Mad Monkey memories

Denny Crane

Just signed up on here-looks a fine forum, too. Regards to you one and all. Anyone know some sources for old school kung fu films? Primarily, Mad Monkey Kung Fu, which is me all time favourite and i've had on VHS for years. Can't find the video now, though. The plan is to port me few wonderful films over to dvd (or, ideally, bluray on me PS3). I did try a video to dvd translation on me Toshiba device, but Macrovision copyright seemed to scupper that. Any advice would be welcome, guys. 5 Venoms would be lovely on dvd or bluray also. :smile:

Cheers, folks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

Welcome Denny. I recommend The IVL version of Mad Monkey Kung Fu. They also have the IVL The Five Venoms(although the Dragon Dynasty version is the best,though IMO). I don't know if you have a region free DVD player, 'cause the IVL's are region 3,Dragon Dynasty Region 1, both NSTC.

DDD.House.com

It´s sold out at least from dddhouse.

I have IVL version too and while it´s not best LKL film it`s still very well worth owning:angel:

I recently bought the Zoke version of Mad Monkey Kung Fu on HKflix..

They maybe still have it..

Not in stock but maybe can get it...

I stopped year ago or so selling out my IVL`s I do not appreciate.

Because it`s always possible in future regrets selling certain movie and hard to get it back:nerd:

"I recently bought the Zoke version of Mad Monkey Kung Fu on HKflix."

Why patronize them? They still openly sell Panmedia.

Sorry, i dont understand? Is panmedia bootlegs or something? I have never been interested in these panmedia discs since they have only english dubs and i hate dubs..

excuse me for my ignorance...

• Administrator
Sorry, i dont understand? Is panmedia bootlegs or something? I have never been interested in these panmedia discs since they have only english dubs and i hate dubs..

excuse me for my ignorance...

No, your no ignorant brother. You didn't know Panmedia are bootlegs. No harm done. I don't buy them, but I do use HKFLIX.com to get some movies too.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :wink:

Well, thank you KUNG FU BOB. :bigsmile: Im glad i found this forum.

Anyway HKflix aint my first choise since i notised theire shipping time to europe sometimes are ridiculous, last order arrived after 49 days!, their prices is not also the best. But they do have many items in stock thats hard to find elsewhere, so im guessing i will send a order once in a while.

Regarding the Panmedia, I dont own a single disc from that company, and i wont buy them in the future, i dont like bootlegs and like i said before i dont like enlish dubs.

Since the IVL version of Mad Monkey Kung Fu seems to be out of print i did recommend the ZOKE version.

Thanks for all these replies, folks. I can't believe how helpful you all are-rock on, i say.

Will certainly investigate further. On a sidenote, i picked up i picked up Human Lanterns from Play.com for 3 or 4 quid. Its a Celestial release and i was most impressed with the quality. Awesome film.:bigsmile:

• Administrator
Well, thank you KUNG FU BOB. :bigsmile: Im glad i found this forum.

We're glad to have you! I've learned a lot here, and made some amazing friends too.

Anyway HKflix aint my first choise since i notised theire shipping time to europe sometimes are ridiculous, last order arrived after 49 days!, their prices is not also the best. But they do have many items in stock thats hard to find elsewhere, so im guessing i will send a order once in a while.

Wow! That's some wait. They've always taken good care of me. Of course shipping from Hawaii to Pa. is a lot different than shipping from Hawaii to Sweden.

Regarding the Panmedia, I dont own a single disc from that company, and i wont buy them in the future, i dont like bootlegs and like i said before i dont like enlish dubs.

Since the IVL version of Mad Monkey Kung Fu seems to be out of print i did recommend the ZOKE version.

It's good that you don't support them. I'm mainly a "subbed" guy myself, but I do enjoy some of the dubs like Shaw Brothers classics, and the STREETFIGHTER films.

Thanks for all these replies, folks. I can't believe how helpful you all are-rock on, i say.

Will certainly investigate further. On a sidenote, i picked up i picked up Human Lanterns from Play.com for 3 or 4 quid. Its a Celestial release and i was most impressed with the quality. Awesome film.:bigsmile:

People here are tremendously helpful!

Regarding HUMAN LANTERNS- please post your thoughts on it on one of the several HL threads. It's always fun to hear another fan's thoughts on a favorite title.

Welcome to the boards Denny Crane and Skepparkrans always nice to have some fresh blood and fellow kung fu fanatics on the boards!!

I will respond to the thread title and say Mad Monkey Kung Fu is totally awesome. I have watched it so many times since getting it. As long as you get a copy of the Celestial print you will be a happy fu fan!!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a copy off Ebay. It's coming from Hong Kong and as long as it arrives i'll be a happy man. Very happy indeed.

Love me some Mad Monkey Kung Fu, this was Pop's movie to let him and Hsiao Ho shine, the comedy goes a bit overboard, but I actually find it pretty amusing, Lo Leih put's on one of his better performances, he a great sleazebag villain in this, you really want to see him get his due by the end.

Did Lo Lieh play anything but villains? I'm trying to recall if i've ever seen such a thing. There he is crippling people's hands in Mad Monkey Kung Fu, then five minutes later i see him skinning young hotties in Human Lanterns.

BlackLamaFaction

Hi Denny , That's a pretty neat typing accent you have there. If you like Mad Monkey you should check out Stroke of Death Aka Monkey Fist Floating Snake it's also from Shaw and I think it was made the same year. It has great fighting scenes also incorporating Monkey Fist style.

Thanks for the suggestion, BLF. Will look out for that one, to be sure. Although when i'll get time to watch it is beyond me. I've got so many films to watch since joining this forum, but its all good. Alas, so much kung fu yet so little time.

• Administrator
Hi Denny , That's a pretty neat typing accent you have there. If you like Mad Monkey you should check out Stroke of Death Aka Monkey Fist Floating Snake it's also from Shaw and I think it was made the same year. It has great fighting scenes also incorporating Monkey Fist style.

I agree 100%. It was released by IVL under the title MONKEY KUNG FU- an awesome movie! :nerd:

I agree 100%. It was released by IVL under the title MONKEY KUNG FU- an awesome movie! :nerd:

Looks great! Added to my wishlist :wink:

LRcD_aPnZJY&

Archived