Animeigo announces next batch of releases!!!!

gonzotheking

How is Miike's Graveyard of Honor? I loved the original, what about The Wolves and Onimasa?

I've seen Miike's once. From what I remember of it is that he changed the names of characters so it doesn't really follow the actual story that Fukasaku's did. Which from the liner notes of Fukasaku's film. It was based on the life of a real yakuza. But Miike's is a fine companion piece to Fukasaku's original. I highly recommend it.

I think we can say Shit, as long as it done with respect! lol

And yeah CK has a lot of great and rare films on his site!

My friend order from him before, years ago. Bootlegs of the Juon series and he sent him a shitload of free movies with it including the Makai Tenshou remake, Doberman Cop, Hokuriku Proxy War, Battles Without Honor 2, Iga ninpoucho (which is a very horrible film BTW... on par with Duel to the Death), BR II: Requiem, and I forget the others. He handed me four of them, the majority of the Fukasaku ones. He didn't want 'em so I gladly watched the shit out of them. lol

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
How is Miike's Graveyard of Honor? I loved the original, what about The Wolves and Onimasa?

I love Miike's GRAVEYARD OF HONOR. As Juon 408 mentioned, it's not a direct remake, but instead an update of the real-life story of a crazy yakuza. Miike changed the time period to make it more relevant to today's audience. The lead guy- Goro-san- is amazing, as is the lead actress, both giving fantastic performances. There's some brutal stuff in it.

THE WOLVES was a cool flick too. I'd recommend it.

Haven't seen ONIMASA.

Skepparkrans

After reading alot of good things about Sleepy Eyes of Death im real happy to see that they are releasing Collection 2 soon.. Im still have to get Collection 1.. maybe when i got my next salary in my pocket. :tongue: Or i just have to go up to my boss and say "hey, i need to buy more samurai movies, give me a raise now".

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
After reading alot of good things about Sleepy Eyes of Death im real happy to see that they are releasing Collection 2 soon.. Im still have to get Collection 1.. maybe when i got my next salary in my pocket. :tongue: Or i just have to go up to my boss and say "hey, i need to buy more samurai movies, give me a raise now".

Right on!!! You may really like Sleepy Eyes Of Death. It's its own style. Like the double its. I personally love the series. Wakayama Tomisabura is in two of em'. He's really cool in Sword Of Seduction. I picked up the first set immediately upon its release. As I will with the second set. AnimEigo fixed their audio issues for the first release hopefully that spells the end of their audio issues. They really screwed up on some of their releases.

bamboo spear

Wow when did ninjadojo close down? I registered there years ago but stopped posting once I found this site, which seemed to have more posters and more threads.

bamboo spear: The NinjaDojo is still up & working, as far as I know. I was just on it and all the post and everything are still there.

Skepparkrans: The Sleepy Eyes of Death series is a must own in any collection! The action is very good, but don't go into it thinking its like Lone Wolf & Cub. But this is one of my favorite series.

gonzotheking

I'm gonna have to echo the glowing recommendation of the Sleepy Eyes of Death series. I had never heard of it until I got the first box and I have wanted more since I first watched them. I'm really glad Animeigo is continuing to release the series. They did a great job with the first set(apart from the awful commentary from Ric Meyers).

Skepparkrans

daisho2004 and vengeanceofhumanlanterns:

You guys are making me even more hyped to get this series :bigsmile:

I dont expect any new Lone Wolf & Cub, that series is one of a kind..

But i seriously need more samurai movies in my life.. have not watched so many but i can say that most i have seen is just great.. Like Zatoichi, both the old ones, Kitano version and new Ichi, and i absolutly adore Yamada Yoji´s samurai movies even if there is hardly no, or little fighting.

If you guys have any more samurai must see recommendation i would be happy for any suggestions.

Skepparkrans: WOW I can recommend a lot of movies for you.We have a sticky post at the top of this page for recommendations of older and present films we just need to add onto it, I'll start adding some movies for you.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
daisho2004 and vengeanceofhumanlanterns:

You guys are making me even more hyped to get this series :bigsmile:

I dont expect any new Lone Wolf & Cub, that series is one of a kind..

But i seriously need more samurai movies in my life.. have not watched so many but i can say that most i have seen is just great.. Like Zatoichi, both the old ones, Kitano version and new Ichi, and i absolutly adore Yamada Yoji´s samurai movies even if there is hardly no, or little fighting.

If you guys have any more samurai must see recommendation i would be happy for any suggestions.

