The Lost Bladesman (2011)

DiP

The Clashes of Guan Yu Onscreen

Presently, as many as 4 films on Guan Yu are being planned this year:

First is Felix Chong and Alan Mak's 《关云长》 Guan Yun Chang, slated for production in Beijing in March. The story focuses mainly on the period when Guan Yu was held captive by Cao Cao, showing his inner conflicts, and will see Guan Yu traveling a thousand li on his trusty steed, passing 5 obstacles, beheading six generals. Donnie Yen would play the eponymous historical figure, while Zhang Han Yu warlord Cao Cao.

Donnie Yen says, "I don't know why so many filmmakers want me to play folk heroes or historical figures. I have heard that many are shooting Guan Yu films, and Louis Koo would be joining one, very fascinating... To me, this is a very challenging role, I'd be acting and action directing, so the pressure is quite big. My schedule is already fully packed this year, but I'm still getting new scripts, more than I could handle."

Some offers that Donnie Yen is getting include 《李圣医传奇》 Legend of Saintly Physician Li, a film on a great Ming dynasty healer Li Shi Zhen, and Peter Chan's JungKu: The Man From 18th Hell.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/769-The-Clashes-of-Guan-Yu-Onscreen.html

Excellent! I've always been interested in Three Kingdoms era history. I just hope Donnie doesn't overwork himself. It's going to be interesting to see him with a massively long beard.

Donnie should make a basher

he already did in that ghetto movie high voltage there was some bashing going on in this movie, not to bothered about this one, can see more armys, horses and arrows not for me.

yeah, I hear ya, but I mean a proper Basher like little superman or fist of the double K

no one could recreate chen sing and kurata or liang fighting in pure hatred for 20 mins then to pull out weapons near the end.

no one could recreate chen sing and kurata or liang fighting in pure hatred for 20 mins then to pull out weapons near the end.

... Or, James Nam, kicking over from damned near heart attack after that extra-long battle with Liang Siu Lung! (Kung Fu Superman) aka (Bruce: D-Day At Macao).

this

cj7V82rIi28

Awesome.

:xd:

Just read some news. Production has now started and Donnie, beside gaining weight for the role of the title character, has read books for preparation. In addition to acting, he will also be responsible for the action. Other castmembers include Jiang Wen (who has replaced Zhang Hanyu as Cao Cao) and Chin Siu-Ho.

http://www.donnieyen.us/dymb/index.php?topic=1620.msg15538#msg15538

Donnie Yen Leads 'Guan Yunchang'

Led by Hong Kong action film star Donnie Yen, the film "Guan Yunchang" has started shooting in Hebei Province, M1905.com reports.

Yen plays general Guan Yu, also known as Yunchang, the famous character from the historical novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

Award-winning mainland director-actor Jiang Wen plays the role of Cao Cao - the leader of Guan's enemy kingdom. Actress Sun Li will also play an important role in the film, according to the report.

Yen said honestly that he's not quite familiar with the character of Guan Yunchang and he's reading the novel, even taking it into the bathroom with him.

"I have to do a lot of homework to prepare for the rivalry with Jiang Wen. He has a very heroic personality," Yen said.

The appearance of Donnie Yen's version of Guan Yunchang is quite different from the traditional understanding, the report says. The well-dressed general now wears shabby clothing in the film. Even his style of beard is different. The film depicts a young Guan Yunchang.

Donnie Yen is also the martial-arts director of the film.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/04/29/2482s566368.htm

Bladesman cuts to Easternlight

Hong Kong based Easternlight Films has picked up international rights to Alan Mak and Felix Chong’s The Lost Bladesman.

Arclight Films’ Hong Kong-based affiliate Easternlight Films International has picked up international rights to Chinese epic The Lost Bladesman, starring Donnie Yen and directed by Alan Mak and Felix Chong.

Yen will play one of ancient China’s most famous warriors, Guan Yunchang, as well as overseeing action sequences. The film is set during China’s “Warring States” period.

Beijing-based Star Union Skykee Film Investment Co is the lead financier on the project, which will also star Sun Li (Fearless, Painted Skin). Delivery is scheduled for autumn 2011.

Yen is currently China’s hottest action star following roles in films such as Ip Man and its sequel, Bodyguards And Assassins and Daniel Lee’s 14 Blades. Easternlight also handled international sales on 14 Blades, which grossed $21m at the Chinese box office and will be released by The Weinstein Company in North America.

Mak and Chong co-wrote the Infernal Affairs trilogy of films, which Mak also co-directed with Andrew Lau. The duo also co-wrote The Lost Bladesman.

“Following the remarkable global success of 14 Blades, Easternlight is once again thrilled to team up with the incredible Donnie Yen. He is truly one of greatest action stars ever and his global appeal continues to drive films such as these to an ever-expanding worldwide audience,” said Easternlight managing director Ying Ye.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/asia-pacific/bladesman-cuts-to-easternlight/5013673.article

The Lost Bladesman (Epic Action Adventure / Production)

the_lost_bladesman.jpg

Synopsis: During the warring period of the three kingdoms, ancient China is in turmoil. To unify the country general CAO CAO, the real power behind the emperor, enlists the aid of the greatest warrior in the land GUAN YUN CHANG (Donnie Yen). However, Guan Yun Chang is a loyal friend of CAO CAO's enemy LIU BEI. To persuade the peerless warrior to fight, Cao Cao takes his beloved QI LAN (Sun Li) hostage.

After leading Cao Cao's forces to victory Guan Yun Chang sets out with Qi Lan to rejoin Liu Bei. But now Cao Cao has deemed him too great a threat to live, and on the journey he must face all the forces at the emperor's command sent to destroy him.

Cast: Donnie Yen (HERO, BLADE 2, IP MAN 1 and 2), Sun Li (FEARLESS, PAINTED SKIN)

Directors: Alan Mak Siu-Fai, Felix Chong Man-Keung (directing team behind INFERNAL AFFAIRS - upon which Oscar winning film, THE DEPARTED was based, INITIAL D)

Writers: Alan Mak Siu-Fai, Felix Chong Man-Keung (writing team behind INFERNAL AFFAIRS - upon which Oscar winning film, THE DEPARTED was based, INITIAL D)

Action Director: Donnie Yen (STORMBREAKER, BLADE 2, FLASH POINT)

Producer: Liang Ting

http://www.arclightfilms.com/labels/easternlight/new_films/the-lost-bladesman.php#awards

lillippa328

loooks sweet!!

im hype!!

I hope after this tho, donnie gets back on with more hand to hand/kung fu weaponry movies...not that im bashing his sword films and big battle peices, but i want somthing with more traditional kung fu! Plus, with the huge name action star that he is now, it be good for the genre

I'm down with anything Donnie stars in and action directs, period or contemporary. Even though he's been starring in all these period movies, we never got to see him action direct any of them or anything traditional in general since the mid 90s. Legend of the Fist looks freestyled while this will showcase traditional weapons. Looking forward to see the results.

On set photo..."The Onimal" Andy On and Donnie, celebrating Andy's birthday on May 11. On got 2 b-day cakes from the crew as he turned 33.

andy+on+bday+donnie+yen.jpgandy+on+bday+on+set.jpg

Another "epic" big army film. Bored of these types of film now, they always seem to disappoint. Donnie Yen's last few movies have done nothing for me.

Guest Tiffany

this may be great I think. If he will be chosen well I guess he is really deserving. BTW, nice pictures that you have there. Thanks for sharing.