Human Lanterns..

paimeifist

I may be riding the hype having just watched it an hour ago.. But damn, this may be Lo Liehs best overall performance, so evil, and psychotic, but at the same time, despite being the bad guy, I wasnt rooting for him just because he was Lo Lieh.. Good acting, and also good fighting.

Pai Mei may have had better fighting, which is even arguable to me, and was also more "bad ass".. But the thing is, you couldnt feel for him, he was just cocky, and powerful, so he was great.. You can feel for Chun-Feng(Lo Lieh in Human Lanterns), even with being psychotic.

Kuan Tai Chen and Tony Liu were also decent in this film, but Lo Lieh steals the show.

The sets in the film were brilliant, and so were the costumes.. The skinning scene was alo well done..

What do others think of this film, and Lo Liehs performance in it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great recommendation- this is my first Shaw Brothers DVD actually. It just oozes class, to be sure. I'd definately be up for more Lo Lieh flix.

Well, since i love Lo Lieh i maybe have to check out this one then..

Does anyone by any chans know if the IVL version is cut or uncut? If i understand it right the UK and the US version is uncut..

It`s very well worth checking out.Very likely best film Lo Lieh appeared on...just do not expect all-out kung-fu fest here.

Characters and storyline are priority in this one.

• Administrator

Does anyone by any chans know if the IVL version is cut or uncut? If i understand it right the UK and the US version is uncut..

There are a few threads about this already, but I believe the US version is the best, most uncut version available. I have both the US one and the IVL/Celestial region 3 DVDs, and the US one is by far the better of the two.

So I recommend that you definitely see this. You will not be disappointed my friend. HUMAN LANTERNS is such a vastly entertaining movie. Horror, kung fu, sexy ladies, a great story, and an awesome cast, all come together to make this a classic. :bigsmile:

HUMAN LANTERNS is such a vastly entertaining movie. Horror, kung fu, sexy ladies, a great story, and an awesome cast, all come together to make this a classic. :bigsmile:

Now you got me exited! Found some threads about the different versions but honestly they didnt give me a straight answer. The UK disc is about half the price of the US disc.. but i have overall best experience with R1 Discs and hey, you only live ones right? :wink:

Time to stop writing and send that order....

• Administrator
Now you got me exited! Found some threads about the different versions but honestly they didnt give me a straight answer. The UK disc is about half the price of the US disc.. but i have overall best experience with R1 Discs and hey, you only live ones right? :wink:

Time to stop writing and send that order....

My friend bought the UK version, the only one I didn't have, and we compared notes. So he wound up getting the US one too.

After you see it, please share your thoughts about it with us.

DeathFuMaster
There are a few threads about this already, but I believe the US version is the best, most uncut version available.

The image release? Does it have a dub?

• Administrator
The image release? Does it have a dub?

Yes, I was referring to the Image version of HUMAN LANTERNS as the best version to get. It does not have an English dub. And neither do any of the other versions available as far as I know.

Wuxia and horror, this movie has to be one of the best genre meshes ever, even being jaded to the skinning scenes nowadays, Lo Lieh jumping around the forest in that suit has a genuine creepiness to it.

Lo Lieh jumping around the forest in that suit has a genuine creepiness to it.

Agreed but when lantern maker has mask I think most of the time it`s not Lo Lieh wearing it:tongue:

Wuxia and horror, this movie has to be one of the best genre meshes ever

I agree. I am a huge horror and wuxia fan, but surprisingly I don't like many films that combine the two. I think Human Lanterns does it pretty damn successfully.

The amazing cast doesn't hurt either!

My only problem with Human Lanterns is that I dont care about any of the characters. I wouldn't call the film a horror cause it certainly isn't scary. Caring about the fate of the victims is essential in a true horror. Lo Lieh's victims were unlikable anyway, its why all of you are saying you were rooting for him at the end, thats basically cause he is the only likable character in the entire movie. I didn't like Liu Yung's character at all, his look, fighting, acting just never stood out for me. I hardly like him in any film he's in. Most recently I watched Pursuit of Vengeance, he made that film worse.

Cough!... Cough! Spoilers, dude!

:neutral:

You think I said to much, I think anyone who views these boards likely already seen it

You think I said to much, I think anyone who views these boards likely already seen it

'Likely," of course, is far from being the same as "surely." But I fully expect spoilers to slip around such rabid fandom, so I don't mind, and I know when to stop reading when things get too revealing. The film's currently in my Netflix queue.

I just watched this movie last night, and i must say i loved it.. :wink:

It was my third Sun Chung movie (other two are "Avenging Eagle", "Kung Fu Instructor") and i have loved every one of them, I think once again Sun Chung proves to be a great storyteller with his own visual style..

I just have to look for more of his movies.. if the others are as good, i may just have found me a new Shaw favorite director.

seems it got deleted, it WAS Online. it was a cantonese Trailer, only a bit longer than a Minute.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I really liked Rendezvous with Death.

I thought Wang Yu was great.

How many Sun movies has Wang Yu been in?

Gd Y-Y

Archived