Anyone else own "The Encyclopedia of Martial Arts Movies"

Sandpalm79

I ordered this from "advantage video" in Ohio in 1994. whenever i was ordering all my shaws from them. Found this company in the back of a Black Bellt magazine in 1993, and they were the first source of shaws i had seen ever up to that point. I only saw them on television originally in 1985 or when i ran into a rare vista version to rent ( Super ninjas, two champions of shaolin, executioners of shaolin)

Anyways so in the catalog they had this book to buy. It has been my BIBLE. The encyclopedia of Martial arts Movies. i could attach a pic but dont see an option. it only goes up to 1994. but this book i loe so much. it is the perfect companion to Martial Arts movies: From bruce lee to the ninjas; Whereas this latter book, i have found at half price book stores, the encyclopedia of martial arts movies, i have never seen online, in a store or met anyone who owns it! anyone on here own this book? I know some people dont like ric meyers, but i have no issue with him. and although he is no bey logan, he is well informed and dont great things for the community in my opinion.

the enclopedia is quick, easy to use, and is thorough as all 3 authors( cant remember the other two) obviously watched thousands upon thousands of movies to complete this book. It rates our of four stars. gives such great info and insights . this book is so amazing! anyone out there have this? Its red and hardback( mine has no cover)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! I actually found it online.. holy moly is it expensive!

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Martial-Arts-Movies/dp/0810830272

i also found it with a slip cover i believe ( mine is just solid red/ no art) but the cover is quite poor in my opinion!

i def reccomend this book!!! it seriously is my best companion i could imagine to these movies.. EVERY movie i get from celestial or even walmart i look up in here and the reviews are spot on!

I bought the book when it was first released and it was $60 then. It has some a lot of reviews, but then there's even more that have nothing aside from a title and a cast list. I didn't and still don't think it's worth the money. Still, it's a decent tome for what information it does contain. With everything that has come out since then, it could be updated to be made a much more worthwhile purchase.

Almost bought this book when it came out but thought it too expensive, it has its good and bad points as stated above.

The Ebay link is the place to get it for USA....Encyclopedia of Martial Arts Movies

Amazon UK have it also at £37!!......The Encyclopedia of Martial Arts Movies

i agree, but for how minimal the books are on this topic. specifically written material on the Saw films. i think its a must own!

I own this. I have an original print copy which I picked up for $19.99 USED.

:yociexp102:

Great reference book, with a great deal of info on the genre, Shaws, Sonny Chiba, Bruce Lee, The Clones, etc. Pick it up!

Archived