The Lost Bladesman (2011)

DiP

Interesting how this movie has divided people. My take on it is it's the best Donnie Yen movie I've seen in years. His acting was much improved and the fights were good.

Not knowing the legend/history very well, I didn't quite get some parts of the story, but I liked the mood of the film.

AndyWayne84

I just bought it from Amazon yesterday and i enjoyed the flim. The fight between Donnie and Andy On has to be my most favorite fight in the flim.

Well I finally saw this and it was a mixed bad for me. Usually I am able to follow these historical epics without too much difficulty, but I couldn't really follow what was going on with this one. Basically there were a lot of things happening, but I didn't understand WHY they were happening. They didn't explain what they were doing at all. I understand that it's not realistic to deliver a bunch of expositional dialogue, but I needed something. Maybe it was the subtitles that were off. Also, no subtitles for the end narration.

The action was pretty awesome though. Even that "dark" fight scene in the building was sweet. It did feel intentionally darker than the rest of the scene, which made me think about how Kill Bill Vol. 1 went black and white for its big violent action sequence. This scene had some of Donnie's most violent kills (inc. one big knife through the neck), so I wonder if it was because of how bloody this scene was meant/implied to be. Also, I loved the slow mo shot of Donnie running at the two guys in the water toward the end of the scene. I think someone should make a de-motivational poster of that shot with "TOAST" written underneath.

OpiumKungFuCracker

How did this movie get passed me?? And why is the U.K bluray cut??? Anyone with info know if the HK edition is fully uncut??? I still can't believe I haven't seen this bad ass flick yet, FUCK!!!!!

How did this movie get passed me?? And why is the U.K bluray cut??? Anyone with info know if the HK edition is fully uncut??? I still can't believe I haven't seen this bad ass flick yet, FUCK!!!!!

UK BD has a scene cut in beginning with Donnie riding and leaping away from a running horse while it falls to the ground with the head first. It's CGI though and not a live horse. The HK BD is totally uncut so that's the BD edition to get.

phoenix_darshan

I agree with most people, the fights were decent, but its certainly not one of the movies I would highly recommend when the conversationis about MA epics. Guan Yu is a legend and i believe it was a great honor for Donnie yen to play an immortal, Guan Yu is worshipped in many temples and you eve find little statues in restaurants. So to put it in a nutshell the filmmakers, irectors and producers have failed to do him justice. I actually identified a lot more with him in Red cliff. In Lost bladesman he came across as an amazing swordsman, but also a very gullible and a mere pawn in the hands of the powerful.

Secret Executioner

I'm considering picking it up, as I've found the DVD for rather cheap. Looks like a good bargain, as it seems people have very mixed feelings on this one. :smile:

What a disappointment ... I had heard of it well. It bored me a lot and I didn't find any such good fighting, not even the final one.

• Like 1

I need to watch it again, but I don't recall the action ever getting better than the Donnie/Andy On fight midway through.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
3 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I need to watch it again, but I don't recall the action ever getting better than the Donnie/Andy On fight midway through.

I think that's probably the best fight but, in my opinion, it's one of Donnie's better looking movies. I think it's very underrated.

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

With this movie, one has to keep in mind that Guan Yu is a historical figure who became a deity in all three main Chinese religions, and is revered in many Asian countries to this day. The main reasons for his popularity are his loyalty, courage and righteousness. Together with his sworn brothers, he is the epitome of Friendship ("Oath in the Peach Garden"). Of course, he was a great warrior too but he was never meant to be a god of war, as many Western texts describe him. Thus the focus of the movie was probably not intended to be on action which is contrary to most peoples' expectations watching this movie because Donnie Yen is starring. 

I thought the action in the movie great but was more impressed by Donnie Yen's general portrayal of Guan Yu. 

On 6/20/2012 at 1:04 PM, phoenix_darshan said:

In Lost bladesman he came across as an amazing swordsman, but also a very gullible and a mere pawn in the hands of the powerful.

Actually, in the literary source "Romance of Three Kingdoms" he is described as being gullible in some situations, and yes he is a pawn in the hands of Cao Cao for some time, that's the episode shown in the movie. He is not described as being perfect which makes him more human, and is surely another reason why people adore him. 

I have a nice bronze statue of him which is guarding my front door :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I have a nice bronze statue of him which is guarding my front door :)

I want to see.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 3:08 PM, JackieRome said:

What a disappointment ... I had heard of it well. It bored me a lot and I didn't find any such good fighting, not even the final one.

These types of movies usually have overdrawn and boring weapons fighting but Donnie changed all that with his movie and made the fighting captivating. Try finding recent Chinese ancient war movies with a similar style of fight choreography... It's won't be easy cause there's none.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think that's probably the best fight but, in my opinion, it's one of Donnie's better looking movies. I think it's very underrated.

Truly underrated! It's much better than 14 Blades (more action-packed minus the oomph and intensity).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DiP said:

Truly underrated! It's much better than 14 Blades (more action-packed minus the oomph and intensity).

Agree with this! I remember going into watching it, thinking that it'd probably just be 'okay' (especially as a Romance of the Three Kingdoms-related story), but it was a lot better than I expected. I did prefer it to 14 Blades.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 3:48 PM, DiP said:

Following my personal taste, both of these films let me down. Years ago I would have told you that 14 Blades was good, but on seeing it I realized that it was not much.

Indeed there are not many films on the Bladesman genre with good fights. That's not to say I had to like Bladesman.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

Bladesman genre

Please define.

- Historical battle films?
- Wuxia films?
- Films set during the 3 Kingdoms era?
- Films where the action is predominately performed with the kwan do?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JackieRome said:

Indeed there are not many films on the Bladesman genre with good fights. That's not to say I had to like Bladesman.

Then this sub-genre just ain't for you, nuff said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiP said:

Then this sub-genre just ain't for you, nuff said.

just because I didn't like this, do you think it's not for me? you have a solid foundation for saying this compliments.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Please define.

- Historical battle films?
- Wuxia films?
- Films set during the 3 Kingdoms era?
- Films where the action is predominately performed with the kwan do?

I meant historical in costume, modern, and with armor. nothing else. I don't think it's useful to define all the subgenres to give solidity to my disappointment for this film. ;)

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 1