The Lost Bladesman (2011)

DiP

16 hours ago, JackieRome said:

just because I didn't like this, do you think it's not for me? you have a solid foundation for saying this compliments.

Then tell me, what did you find disappointing about the fight scenes in the movie and such movies in general? Your original post doesn't go into depth exactly so it's easy to misjudge. Please enlighten us.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JackieRome said:

I don't think it's useful to define all the subgenres to give solidity to my disappointment for this film

The request wasn't made so that I could judge whether your opinion of the film was valid or not.

Whenever someone makes sweeping generalizations about "X" genre, that's a matter of opinion. A person can say they don't like the fights in wuxia films, 90s wuxia films, 90s period pieces, 80s modern films, basher films, kung fu comedies (or Seasonal formula films), late 60s wuxia films, etc. and 98% of the people on the forum will understand what the person means, However, as "bladesman genre" is not a recognized genre name among enthusiasts, I requested a clarification so I could understand the expressed opinion better.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 7/22/2020 at 2:42 PM, massa_yoda said:

I want to see.

Not to create the wrong impression, I should have said "statuette" not "statue". It is 27 cm high but the Guan Dao is 36 cm long :D The details are beautifully crafted and you can remove the Dao.

These are pictures the seller sent me. Of course I removed the dust as soon as he had arrived. 

LordGuan_Belt.jpg

LordGuanDaoDetail.jpg

LordGuan_greenbackground.jpg

LordGuanDaozerlegt.jpg

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
27 cm = 10,6 inch, 37 cm = 14,2 inch
  • Like 4

On 7/24/2020 at 1:25 AM, DiP said:

Then tell me, what did you find disappointing about the fight scenes in the movie and such movies in general? Your original post doesn't go into depth exactly so it's easy to misjudge. Please enlighten us.

No need to delve into someone who makes jokes like "enlighten us" is just a waste of time. For a film like this, it's not even worth it.

why do you misjudge?? to express my boredom and my thoughts do I have to get my film critic's license to be taken seriously? among other things, as if he were talking to any user who does not appreciate Donnie's best works. I find Wuxia, Spl, Flshpoint of the great films that are in my personal ranking ... so there is not even prejudice. Peace.

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JackieRome said:

No need to delve into someone who makes jokes like "enlighten us" is just a waste of time. For a film like this, it's not even worth it.

why do you misjudge?? to express my boredom and my thoughts do I have to get my film critic's license to be taken seriously? among other things, as if he were talking to any user who does not appreciate Donnie's best works. I find Wuxia, Spl, Flshpoint of the great films that are in my personal ranking ... so there is not even prejudice. Peace.

Haha, whatever. Going into depth is a waste of time yet you bother giving your two cents that says little of the significance of why your opinions are what they are. How ironic.

If you expect people to respect your entitled opinions on particular movies then you should just elaborate your thoughts. Because being sparse saying "what a disappointment", "it bored me" and "I didn't find any such action good" will raise curiosity in readers and you will be called out. I mean, you're bringing quite the controversy in other threads because readers can't make your opinions out when you're not being clear enough. But hey... You don't wanna engage any further, be my guest and stop now. Keep your non-elaborativeness to yourself and don't start what you don't have energy to keep up for.

Edited by DiP

Iron_Leopard

The disrespect to "14 Blades" in this thread. I love that movie. Both these movies are visual treats, with great action, and great performances from Yen.

14 hours ago, DiP said:

Haha, whatever. Going into depth is a waste of time yet you bother giving your two cents that says little of the significance of why your opinions are what they are. How ironic.

If you expect people to respect your entitled opinions on particular movies then you should just elaborate your thoughts. Because being sparse saying "what a disappointment", "it bored me" and "I didn't find any such action good" will raise curiosity in readers and you will be called out. I mean, you're bringing quite the controversy in other threads because readers can't make your opinions out when you're not being clear enough. But hey... You don't wanna engage any further, be my guest and stop now. Keep your non-elaborativeness to yourself and don't start what you don't have energy to keep up for.

