Fight Dragon TV series coming to DVD!

kungfusamurai

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My set just arrived (literally), so yours are probably waiting at home. The back of the case looks slightly better than the front, but still would not win any design prizes. Packaging of the 3 DVDs inside is rather on the crappy side -- they are stacked together, each inside of a paper sleeve.

I've only played the beginning of episode 1 on the first disc. Definitely needs some remastering, but it's a lot better than watching the dubbed/spliced together Fighting Dragon movie. For those who have the Japanese release, please let us know how the picture quality compares to this one.

All in all, I guess we can't complain as it's just wonderful to finally have the entire series subbed. Even better that we got it for such a great price.

My set just arrived (literally), so yours are probably waiting at home. The back of the case looks slightly better than the front, but still would not win any design prizes. Packaging of the 3 DVDs inside is rather on the crappy side -- they are stacked together, each inside of a paper sleeve.

I've only played the beginning of episode 1 on the first disc. Definitely needs some remastering, but it's a lot better than watching the dubbed/spliced together Fighting Dragon movie. For those who have the Japanese release, please let us know how the picture quality compares to this one.

All in all, I guess we can't complain as it's just wonderful to finally have the entire series subbed. Even better that we got it for such a great price.

Can you provide a few screen-caps or anyone else who has it?

Sucks about the quality of the DVD case...BUT I can easily use cover art that I have for the unsubbed versions!! (Thanks KF Bob!!).

Oh yeah and sadly.....mine didn't come today either. :sad:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

But wait! Like a lightning fast kick from Kurata-san himself- unexpected, and from seemingly out of nowhere- the set DID come today- just not from the regular mail!!! :bigsmile: I just opened it- reports to follow...:nerd:

I'll be shooing my wife off to bed as early as possible. Maybe she's even tired right now? :xd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Okay, sorry about the wait. My wife had to practically be dragged away from QVC on the good TV! Ugh. :squigglemouth: I didn't want to watch FIGHT! DRAGON on the bullshit TV in the basement, so I was impatiently waiting. :smile:

Anyway, here's the deal...

Packaging: As mentioned by Kunoichi the packaging is kind of lame. It's a clamshell case, nearly double the thickness of a standard DVD case. But inside is a walled off little section that holds the three DVDs which come in black paper sleeves- they aren't even proper disc envelopes, as they lack the flap to stop them from sliding out. Very strange. This "design" is reminiscent of the packaging for some of the Hong Kong TV series that I've bought from overseas. As for the cover art- there are photos of Kurata-san on the back cover that should have been used as the front cover's main photo instead of the generic photo of some random martial artist, and the overblown billing and photo of Bolo. Yes, he's in it, but it's not throughout the series or anything. Bruce Leung has a much more prominent role, and I might as well mention- is totally awesome in this.

Picture: The original Japanese DVD release was spread out onto 6 discs, while this one is presented on 3 single-sided discs. The first disc contains 8 episodes, and the other two have 9 episodes each. They're half hour episodes (approx 23-26 mins. each without the commercials) so that's acceptable, but obviously not the optimum condition for quality. Compared to the Japanese version, the US version looks a bit darker- though nothing too significant- and the image is cropped a bit on both the left and right. The framing at the top and bottom seems to be exactly the same. As this is a TV series from around 35 years ago, there are the expected blemishes, scratches, and grain, but no serious, blatant damage, and nothing to interfere with viewing enjoyment. In fact, in this regard, the US version is a bit nicer, lacking some damage that I noted ocassionally in the Japanese versions' episodes. I did do some comparitive screen captures, but they're too big. Tomorrow I'll reduce and post them for everyone to form their own opinions.

Sound: This appears to be the original, unaltered audio. But I'm not very good at judging this type of thing.

Subtitles: The subtitles are in an easy-to-read font, and seem to match the dialogue pretty well (as far as I can tell with my limited grasp of the Japanese language). I was happy to see that the theme songs- there are two seperate ones- have both been fully subtitled, as are notes and signage. At the end of the first episode barely any of the credits were subbed, and one of them (incorrectly :xd:) read "Bruce Lee"!!! However, at the end of both the second and third episodes the majority of the credits have been translated and subbed (and no more phony listings!).

Overview: Each episode ends with a "coming next time" episode preview, and begins with a bit of "bringing you up to speed" footage and narration on the story thus far.

There's just the tiniest smidge of comedy (thankfully), with very straight forward stories, somewhat colorful villains (lots of familiar faces here), and a very healthy helping of action. Kurata-san is in top form here- super fast, and looking powerful as all get out. Same for Bruce Leung- appearing to be just as dangerous as ever.

I'm absolutely fine with the minor drop in picture quality in return for finally watching the series with subtitles. And you really can't beat the great price! As Haz had relayed his troubled past with discs from this company, I heeded his warning and checked all 3 discs right away. I'm pleased to report that they all played fine, but would recommend that anyone that picks this up do the same before tossing their sales receipt- just to be on the safe side.

So, basically, I'm a happy camper! :nerd: Thanks Millcreek! :wink:

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks KF BOB! Can always count on you for a good review! (though I won't hold you to that. You have so much cred, you could fuck up a review, and you'd still tops in my mind!)

