14 AMAZONS coming 3/23/10!

Guest WuxiaFan

Guest WuxiaFan

The prequel to the SB masterpiece EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER, the equally superb 14 AMAZONS will be released by Funimation Entertainment on 3/23/10. This version will have the English dub, but it doesn't look any special features. Is that too much to ask? :yociexp57:

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/14-Amazons-Shaw-Brothers/dp/B0030ZOYW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264087971&sr=1-1

HKFlix:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.552287/qx/details.htm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
The follow-up to the SB masterpiece EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER, the equally superb 14 AMAZONS will be released by Funimation Entertainment on 3/23/10. This version will have the English dub, but it doesn't look any special features. Is that too much to ask? :yociexp57:

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/14-Amazons-Shaw-Brothers/dp/B0030ZOYW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264087971&sr=1-1

HKFlix:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.552287/qx/details.htm

By followup, does it mean 14 Amazons is based on the same story, because it predates 8 Diagram Pole Fighter by 12 years!

Looking forward to this!

By followup, does it mean 14 Amazons is based on the same story, because it predates 8 Diagram Pole Fighter by 12 years!

Looking forward to this!

I was kinda befuddled by that "follow-up" comment. Strange.

• Administrator
I was kinda befuddled by that "follow-up" comment. Strange.

They mean in terms of the historical story. This film is about the female Yang clan's adventures after the men were decimated in the events told in EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER.

Never mind the English dub... let's hope this is the full uncut version.

The IVL version has a running time listed at 117 minutes, and the Funmation one (as listed on Amazon) lists a 118 running time. So let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

• Administrator
The running time of 118 mins is the same as the IVL.:sad:

Whoops! You typed faster than me Winfred.:xd:

Wuxiafan told me that the running time on the IVL- as listed by HKFLIX- was 117. No?

And there is an uncut print of this on 35mm. Its one of only a handful of prints that Celestial remastered & kept in their possession. I'm sure the print gets moved around the film festival circuit alot. Catch it in the theater when it passes through your towns. I hope the run time is a mistake.

They mean in terms of the historical story. This film is about the female Yang clan's adventures after the men were decimated in the events told in EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER.

But if it came out first, shouldn't it be billed as a prequel? :bigsmile:

IVL runs at PAL time, where as if Funimation is genuine NTSC, it'll be longer than that. However, it doesn't tell us much, so you're best contacting them.

I'm really not a fan of the design on the trailer and artwork - I hope it's changed.

IVL runs at PAL time, where as if Funimation is genuine NTSC, it'll be longer than that. However, it doesn't tell us much, so you're best contacting them.

I'm really not a fan of the design on the trailer and artwork - I hope it's changed.

Well, we've yet to figure out if these will follow Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty in regards to having proper NTSC progressive scan transfers. This is one area I'm a little concerned about, as this could just be another Well Go (using the same PAL to NTSC transfer as IVL)... but probably not nearly as bad as Image.

As for the trailer, it looks like they took the Celestial trailer and added Funimation wraparounds.

We'll see in two months...

I've been in contact with Rojas a few times. Details are sparse at the minute, but I've recommended what they should do and he's passed it onto their team working on the Shaws. I'm hoping they get in touch really soon (been a fortnight since) as the date's getting closer.

I've been in contact with Rojas a few times. Details are sparse at the minute, but I've recommended what they should do and he's passed it onto their team working on the Shaws. I'm hoping they get in touch really soon (been a fortnight since) as the date's getting closer.

If Media Blasters can make correct transfers, Funimation should be able to just as well. As long as they have the original PAL masters from Celestial to work with and properly convert to NTSC (hell, I've done this myself with some of the French Wild Side SB DVDs), it should be a breeze.

If Media Blasters can make correct transfers, Funimation should be able to just as well. As long as they have the original PAL masters from Celestial to work with and properly convert to NTSC (hell, I've done this myself with some of the French Wild Side SB DVDs), it should be a breeze.

Yep. As long as they get everything directly from the original format and not converted by Celestial's clowns, then it should be fine. However, I still want to make sure as the promotional trailer looks a little iffy frame-wise (although it's possibly down to the file).

Like some other films, I wonder if Celestial maybe re-did the film with the footage restored, BUT with their frame-cut exercises. Chances are, it could be a wider frame and maybe better looking (although with 'The Heroic Ones', it's hard to determine what colour scheme is right).

I haven't seen the film, so other people will be more suited to answer. I just wanted for them to make sure they make the best from what's available (re-translated subtitles, no bad conversions or interlacing where there shouldn't be, mono before anything else, seamless branching for a different version, English dub, ensure the correct language).

I do wonder about extras. The original trailer by default, maybe photo galleries, 'Elegant Trails'. Fan-donated materials would be brilliant as well if people were to post anything relevant to each film.

However, I still want to make sure as the promotional trailer looks a little iffy frame-wise (although it's possibly down to the file).

I thought about that, but I think even some of Media Blasters uses of the Celestial trailers were PAL-to-NTSC. I think this also applied to BCI's Opium and the Kung Fu Master, at least the blu-ray.

I dunno, it all seems like a 50/50 coin toss right now.

Guest WuxiaFan

I never noticed that, so thanks for pointing that out, KM! :ooh:

Never mind the English dub... let's hope this is the full uncut version.

It's always fun to watch these with the classic dub! :bigsmile: And yes, I hope its uncut.

Thanks KFB! YES, that's what I meant! :wink:

But if it came out first, shouldn't it be billed as a prequel? :bigsmile:

HAZ -- Agree! I've edited my original posting to properly reflect that! I haven't watched 14 AMAZONS right after EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER before, but it would be interesting to watch them in that order to see how the stories flow, especially with the number of years between the two films.

Oops.....I just remembered that I was the one who submitted the cast list and other info including running time to Amazon when they first listed the DVD on their site. Ditto for Hong Kong Godfather. Please disregard the running time stated at Amazon's site. It may indeed be longer and uncut!

Killer Meteor
Funimation's 14 Amazons is indeed longer as Amazon has revised the running time to 123 minutes.

From 118, that may just be NTSC speed but let's wait and see!

Killer Meteor
The uncut version runs 122m at 25fps, 128m at 24fps.

Do we actually know what is missing in the present DVD edits?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Funimation's 14 Amazons is indeed longer as Amazon has revised the running time to 123 minutes.

Oh man... my fingers are crossed! Please let this be uncut. :nerd:

Archived