article a thought as much as I want based on the kindness with which there is the exchange of thoughts. I remind you that I am writing in a language that is not mine. If I see arrogance or too much excitement for films that I don't think much, I don't feel like articulating too much a thought that already seemed clear enough. discuss and argue with that air of superiority because the film bored me and I have not found decent fights, it does not force me to make a very long post. I discuss with some and with others I have pleasant conversations. I question myself, I do not exalt any bullshit that everyone likes just to feel comfortable with the crowd. If I find humble people, who realize they are talking about simple films and without masturbating each other like a small elite, I will continue to speak very willingly, otherwise I will write less and less, frankly I have other things to do. regards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackieRome said:

article a thought as much as I want based on the kindness with which there is the exchange of thoughts. I remind you that I am writing in a language that is not mine. If I see arrogance or too much excitement for films that I don't think much, I don't feel like articulating too much a thought that already seemed clear enough. discuss and argue with that air of superiority because the film bored me and I have not found decent fights, it does not force me to make a very long post. I discuss with some and with others I have pleasant conversations. I question myself, I do not exalt any bullshit that everyone likes just to feel comfortable with the crowd. If I find humble people, who realize they are talking about simple films and without masturbating each other like a small elite, I will continue to speak very willingly, otherwise I will write less and less, frankly I have other things to do. regards

Speaking of something you DISLIKE is one thing, and EXPLAINING WHY you dislike something is another. The only thing clear is that you dislike the the movie while the reason for your dislike still remains a mystery. I just asked you that latter as a question and you responded by saying that you didn't feel like going into a debate and took my post as a joke. Like I said, you can stop now and keep it to yourself. This was fun while it lasted.

• Like 1

@JackieRome Do you even read your own posts? You want people to be humble and you think many here sound like a “small elite”?

Look at the attitude you convey in your own posts: like it’s unfathomable that people can like a movie that you don’t like.....

You also attempt to label people as sensitive, all the while you seemingly get really upset about popular movies that you don’t like. I don’t know if that is really the case, but that’s the image that you convey in the way you write your posts.

These things could be lost in text, and maybe the language barrier has something to do with it.

Either way, you may wanna look in the mirror and take a second look at your own posts before you blabber on any more champ...

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JackieRome said:

I do not exalt any bullshit that everyone likes just to feel comfortable with the crowd.

Nobody has asked you to like anything.

If I find humble people, who realize they are talking about simple films and without masturbating each other like a small elite,

This is an offensive and ignorant statement. This presupposes that anyone who disagrees with you and asks you to explain your opinions is some sort of elite who dictates how people should think or feel. You speak as if the moment we read a post from someone that mentions a movie we love, we demand that words that follow be positive. That is nothing further from the truth.

All of us here have an unpopular opinion or two. Sometimes many. And for the most part, we all live harmoniously together in this forum with those unpopular opinions. For example, I recently recommended some of my favorite old school films to @Drunken Monk to assist him in quest for the unsung classics, and he didn't always take to them. Do I respect his opinion any less for it? Of course not. I disagree with @ShaOW!linDude on a lot of things, and he's one of my best friends at the forum.

If I see arrogance or too much excitement for films that I don't think much, I don't feel like articulating too much a thought that already seemed clear enough.

You obviously have the right to not articulate or carry on a discussion about your opinions, but it doesn't help your position. If you state one unpopular opinion after another--which has been the case--you can become a Respected Iconoclast at this forum if you're willing to expand on your thoughts and discuss them with us. Obviously, a discussion about how we all think (Film A) is a classic may get repetitive very quickly, so the arrival of someone who thinks differently may liven up the discussion. But that person must be willing to go along with the debate. Otherwise, they come across as a mere contrarian, even if that isn't the case.

If a person joins a Movie Lovers forum and states that they don't like The Godfather, that may raise a few eyebrows. If the same person in the next post says, "I don't like The Godfather Part 2," then people will be surprised, but may attribute it to the fact that the person doesn't like mafia-themed films. If in their third post, that same person says, "I despise Chinatown," the other members will get curious. If by the fourth post, the person is disregarding the entire John Ford filmography, everyone else is going to want to understand why. If that person, when questioned about one point or another, simply says, "That's how I feel and that's that," nobody will take that person seriously. They may even dismiss him as a troll. If they do explain themselves, the others may not agree, but they will respect that person.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

The disrespect to "14 Blades" in this thread. I love that movie. Both these movies are visual treats, with great action, and great performances from Yen.

I'm a 14 Blades fan myself. I probably enjoy it more than Wu Xia and The Lost Bladesman.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Nobody has asked you to like anything.

This is an offensive and ignorant statement. This presupposes that anyone who disagrees with you and asks you to explain your opinions is some sort of elite who dictates how people should think or feel. You speak as if the moment we read a post from someone that mentions a movie we love, we demand that words that follow be positive. That is nothing further from the truth.

