Animeigo announces next batch of releases!!!!

gonzotheking

http://www.animeigo.com

April 2010

Tomu Uchida's 5-part Mushashi Miyamoto series with Kinnosuke Nakamura

May 2010

The Blind Menace (Shiranui Kengyo) - starring Shintaro Katsu

June 2010

Sleepy Eyes of Death Volume 2 - Movies 5 thru 8 - starring Raizo Ichikawa

I know a lot of you already have these but I like owning legit dvd's and I am very excited about these releases.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Uchida Musashis were made in the late 60s-early 70s. I saw one of them when Video Action released it on VHS in the 80s. Interesting and more intense than the Mifune trilogy. Was hoping Animeigo would release these...great news.

I think the Uchida Musashis were made in the late 60s-early 70s. I saw one of them when Video Action released it on VHS in the 80s. Interesting and more intense than the Mifune trilogy. Was hoping Animeigo would release these...great news.

Thanks for the info, db. Yep, I'll be looking for these!

Guest WuxiaFan

This is just incredible news! I'm a big fan of AnimEigo and I think they do a great job! Can't wait for the next SLEEPY EYES OF DEATH series as well as BLIND MENACE!

:yociexp75:

kungfusamurai

I'll definitely get the sets, but I'm going to pass on Blind Menace. From what I've read, it's not a chambara. No sword play at all. I wonder if Animeigo knew that before they got the rights to it?

KFS

Guest WuxiaFan
I'll definitely get the sets, but I'm going to pass on Blind Menace. From what I've read, it's not a chambara. No sword play at all. I wonder if Animeigo knew that before they got the rights to it?

Not everything AnimEigo releases is samurai. I suspect the reason they picked it up was because it stars Shintaro Katsu in non-samurai role. I'm curious to see it just because of that. :nerd:

kungfusamurai
Not everything AnimEigo releases is samurai. I suspect the reason they picked it up was because it stars Shintaro Katsu in non-samurai role. I'm curious to see it just because of that. :nerd:

I just checked out their website, I didn't realize they had branched out into non-action Japanese flicks from that era. I thought they were trying to sell this as an early attempt of a zatoichi flick (i.e. swordfighting action and all).

KFS

I have the Miyamoto Musashi 5 set starring Nakamura Kinnosuke.

It goes into areas of Musashi's life that many movies don't go. The only other Musashi series I liked better was Sorekara no Musashi which started after the big fight with Sasaki Kojiro.

I've never been a big fan of Raizo's portrayal of Nemuri Kyoshiro. I liked Matsukata's and Tamura's better. There isn't much in the way of real swordsmanship in the series. Raizo was much better in Daisatsujin Orochi and other films.

If I can find some of these at a decent price I'll probably pick them up. Still have to check out the first box set for Sleepy Eyes of Death which I bought quite a few months ago.

I've never been a big fan of Raizo's portrayal of Nemuri Kyoshiro. I liked Matsukata's and Tamura's better.

klepto: I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this 110% Raizo portrayal of Nemuri Kyoshiro was the ultimate that roles was made for him. Now Matsukata's did a great job as him as well. But a lot of people might not have ever seen those (2) movies which is #13 & 14 in the series. I wish Matsukata would've continued a few more movies in that series. Because he was really the only one who could fill that part after Raizo's death.

Now Tamura's movies were the TV episode which he did, but he really lacked and charisma in that series.

kungfusamurai

I agree with Raizo's swordplay. It's not the strongest when compared to his contemporaries. It's rate him below Mifune and Nakadai. But the character is pretty cool. Occasionally, there is a good fight scene with Raizo, so that's a bonus. I figure, getting a whole bunch of films in one shot for a fairly decent price ain't too bad.

KFS

Not to jump off topic but if you want to see Raizo's best Swordsmanship and possibly the best 15minutes of non-stop action see "The Betrayal" Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com has it, and its a remastered version. This movie is a classic and a must own in anyone's Library collection. I would love to see this get a legit release.

THE BETRAYAL (Daisatsujin Orochi)

This tale of betrayal and revenge features one of the greatest swordfights in motion picture history. It rivals SWORD OF DOOM in its intensity and duration. ICHIKAWA Raizo’s fighting in this film is far and away the best of his career. Betrayed by the elders of his clan, and blamed for a murder he did not commit, his unrelenting fury against those who falsely accused him comes to one of the most exciting conclusions ever filmed!

recent4.jpg

I've watched the five Uchida Musashi films that Animeigo will be releasing and while I don't think any of them are masterpieces they are (IMHO) considerably better and more interesting than the fairly uninteresting Inagaki films.

I wish AnimEigo would release some yakuza films. That'd shock people. Ever since Home Vision merged with Image. They've stopped giving us yakuza. I dunno why, but something just draws me to the genre.

Guest WuxiaFan
I wish AnimEigo would release some yakuza films. That'd shock people. Ever since Home Vision merged with Image. They've stopped giving us yakuza. I dunno why, but something just draws me to the genre.

Well, AnimEigo does have some yakuza films. They're listed under "Other" on their website. Check out the link here:

http://www.animeigo.com/products/other

:15_002:

Well, AnimEigo does have some yakuza films. They're listed under "Other" on their website. Check out the link here:

http://www.animeigo.com/products/other

:15_002:

Crazy, I knew they put out Miike's remake of Graveyard of Honor, but I didn't know about the rest of those films. The Geisha and the Wolves sound good. I just may have to get those.

And to daisho, I've been on kurotokagi for a while now today and found tons of sh-- I wanna see on there.... Are we allowed to say sh-- or do I have to censor it?

I think I have the original Graveyard of Honor. I have to put out a list of my movies, I've ordered the same ones twice before already.

Guest WuxiaFan
And to daisho, I've been on kurotokagi for a while now today and found tons of sh-- I wanna see on there.... Are we allowed to say sh-- or do I have to censor it?

Also check out Stuff You Wanted - The Samurai DVD Store:

http://app.vendio.com/storefront?view=ABOUT_US&cid=22952129&sid=737134&mode=1

A lot of the same stuff as kurotokagi, but for a little cheaper. I recently ordered 5 DVDs from them and they shipped quickly and the prints look beautiful. :smile:

Archived