The Lost Bladesman (2011)

DiP

Donnie Yen Promotes "The Lost Bladesman" in Beijing

Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen and the entire cast of "The Lost Bladesman" held a press conference on Wednesday in Beijing to promote the film, M1905.com reports.

In the film Yen plays Guan Yunchang, a legendary general of the Shu Kingdom in the novel "The Romance of Three Kingdoms," one of the Four Classical Chinese Novels.

Director Mak Siu-Fai and Felix Chong with cast members, including lead actress Sun Li, attended the press conference. Sun plays the wife of Guan Yunchang's sworn brother, Liu Bei. Sun and Guan have unhappy love affairs in the film.

Compared with the Guan Yunchang characters in other films, Yen's version features some fabulous kung fu fighting scenes.

Many films and TV series have been based on the stories in "The Romance of Three Kingdoms." The most recent ones include "Red Cliff II" (2009) by John Woo and the TV series "Three Kingdoms" (2010 version).

No further details about the film were disclosed at the press conference.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/07/01/2482s580357.htm

Guest ekisha
Another "epic" big army film. Bored of these types of film now, they always seem to disappoint. Donnie Yen's last few movies have done nothing for me.

I am having the same thoughts. This genre is going to to be turned to trash.

Donnie Yen Feeling Pressured to be The Lost Bladesman

-- The Lost Bladesman --

2010_06_05_01_Lost_Bladesman_Poster_sn.jpg

After three months of filming, The Lost Bladesman, directed by Alan Mak and Felix Chong and starring Donnie Yen, Sun Li, Jiang Wen, Alex Fong Chung Sun, Andy On, Chin Siu Ho, Wang Xue Bing, Shao Bing etc, has wrapped up on June 30, 2010.

Donnie Yen was rather hesitant about taking up this film. "At first, I was having doubts when the producer approached me. I wasn't very familiar with The Three Kingdoms. While I have done many period films, I wasn't confident of portraying such a major historical character fearing that I might tarnish everyone's hero. So I laid down one condition: If they could hire directors Alan Mak and Felix Chong, I would accept this role. For I have faith in their ability in handling this period historical film. The audience are getting more fastidious so you have to invent something new."

On his height not being tall enough to match the description of the nine-foot Guan Yu, Donnie Yen who wore shoes with 2-inch insoles to look taller, replies: "I'm actually very tall, I stand 'tall' in character, aspiration, martial arts, honor..."

Sun Li, who plays Liu Bei's (Alex Fong) concubine and who develops feelings for Guan Yu along the way, reveals: "My character is fictitious. She is very unique and very loyal. Initially, I misunderstand Guan Yu, hate him, and even despise him. Guan Yu has to overcome the hurdles and battle six generals for my sake. My story is a little similar to Infernal Affairs and my ending is so unpredictable that even Guan Yun Chang wouldn't have imagined it, and up until now, neither have I figured it out."

The directors say that The Lost Bladesman is nothing but a film, and not a historical biopic, so it's bound to be different. "Everyone has their own image of Guan Yu in their heart. We're just trying to show the audience the Guan Yu in our hearts. This film will show not just the divine ability of Guan Yu but also his humanity. Flipping through historical texts, Guan Yu was the strongest person in the universe during Three Kingdoms era. Now, Donnie Yen is the universe's strongest so this role belongs to none other but him, no one else would qualify. We filmed a younger Guan Yu where his beard hasn't grown to full length so it's different from other works."

Being in charge of the action as well, Donnie Yen says: "The fights were designed according to the background of the historical character. Guan Yu was living in the warring period so I couldn't use my favorite modern MMA, but rather, I used body language as a guideline. In order to break out from Cao Cao's camp, Guan Yu has to fight all the way through and the process is full of twists. But being able to wield the Crescent Moon Blade doesn't equate being able to act as Guan Yu. The action is not an issue to me, rather, the question is how to grasp and portray the audience's image of Guan Yu."

Donnie Yen will next be teaming up with Takeshi Kaneshiro for a wuxia film by director Peter Chan, that is inspired by One-Armed Swordsman, in August. He will play a ruthless killer who has committed all sorts of dastardly deeds, and being wanted by the authority, he leads a fugitive life. Yet, he and the constable who is pursing him soon grow to admire and respect each other, in turn influencing Donnie Yen to turn over a new leaf.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/835-Donnie-Yen-Feeling-Pressured-to-be-The-Lost-Bladesman.html

From what Andy On himself have said about his role and the involvement of the talented duo Alan Mak/Felix Chong, this surely looks tasteful. Let's see and hope for the better.