All of us here have an unpopular opinion or two. Sometimes many. And for the most part, we all live harmoniously together in this forum with those unpopular opinions. For example, I recently recommended some of my favorite old school films to @Drunken Monk to assist him in quest for the unsung classics, and he didn't always take to them. Do I respect his opinion any less for it? Of course not. I disagree with @ShaOW!linDude on a lot of things, and he's one of my best friends at the forum.

You obviously have the right to not articulate or carry on a discussion about your opinions, but it doesn't help your position. If you state one unpopular opinion after another--which has been the case--you can become a Respected Iconoclast at this forum if you're willing to expand on your thoughts and discuss them with us. Obviously, a discussion about how we all think (Film A) is a classic may get repetitive very quickly, so the arrival of someone who thinks differently may liven up the discussion. But that person must be willing to go along with the debate. Otherwise, they come across as a mere contrarian, even if that isn't the case.

If a person joins a Movie Lovers forum and states that they don't like The Godfather, that may raise a few eyebrows. If the same person in the next post says, "I don't like The Godfather Part 2," then people will be surprised, but may attribute it to the fact that the person doesn't like mafia-themed films. If in their third post, that same person says, "I despise Chinatown," the other members will get curious. If by the fourth post, the person is disregarding the entire John Ford filmography, everyone else is going to want to understand why. If that person, when questioned about one point or another, simply says, "That's how I feel and that's that," nobody will take that person seriously. They may even dismiss him as a troll. If they do explain themselves, the others may not agree, but they will respect that person.

Unfortunately or fortunately as I am considered on a forum to talk about a film about Donnie Yen I am not very interested. If you want to discuss by resizing the speech without making heavy and boring speeches (as much as the film) on why I have not convinced this film or do the superiors with children's nonsense like: "enlighten us", or that other guy who writes: " Lol ".. as a 5 year old boy; if there are preconditions then you can deepen a speech (always if really interested. I don't think anyone would want to talk about a film that bored him if there are the things I said before. Then add the language that is not mine, the possibility of being misunderstood, too much fanaticism about how certain opinions are taken, and also tell us that The lost Bladesman is not among the 100 films in the history of cinema and you will have a clearer picture. I reclaim without problems. You make: The good the bad and the ugly, you have joined forces I don't know for what purpose but, as I said before, you don't need to work too hard to make someone want to write on the forum. We resize the tones and the scope of the speech if you want, and in case we talk about it again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

Unfortunately or fortunately as I am considered on a forum to talk about a film about Donnie Yen I am not very interested. If you want to discuss by resizing the speech without making heavy and boring speeches (as much as the film) on why I have not convinced this film or do the superiors with children's nonsense like: "enlighten us", or that other guy who writes: " Lol ".. as a 5 year old boy; if there are preconditions then you can deepen a speech (always if really interested. I don't think anyone would want to talk about a film that bored him if there are the things I said before. Then add the language that is not mine, the possibility of being misunderstood, too much fanaticism about how certain opinions are taken, and also tell us that The lost Bladesman is not among the 100 films in the history of cinema and you will have a clearer picture. I reclaim without problems. You make: The good the bad and the ugly, you have joined forces I don't know for what purpose but, as I said before, you don't need to work too hard to make someone want to write on the forum. We resize the tones and the scope of the speech if you want, and in case we talk about it again.

Lol.

Sometimes, that’s really all you can say.

• Haha 1

Drunken Monk

I think what people are trying to say (including myself) is that this is a board for discussion. If we all jumped into threads and posted nothing but “I like this movie” or “I don’t like this movie,” this place would be awfully stale.

Everyone has an opinion and, more times than not, I like to hear people’s opinions. If someone does not like Shaolin vs Lama I like to read why. Not because I want to judge them but because it fuels further discussion. Being a random naysayer on here won’t get you points with anyone. You just drag a thread down.

No one is here to “hate.” We’re hear to discuss and, granted, on occasion, debate. But being the one “I hate this movie!” guy makes you look somewhat of a petulant child.

We’re not expecting you to be a film critic but it’s logical to expect a little more than broad statements. A little explanation goes a long way on here.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think what people are trying to say (including myself) is that this is a board for discussion. If we all jumped into threads and posted nothing but “I like this movie” or “I don’t like this movie,” this place would be awfully stale.

Everyone has an opinion and, more times than not, I like to hear people’s opinions. If someone does not like Shaolin vs Lama I like to read why. Not because I want to judge them but because it fuels further discussion. Being a random naysayer on here won’t get you points with anyone. You just drag a thread down.

