14 AMAZONS coming 3/23/10!

Guest WuxiaFan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the fighting exercise between Ivy Ling Po & Lily Ho is restored in full. The IVL is missing some frames showing Ivy twirling Lily round & round & round.

Just curious - How do people rate 14 Amazons? I remember thinking it was cool. I don't think it will hold much appeal to people who aren't die-hard fans already, though.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Haz, I've just tried to watch this film for a third time last weekend. With the cast you'd think it couldn't miss. It's over dramatized and way to self glorifying and does not deliver in the action department, sorry. In short boring. I will keep my IVL copy and probably pick up the R1 release regardless, though. Not trying to disrespect anyone on the thread, just keep trying to check this flick out, and keep taking it out to put another in. I'm disappointed too.

I keep postponing this reply as I don't want to say the wrong thing. I have sat thru the IVL once but cannot sit through it again. Having said that, I must confess I have favorite scenes that I can watch again and again. Most of these scenes involve Ivy Ling Po. I think she was terrific as Mu Kwei Ying.

I have not watched 14 amazons before, but it has one of my favorite actress in there, "Ivy Ling Po" and from reading the description, it sounds interesting enough. so I already pre-ordered from deepdiscount.com !!! I hope it is the unedited version.

I wonder if Wal-Mart will carry both 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock this coming Tuesday. Wal-Mart does carry quite a few of their animation selection and I recall seeing the Death Note movies at Wal-Mart too.

A pity that this will be missing footage because of Celestial's trims. I hate buying titles knowing that existing footage is missing.

They mean in terms of the historical story. This film is about the female Yang clan's adventures after the men were decimated in the events told in EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER.

Oh, I had no idea! I'm ashamed to say I've never seen this, but I'll have to now!

Thanks Bob!

MetalMike666

I picked this DVD up at Best Buy when it was released ... I'd never seen it but I really enjoyed it (nothing like a Shaw Bros. movie with lots of great females). I do have one problem with the video though. I've never considered myself sensitive to a lot of the video problems I read about (ghosting, DNR, EE, etc.) ... perhaps because I've got a 50" display viewed from 9 feet away. But I noticed throughout this movie many scenes where the focus would pulsate every few seconds ... in focus, out of focus, in focus, out of focus. It only occurred during camera pans/zooms (of which there were many) and I don't know the technical name for this problem, but it really bothered me.

I've picked up 34 Shaw brother DVD's over the past few years (all Celestial remasters) and though the video/audio quality varies, I've never had any issues that bothered me like this. Did I just get a bad copy or is this a known problem with this release. It's my first Shaw Bros. DVD from Funimation, so it's got me nervous about buying any of their other releases. :confused:

Oh, and I'm using an Oppo BDP-83 so I don't think it's related to my player.

I've picked up 34 Shaw brother DVD's over the past few years (all Celestial remasters) and though the video/audio quality varies, I've never had any issues that bothered me like this. Did I just get a bad copy or is this a known problem with this release. It's my first Shaw Bros. DVD from Funimation, so it's got me nervous about buying any of their other releases. :confused:

It's most likely it was poorly compressed - not optimised for scenes where careful compression is needed for heavy movement.

Poorly converted transfer and made-up subtitles are the reason I've not purchased it.

Guest WuxiaFan
Oh, and I'm using an Oppo BDP-83 so I don't think it's related to my player.

You have an awesome DVD player. Agree with chen lung, it's definitely the disc. Funimation does do an excellent job with anime, however. :squigglemouth:

masterofoneinchpunch
Re. The 14 Amazons:

Is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade from the IVL (5.1 remix) to the Funimation (mono)?

I don't know how the IVL release is but This one and Shaolin Hand Lock (Rear naked choke) from Funimation have a horrible PAL-to-NTSC conversion that makes the Image R1 releases look good.

masterofoneinchpunch
The IVL releases are all PAL conversions with ghosting.

Well then I can think of no other reasons :smile:

Killer Meteor
The IVL releases are all PAL conversions with ghosting.

Legend's is more like images where it's PAL-nTSc at ntsc speed, so even worse!

Are the subtitles subtitles and not dubtitles?

That's the only other potential issue I can think of.

Are you aware of the Polish Blu-ray? It's still the same Celestial "work", but I understand that it's honest to goodness HD and has a mono track. No English subs, but IIRC custom discs have been made available on certain venues. :wink:

Guest Markgway
Are you aware of the Polish Blu-ray? It's still the same Celestial "work", but I understand that it's honest to goodness HD and has a mono track. No English subs, but IIRC custom discs have been made available on certain venues. :wink:

Yes, I've read about it.

I don't have a BD drive, so a downloaded custom job would be a non-starter for me, and I'm not gonna pay for a bootleg.

I've ordered the Funimation DVD anyways, so until something better (with subs) comes along it'll have to do.

Yes, I've read about it.

I don't have a BD drive, so a downloaded custom job would be a non-starter for me, and I'm not gonna pay for a bootleg.

I've ordered the Funimation DVD anyways, so until something better (with subs) comes along it'll have to do.

At least with us buying what is available, it won't be forgotten about by the time they figure out how to do it right.

Archived