurai

I'm still waiting for mine (ugh!). Not because the place I ordered it is bad. I just selected the cheapest shipping option, which is grouping everything together to ship at once. Unfortunately something else on that order is backordered.

I will post my thoughts on the series once I get it. I'm sure I'll be just as happy with it as everyone else has been.

KFS

That sounds like the true Spirit of Shorinji is in you man!!! :wink:

Still waiting for mine too:sad:

Still, I do live on a small island that tends to rain 364 1/2 days of the year, so it'll hopefully get washed onto my doorstep sometime soon. :tongue:

Am now six episodes in and man, this shit is GOOD!!

Sure, it's formula TV but when the formula is:

Kurata-San + guest star + ass-kicking + funky fashions - lots of unnecessary talking or plot = MAGNIFICENCE...

It can be forgiven!!

Can't wait to watch some more!!

:tongue:

kungfusamurai

I got my set today! I also received Iron King and Red Baron robot too! LOL @ Red Baron - I was scanning through one DVD and they fight a robot named Sphinxer, I kid you not. Sounds like, well, you know.. :)

My observations on what I saw (I just watched the first episode after scanning through all three discs):

1. The image looks pretty good on a 42" plasma using a blu ray player. It's probably shot on 16mm, so I doubt it will ever look as good as something shot for theatrical viewing. In other words, the graininess is there for good.

2. What was up with Bolo and all those unlit cigs in his mouth? Was his character just trying to cut down on smoking by having it unlit? Or did his character just not have any matches or a lighter handy? :)

3. The episode was really really short. I mean, 20 min? That's way shorter than US TV episodes from that same time period. The strange thing is that American and Japanese hour long shows both run about the same 45 to 50 minutes without commercials, from that same time period in TV history.

4. I'm not sure if it's a Japanese thing to have the lead character sing a theme song for their shows. In this case, I think Kurata San should have just stuck to kicking butt, and not singing that Lonely Dragon tune at the end!

5. I like the little disclaimer at the end of the episode warning not to try the karate fighting at home! LOL, like those wrestling disclaimers WWE keeps running now.

6. In one of the episodes I scanned through, there's a scene that's set in a gym, and there's a fight. I don't know which episode it was because it was on Play All. Anyway, the guy with the moustache fighting looked very much like the karate expert from Heroes of the East. I think he must have been one of the guys Kurata brought along for that film.

7. Mills Creek seems so intent on plugging this set with Bolo as the selling point, they not only have his picture on the cover, they have him listed twice on the back! Read the credits - Yang Sze AND Bolo Yeung are listed LOL!

Edit: Sorry Morgoth - I didn't realize I mentioned the same points you made earlier.

I should add that this series not only treats us to more of Kurata's great fighitng, but it also has a lot more of his other great quality - his great ki-ai's! I know that's a weird thing to say, but the problem with watching Kurata in all those HK films is you never hear his real scream as he fights. So when I heard it for the first time in The Executioner, it blew me away. I mean, he is more animal-sounding than Bruce Lee, and I think those are for real, not just for cinema like Bruce's. The Kurata Growl!!!

KFS

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah they are trying to sell this to Bolo fans, and he's only in the first episode. And he's not even one of the best villains on the show IMO. Not nearly as good as he is here-

GYy5mpCsbRQ

kungfusamurai
Yeah they are trying to sell this to Bolo fans, and he's only in the first episode. And he's not even one of the best villains on the show IMO. Not nearly as good as he is here-

GYy5mpCsbRQ

Yes, he shows up quite a few times in G Men. I hope Mills Creek is doing new projects, and not just recycling the stuff BCI put out. G Men 75 would be a great one to do for the, for the selected episodes with the HK and Macao story arcs. That's where all the kung fu guys show up. I've seen other episodes of the show, and they're mostly just police crime dramas without the martial arts.

I don't mind them selling the set as a Bolo vehicle. I just hope people don't get pissed and return it because they thought he would be in the whole show. The fights are great without his presence. But you can't blame Mills Creek for selling it on Bolo. I mean, the original title sequence for Fight Dragon did have the Kurata vs Bolo fight for most of the episodes, so even back in the 70s, people probably were expecting more Bolo.

KFS

dionbrother

They should do KEY HUNTER next, but I think FIGHT DRAGON was just a holdover from a BCI deal. Hence, the super cheap price. I know August is doing the 1960s Gamera subtitles for Cliff over at Shout! Factory and hasn't mentioned any other wild stuff...yet.

kungfusamurai
They should do KEY HUNTER next, but I think FIGHT DRAGON was just a holdover from a BCI deal. Hence, the super cheap price. I know August is doing the 1960s Gamera subtitles for Cliff over at Shout! Factory and hasn't mentioned any other wild stuff...yet.

If Cliff does decide to do the G Men episodes, he doesn't have to dig hard to find the specific episodes. They were all released on DVD in Japan. Unfortunately one of the sets is over $200US! I don't know how they got Fight Dragon for BCI. Did they just need to get permission to convert the Japanese DVDs and add the subs? If that was the case, then they could probably do the same with G Men.

I'm not familiar with Key Hunter. Did that have a lot of martial arts?

KFS

Key Hunter is the series many old-school Chiba heads ask me about. I haven't a clue what it's about, but it seems very popular!

Archived