No one is here to “hate.” We’re hear to discuss and, granted, on occasion, debate. But being the one “I hate this movie!” guy makes you look somewhat of a petulant child.

We’re not expecting you to be a film critic but it’s logical to expect a little more than broad statements. A little explanation goes a long way on here.

I perfectly agreed on the first part of the speech. then when you forgot to read the messages where I was urged to explain why I was bored watching this damn movie, but doing it provocatively ... then you should understand that it is not worth (for anyone) to explain something of their thoughts if you ask it in a provocative way and, above all, if you remain strongly attached to your own judgment which cannot be questioned. I have almost always motivated my positive or negative judgments about a film. You are judging too severely my first comment on the film that could have given rise to a good examination if there had been less arrogance in certain users. Those users you rightly defend because the faction game is always part of a forum, so I don't blame you. Then, if I consider certain enthusiasms for films that seem like copy pastes of others with sloppy and uncared for elements added, what should I do? the term "exaggerated" has never offended anyone. Susceptibility is not something I can foresee.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

Those users you rightly defend because the faction game is always part of a forum, so I don't blame you.

I suppose this is unnecessary, but let me document the following: THERE IS NO FACTION GAME AT THIS FORUM.

I've only recently become friends with @Drunken Monk, which stemmed from my admiration for his recent foray into the Brucesploitation.

@DiP is a fellow user, and just that.

@paimeifist has been my friend for years, but he also spent several years away from the forum, so it's not like there's an elite group of users that look down on the newbies.

May I further document that this whole discussion in this thread started because:

1. @DiP requested for your to enlighten us on your views, which was neither sarcastic nor snarky. It was a polite invitation to let us know more about your thoughts.

2. I asked you to clarify the term "Bladesman genre", not because I felt it would validate your opinion or not, but because I was unfamiliar with what exactly  you were referring to.

We were not being elitist buttholes, but people who want to understand.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

@JackieRome and I had a discussion via PM in an attempt to help clarify things here.

I’ll say it seems there’s a lot of misunderstanding going on due to the format of a text forum and not everyone being a native English speaker. He may have some unpopular opinions, but I think the abrasive way he seems to express them isn’t intentional.

He also expressed that he’d like to drink beer together and watch both The Lost Bladesman and Dance of the Drunk Mantis.

I commend him for that, because I would not sit through a Chor Yuen wuxia to hang out with anyone.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, paimeifist said:

@JackieRome and I had a discussion via PM in an attempt to help clarify things here.

I’ll say it seems there’s a lot of misunderstanding going on due to the format of a text forum and not everyone being a native English speaker. He may have some unpopular opinions, but I think the abrasive way he seems to express them isn’t intentional.

He also expressed that he’d like to drink beer together and watch both The Lost Bladesman and Dance of the Drunk Mantis.

I commend him for that, because I would not sit through a Chor Yuen wuxia to hang out with anyone.

here, we can sheathe the guns. without further controversy: if I write an unpopular judgment I cannot blame it. The discussions and opinions are born from this. if a film bored me and I make it clear immediately (almost every time I write that I didn't like a film) that I would not want anyone to be offended, but then someone takes it badly, then I propose again that invitation to make a rule where opinions can be written negatives only in one section. The term "enlighten us" I think is provocative in every language, so it is obvious that the other instead of enlightening you sends you to that country (which I elegantly did not do). however, if (as I said before) we resize the discussion and play on equal terms 1 on 1, then we can talk about this damned movie as much as you want .. (damned ... I'm kidding eh)

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 7/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Lol... I have exactly the same figure in the living room.

How cool is that LOL! I always wondered if I'd ever see a "mold twin" somewhere! 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

The term "enlighten us" I think is provocative in every language, so it is obvious

Hold on... "Enlightening people ABOUT something/someone" is provocative in what way? Do you even know the definition behind the expression? @paimeifist beat me to it but I simply asked you the reason for why you dislike the action in the movie, and in a curious manner. So it seems like you've come to a point of misunderstanding.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Hold on... "Enlightening people ABOUT something/someone" is provocative in what way? Do you even know the definition behind the expression? @paimeifist beat me to it but I simply asked you the reason for why you dislike the action in the movie, and in a curious manner. So it seems like you've come to a point of misunderstanding.

let's say there was a mutual misunderstanding and let's close it here. we risk becoming tedious ;)

• Like 2