Andy On Stands in the Way of The Lost Bladesman

-- The Lost Bladesman --

As Guan Yun Chang tries to break away from the service of Cao Cao, six generals are ordered to stop him. One of them is Kong Xiu, played by Andy On, "Kong Xiu is a very simple person, he would obey whatever decree from the emperor, and so, he has to stop Guan Yu at Dongling Pass. All the six generals have their own incapacities, but only this will the ordinary citizens' sadness be shown."

In this scene, Guan Yu's Crescent Moon Blade meets Kong Xiu's spear on the square, followed by a horse chase into the forest, before proceeding to the final battle at the long, narrow alleyway. Both Donnie Yen and Andy On are on horseback and their weapons are restricted by the narrowness of the alley, increasing the level of difficulty in choreography. After finishing this Dongling Pass scene, in which the set and props were painstakingly built, such as the alley and the trees with autumn leaves, director Alan Mak couldn't contain his excitement, "This scene will definitely make it to one of the top classic fight scenes in the history of movie-making."

Donnie Yen was rather happy with Andy On's performance while Andy On says that it was very thrilling battle and they had great rapport, "To be able to work with brother Donnie Yen is like winning the top lottery prize, Donnie Yen gave me a plethora of inspirations. Donnie Yen was the martial arts director, and his choreography for this scene was especially authentic, I've always admired him very greatly, I was very lucky to collaborate with him."

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/873-Andy-On-Stands-in-the-Way-of-The-Lost-Bladesman.html

I'm really hoping this film appeases true martial arts action films and isn't just a period film with a few fights here and there. I would love to see Donnie Yen really focus on weapon choreography for a film.

According to some synopsis for the movie, Guan Yu will face six generals (including Andy On and Chin Siu-Ho) under the command of CaoCao so we'll likely to get that amount of fight scenes or perhaps even more.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Donnie Yen needs to go to the Buddhist temples in Thailand to wake up Tony Jaa and tell his ass to get back to work...

We don't want to see Donnie Yen drain himself out, we need balance in the martial arts genre...

Jiang Wen Plays Cao Cao in New Film

Actor Jiang Wen has shed the bandit look in his self-directed film "Let the Bullets Fly" to pass as the historical figure Cao Cao in the new film, "The Lost Bladesman" ("Guan Yunchang").

Jiang plays the politician and military strategist who lived between the 2nd and 3rd century around China's Three Kingdoms period.

"Our producers all considered Jiang as the ideal actor for the role, and screenwriters wrote the scripts with him in their minds," co-director Alan Mak was quoted as saying in a press release.

"But we were not sure Jiang would be able to come on board as he was preoccupied by 'Let the Bullets Fly' when we approached him."

Jiang agreed to play Cao Cao after several rounds of talks. "When Jiang did appear on the set, I told myself it was not a dream," added Felix Chong, the other co-director.

However, Cao Cao is not the film's protagonist. "The Lost Bladesman" is about Guan Yu, also known as Guan Yunchang, a loyal general serving under Liu Bei, who led the Kingdom of Shu. Cao Cao, Liu Bei's major rival, appreciated Guan's talent and tried to persuade him to join his entourage.

The film tells how Guan, after being captured by Cao Cao, comes all the way to return to Liu Bei.

Donnie Yen takes the role of Guan Yu. Alex Fong Chung-Sun plays Liu Bei. Other stars in the film include Sun Li and Wang Xuebing.

"The Lost Bladesman" is slated for release within the year.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2011/01/13/1261s615160.htm

Sun Li in 'The Lost Bladesman'

Actress Sun Li says her character in the upcoming martial-arts film "The Lost Bladesman" ("Guan Yunchang") is like glue between the male leads in the film.

"The Lost Bladesman" is about general Guan Yu, also known as Yunchang, who tries to escape the wide ranging power of warlord Cao Cao to return to Liu Bei.

Historical documents show that around the 3rd century Guan Yu, Cao Cao and Liu Bei did exist. But Sun Li's role, named Qi Lan, is fictitious, according to Sina.com.cn.

"Qi Lan has an inexplicable relationship with Guan Yu," Sun Li told Sina.com.cn about her role. "She is like glue between Guan Yu, Cao Cao and Liu Bei."

Sun Li also praised her co-star, Donnie Yen, who plays Guan Yu. "Everybody talks about him as the king of kung fu. But I think he is as good in non-action scenes." The two worked together in the 2008 fantasy film "Painted Skin" ("Hua Pi").

"The Lost Bladesman" features Jiang Wen as Cao Cao, and Alex Fong Chung-Sun as Liu Bei.

It is slated for release within the year.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2011/01/19/1261s616312.htm