Animeigo announces next batch of releases!!!!

gonzotheking

I wish AnimEigo would release some yakuza films. That'd shock people. Ever since Home Vision merged with Image. They've stopped giving us yakuza. I dunno why, but something just draws me to the genre.

I'm with you on that, I have no idea why more 70's yakuza films aren't being released. It's still an untapped market for the most part.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai
Sleepy Eyes Of Death vol.2 5 - 8 June 2010, ya!!! Oh man this is so sick! I cannot wait to pick up this release.

I hope they do them as DVD9s. I mean, they charge enough for each one, they might as well make them dual layered.

KFS

Guest WuxiaFan
Sleepy Eyes Of Death vol.2 5 - 8 June 2010

That's awesome news. I hope they keep it going and complete the series with 9 - 14. :smile:

daisho2004

I have a feeling they won't do the rest of the series 9-14. But I hope they do because the entire series is great!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Well. It's June. Where is Sleepy Eyes Of Death vol. 2 ??? Amazon isn't showing any signs of life.

venom10463
Well. It's June. Where is Sleepy Eyes Of Death vol. 2 ??? Amazon isn't showing any signs of life.

It's been push back until winter 2010.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

YAAA!!! More good news. Oh well. It's off to work and the everyday hum drum.

gonzotheking
That sucks! Why was it pushed back? :cry:

I emailed them and they wouldn't tell me. I hope it's because they got some new special features material or better audio/video sources or something.

Anyways, they softened the blow a little by announcing:

Samurai Vendetta is releasing in August

and

Shinsengumi Chronicles is releasing in September

Can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve next.

It's a decent movie. Builds a little slow, but still then, it's great seeing Katsu and Raizo on screen together.

That's fine, I don't mind slow. From the production values, to the cinematography, to the music, acting and action---I just love everything about chanbarra movies from this era. Just watched a trailer for Shinsengumi Chronicles, too, and that looks nice as well.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Cool, Samurai Vendetta sounds AWESOME:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Vendetta

I just watched this release last weekend. It's a little overly polite and a bit cutesy early in the story, but the ending starts too pick up. It's definitely worth owning.

Now, what I'm really anticipating is the Sleepy Eyes Of Death vol. 2 release this winter. Sooner than later please.

Figured I might as well re-use this old thread since I started it under similar circumstances...anyways....

Animeigo finally announced something!!!!!!!!!

I had been getting worried...but not anymore!!!!

Sword of Desperation for Christmas!!!!!

And promises of the final Sleepy Eyes of Death Box (films 9-12) TBD 2012!!!!

I get really excited because they are pretty much the only DVD company putting out samurai movies and I loooooooves me some samurai movies.

Anyways, just thought I'd let everyone know.

Finally some news. I check their site once or twice a week hopping for new releases! I just wish they really got with the times and had a facebook page where they announced stuff and communicated with their audience.

Oh, and had a website that looked like it wasn't from 1997.

Hot diggity damn! more news!!

Complete Shogun Assassin on blu-ray which I'm pretty meh on...I prefer the originals.

but also....

Eiichi Kudo's Samurai Revolution Trilogy, consisting of 13 Assassins (1963, aka The Thirteen Assassins -- recently remade by Takashi Miike), The Great Killing (1964, aka The Great Duel) and Eleven Samurai (1967).

Woohoo

2012 is gonna be awesome...except for the whole end of the world thing, but otherwise...awesome.

Hot diggity damn! more news!!

Complete Shogun Assassin on blu-ray which I'm pretty meh on...I prefer the originals.

but also....

Eiichi Kudo's Samurai Revolution Trilogy, consisting of 13 Assassins (1963, aka The Thirteen Assassins -- recently remade by Takashi Miike), The Great Killing (1964, aka The Great Duel) and Eleven Samurai (1967).

Woohoo

2012 is gonna be awesome...except for the whole end of the world thing, but otherwise...awesome.

I am SERIOUSLY stoked about the release of Kudo's Samurai Revolution Trilogy! Finally Animeigo is getting some stuff done. I wonder when we'll be able to see these?

What must AnimEigo do to survive? Has it come to this? Not anime, not samurai films, not war films. Announced for March 2012 release is Growing Up With Hello Kitty DVD #1: Hello Kitty Eats Her Vegetables. "Hello Kitty and her twin sister Mimmy learn to share, eat their vegetables, sleeping by themselves, answer the phone, use proper table manners, and much more." DVD #2: Hello Kitty Learns to Share.

I took a look at Animeigo's Shinsengumi release recently. It was one of the worst discs I've seen in recent memory. This, The Battle of Okinawa, some moments in Sleepy Eyes of Death, and The Secret of the Urn have left me very disappointed in this company's output. I don't understand how some of these even make it to market, where's the quality control?

• Administrator
I took a look at Animeigo's Shinsengumi release recently. It was one of the worst discs I've seen in recent memory. This, The Battle of Okinawa, some moments in Sleepy Eyes of Death, and The Secret of the Urn have left me very disappointed in this company's output. I don't understand how some of these even make it to market, where's the quality control?

Oh no... what's wrong with the The Secret of the Urn DVD? :squigglemouth: I was looking forward to picking this disc up soon. Please give me the rundown on it's problems.

Apparently you haven't seen their release of Samurai Assassin! The transfer looked like they pointed a camera at an old tube TV and pushed record.

Oh no... what's wrong with the The Secret of the Urn DVD? :squigglemouth: I was looking forward to picking this disc up soon. Please give me the rundown on it's problems.

The opening credits reveal pixelated clouds in different shades of grey/greyish black; my guess is slipshod compression. Otherwise, things are decent but lackluster. Shinsengumi wasn't just a tragic story - Mifune is about the only thing that film really has going for it - but Urn is a flipping GOSHA film! It's absolutely worth a watch and worth owning, which further mystifies the mediocre release.

As a general policy I like to look into the quality of a release before I purchase, and discs like these are exactly why. I thought I could trust Animeigo after they demonstrated with Lone Wolf and Cub that they could do the no-brain thing to do and simply port the Japanese master for a region one price. But when they betray that trust by presenting a truly poor source, fudging the encoding, or amateurishly tinkering with materials my money ends up going to something that deserves it. What a waste.

@waywardsage: That disc has a reputation alright! I have yet to see Samurai "Assassin" (&*%$ marketing...), but when I do it'll probably be that lovely Japanese disc with an HD transfer!

Wow, calm down there.

The Secret Of The Urn DVD release is honestly as beautiful as you can get a film from 1965 to look. The picture quality is much better their Lone Wolf and Cub releases.

While I will agree that they have screwed up on a few releases (Samurai Assassin), I will admit that they have made amends with releases since then. These aren't blu-rays and I'm not sure what you're smoking, but the Sleepy Eyes of Death series leaves nothing to be desired. The quality is top notch as is The Secret of the Urn.

These are pristine in presentation and look great.

Archived