Who do you guys think was the most underuse or underappreciated Shaw Star?

ching li

FightingFool
On 1/26/2010 at 2:42 AM, ching li said:

Chen Kuan Tai was one of Shaw's big players, so he was definitely not underuse

He was sort of underused on later years at Shaw.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, FightingFool said:

He was sort of underused on later years at Shaw.

Not really. He had prominent roles up untill the studio shut down feature film production. Killer Constable is one of his best and thats from 1980, same with The Master. After that, good parts in Rendezvous with Death, Ambitious Kung Fu Girl, Gang Master, Return of the Bastard Swordsman, Opium and the Kung Fu Master, I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad and more, or contmpo stuff like Invincible Enforcer, Challenge of the Gamesters, Notorious Eight and Winner Takes All. More villain roles than hero leads, but that's not being underused.

• Like 1

HeavenSword

I’ll say Dick Wei. I think his biggest parts were in The Kid With A Tattoo and Killer Constable, but he mostly always had short scenes . Smh at his character in Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung not having any dialogue.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

I’ll say Dick Wei. I think his biggest parts were in The Kid With A Tattoo and Killer Constable, but he mostly always had short scenes . Smh at his character in Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung not having any dialogue.

I'll concur with that. I also think Tony Tam should have had bigger opportunities to show off his excellent boot work

• Like 2

Yuen Tak -while not exactly a "star" he was not well used as an actor.

Wei Pai -for whatever reason his film career in total was very short.

Li Yi-Min -I know he did films for Joseph Kuo, but Shaw hardly used him.

YuenTak2_5eb29f5d46ce32183865362526cf48bd.jpg

wei pai.jpg

Li I Min.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
58 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Yuen Tak -while not exactly a "star" he was not well used as an actor.

Wei Pai -for whatever reason hi film career in total was very short.

Li Yi-Min -I know he did films for Joseph Kuo, but Shaw hardly used him.

YuenTak2_5eb29f5d46ce32183865362526cf48bd.jpg

wei pai.jpg

Li I Min.jpg

I agree with Li Yi Min, who correctly at least found his brief place in the sun outside of Shaws, but could def had been better utilized there. 

I think Yuen Tak got his fair shot at stardom with The Master and proved, while an exceptional screen fighter, not the strongest of leads.

Wei Pai I despise, so I'll refrain further comments on him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I agree with Li Yi Min, who correctly at least found his brief place in the sun outside of Shaws, but could def had been better utilized there. 

I think Yuen Tak got his fair shot at stardom with The Master and proved, while an exceptional screen fighter, not the strongest of leads.

Wei Pai I despise, so I'll refrain further comments on him.

From sources I read, Wei Pai was a bit difficult on the set and that he wanted to do drama work rather than action.  I don't have anything to really back up the statement, but it seems logical that he was not given many opportunities. 

Yuen Tak wound up choreographing films for a living.  While not a strong lead character, he could have been used a lot in support -much like how Wai Wang was utilized.  Then again, I don't know the history behind this and perhaps he was offered roles but turned them down. 

Li Yi Min I really like.  He had that slightly naive look that fit in well for the roles he played outside of Shaw.

yi-min-li_a458743.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 2

Cognoscente
3 hours ago, morpheus said:

From sources I read, Wei Pai was a bit difficult on the set and that he wanted to do drama work rather than action.  I don't have anything to really back up the statement, but it seems logical that he was not given many opportunities.

According to Craig Reed, he had Tourette's.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2021 at 3:57 AM, HeavenSword said:

Dick Wei was underused greatly, he was quite skilled to boot.  He also had decent screen time as "King" in The Champions with  Yuen Biao, Cheung Kwok-Keung and Moon Lee.

• Like 3