Brother check out Classic Japanese films sticky at the top of this thrread.

Brother check out Classic Japanese films sticky at the top of this thrread.

vengeance: We haven't update that post in awhile, we need to post some more movies and reviews on there.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
vengeance: We haven't update that post in awhile, we need to post some more movies and reviews on there.

I totally agree. I just don't have the energy to review films in detail anymore. Though, it was started as a reference thread for anyone interested in posting their fave flicks in detail.

vengeance: I know its tiring to review of a lot of films but maybe just post some of our faves, and give a brief synopsis of them will help jump start it and help everyone out.

gonzotheking

The Musashi Miyamoto Five Film Set is available on the animeigo website. Woohoo!

http://www.animeigo.com/products/samurai/miyamoto-musashi

They have also announced that they have licensed:

Samurai Vendetta with Raizo Ichikawa and Katsu Shintaro

and

Shinsengumi Chronicles: I Want to Die a Samurai starring Tomisaburo Wakayama and Raizo Ichikawa.

Animeigo is really putting out some great stuff lately. Every time they make an announcement I am immensely pleased by it.

I have them all but Ive always found the Sleepy Eyes Of Death films to be just a little bit above average. I too find Raizo to be weak in the action dept, but understand the films are more than action. Probably wont upgrade to the Animeigo Boxset. Not gonna shell out a couple hundered dollars for films I dont care much for. But havent seen those newer Musashi films...might pick up that boxset

kungfusamurai

I just looked at the specs for some of their samurai DVDs. They've been putting out DVD-5?! I never really checked them because I assumed they would have gone for the highest quality DVD and bitrate, considering the prices they were charging. Even that first Sleepy Eyes of Death set was DVD-5, and that came out a year or two ago. That's not cool.

KFS

gonzotheking
I just looked at the specs for some of their samurai DVDs. They've been putting out DVD-5?! I never really checked them because I assumed they would have gone for the highest quality DVD and bitrate, considering the prices they were charging. Even that first Sleepy Eyes of Death set was DVD-5, and that came out a year or two ago. That's not cool.

KFS

That's weird. I never noticed that before. It looks like the new Mushashi Miyamoto set is DVD-9 and looking through my collection it seems that some of them are DVD-9 and some are DVD-5. Judging by my observation of my own discs, and this is purely speculation on my part, it may have something to do with the length of film. The shorter films seem to be on DVD-5 and the longer films are on DVD-9.

kungfusamurai
That's weird. I never noticed that before. It looks like the new Mushashi Miyamoto set is DVD-9 and looking through my collection it seems that some of them are DVD-9 and some are DVD-5. Judging by my observation of my own discs, and this is purely speculation on my part, it may have something to do with the length of film. The shorter films seem to be on DVD-5 and the longer films are on DVD-9.

That makes sense. I didn't check the Lone Wolf & Cub specs (are they listed on the back?), but when watching Sword of Vengeance on a 42 inch screen, it looked okay. I imagine it's only a DVD-5 since it's less than 1 1/2hrs. I don't know if they had boosted the bitrate for a DVD-9 if the image would have improved much considering the age of the film.

Are the english dubbed versions of the LW&C films in DVD-5 too?

KFS

gonzotheking
That makes sense. I didn't check the Lone Wolf & Cub specs (are they listed on the back?), but when watching Sword of Vengeance on a 42 inch screen, it looked okay. I imagine it's only a DVD-5 since it's less than 1 1/2hrs. I don't know if they had boosted the bitrate for a DVD-9 if the image would have improved much considering the age of the film.

Are the english dubbed versions of the LW&C films in DVD-5 too?

KFS

The original LW&C discs seem to be DVD-5 (it's written on the back at the very bottom underneath the DVD logo) I don't know about the shogun assassin discs as I don't have them.:xd:

I wonder if/when they will put out the rest of the Shinobi no Mono movies.

kungfusamurai
The original LW&C discs seem to be DVD-5 (it's written on the back at the very bottom underneath the DVD logo) I don't know about the shogun assassin discs as I don't have them.:xd:

I wonder if/when they will put out the rest of the Shinobi no Mono movies.

I don't know about that. I guess they're re-thinking things if the movies are selling better as sets than singles like the Nemuri Kyoshiro sets.

KFS

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Sleepy Eyes Of Death vol.2 5 - 8 June 2010, ya!!! Oh man this is so sick! I cannot wait to pick up this release.

Archived