I will be getting this DVD set as soon as I can!!

Thanks for the review Bob.....as usual we all know we can count on you and your views!! I'm totally geeked to get this, Fight! Dragon in it's subbed glory!!

I'm not totally shocked about the picture quality. I mean seeing as how I never thought this would see the light of day after BCI was closed....hopefully Millcreek will continue to improve and maybe with more sales they will invest more into their DVD releases.:angel: Hey it pays to be positive!!

I ordered 3 copies to give away as gifts. Hopefully, Mill Creek will do alright with this & we'll see more shows.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Almost there Bob. Not quite, but a damn good effort all the same! :xd:

:tongue: How did you get them to show up when I can't? LOL :xd: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? :ooh:

that's quite a difference in quality between the first and second shot - is the better one the US release?? If so, ordering today!

Many thanks for the great review Bob, it really gives us something to look forward to as I haven't had time to watch it yet. :bigsmile:

...and the overblown billing and photo of Bolo.

I really don't understand the Bolo overkill. Another case in point is that they put Bolo on the front of all 3 discs. Shouldn't Kurata-san be on the front of his own DVDs? As you stated, Bruce Liang's role is more prominent in the series. They could have used a small picture of him on the cover of the case.

I think I'll change the packaging for the DVDs, I don't trust leaving them in the flimsy paper sleeves.

Thanks for posting the caps wigsplitta. You can see quite a difference in the picture quality but it's not enough to make a colossal difference, especially since we've now got subtitles. Still, the Japanese raws with the new subs would make for a great combo.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
that's quite a difference in quality between the first and second shot - is the better one the US release?? If so, ordering today!

Nope, the first shot is the US release, the second is the Japanese one. You can see what I meant about the sides being cropped in that shot.

The third shot is from the Japanese version, and the fourth from the US, and you can see the image quality here doesn't look as dramatically different.

After I adjusted the brightness on my TV a tiny bit the US version looked much better.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Many thanks for the great review Bob, it really gives us something to look forward to as I haven't had time to watch it yet. :bigsmile:.

I'm glad my two cents was helpful to you guys and gals. :bigsmile:

I really don't understand the Bolo overkill. Another case in point is that they put Bolo on the front of all 3 discs. Shouldn't Kurata-san be on the front of his own DVDs? As you stated, Bruce Liang's role is more prominent in the series. They could have used a small picture of him on the cover of the case..

Yeah, no kidding! As soon as I can I'll post a link to my custom FIGHT! DRAGON cover for anyone that's interested. I'm not saying it's any great skakes, but at least Kurata-san is on the cover. LOL I made it up using screen captures and the "paint program" on my computer, so it's pretty basic.

I think I'll change the packaging for the DVDs, I don't trust leaving them in the flimsy paper sleeves..

I'm considering that myself. But I may just replace the envelopes and keep them in that case. I'm the only one that will be handling this set, and I'm very careful.

Thanks for posting the caps wigsplitta. You can see quite a difference in the picture quality but it's not enough to make a colossal difference, especially since we've now got subtitles. Still, the Japanese raws with the new subs would make for a great combo.

Yeah, thanks Wigsplitta! After three failed attempts by me, he somehow was able to make the images available for everyone. :xd:Me and computers... :crossedlips:. Once he, or someone gives me a refresher on posting images I'll put the cover on here for you guys. :wink:

Nope, the first shot is the US release, the second is the Japanese one. You can see what I meant about the sides being cropped in that shot.

The third shot is from the Japanese version, and the fourth from the US, and you can see the image quality here doesn't look as dramatically different.

After I adjusted the brightness on my TV a tiny bit the US version looked much better.

For the price I guess I can't complain - the Japanese set was insanely priced.

Yeah, thanks Wigsplitta! After three failed attempts by me, he somehow was able to make the images available for everyone. :xd:Me and computers... :crossedlips:. Once he, or someone gives me a refresher on posting images I'll put the cover on here for you guys. :wink:

No worries! Always a pleasure to help out.

I find that the Chiba-San method is the best way to get things to work, especially when it comes to computers....

1. - Put desktop/laptop PC in middle of room

2. - Pull slightly contorted face and make some seriously guttural chokes and snorts.

3. - Tense muscles up to the point where they feel like they're gonna snap.

4. - Jump up really high (watch head on ceiling) and on the downward travel, punch through the PC with enough crazy force so that everyone can see it in X-Ray!!!!!

5. - Contentedly wipe the remnants of circuit board from your hand (preferably on someone else's clothes)

6. - Sniff fingers if neccessary!!!

:xd::tongue:

Hey KF Bob thanks for the screen caps and Wigsplitta thanks for helping our PC challenged friend share those screen caps with us!! :tongue: Sorry Bob I couldn't help myself.

I'm not at all upset at the picture quality for what I paid for it with free shipping....can't beat it.

NOW just hoping it will get here sooner or later. Preferably SOONER!!!!!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Here's the USA screencapture...

USAreleasepic1.jpg

Here's the Japanese screencapture...

Japanesereleasepic1.jpg

Thanks Tosh!!!!

Archived