Death Games-Fan Siu Wong

Phoenix

I saw this years ago and was extremely impressed by the fight scenes, what are members' opinions of this film? I tracked it down because the Stunt People sight gave it a good review, but all I have is a VCD rip which is lacking in quality, especially for the fast moving scenes.

A site called Far East Flix seems to have it on dvd, is that one of Stiller's operations, does anyone know what the quality of that dvd is? It's labelled as full screen.

Someone also needs to start a thread on Fan Siu Wong someday.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this movie...

Alan 'Jai Jai' Lan (Lan Tien-hong's son), mainstay of Sammo Hung's Action Team for many years was the director and fight choreographer

In HK it only ever popped up on VCD, somewhat washed out but it did get a South American and China DVD release, if you hit www.yesasia.com and maybe even ethai.cd they might have DVD's of it....

Fan Siu-wong is such a talented performer, and really great guy too..its so good to see him finally getting the attention he deserves since his work on"Ip Man" etc

odioustrident

I think if you had to show someone the best kung fu of the 90's, Death Games would be a serious runner up behind Fist of Legend and Drunken Master II.

Did Alan 'Jai Jai' Lan direct or chreograph any other films which feature action similar to Death Games?

I will try and track down a dvd of this film, the vcd just isn't good enough.

I plan on rewatching the film (even in the low quality I have it in) because I find the fight scenes to be outstanding.

edit-Yesasia don't seem to have the dvd, I will try the other site but would appreciate it if someone could provide me with a link for it.

Does anyone know the quality of the Far East Flix dvd?

Might need to track this one down too. I get the feeling that there probably isn't a decent DVD release though kind of like Legend of the Wolf which is another one I'd really like to get a decent copy of.

http://www.fareastflix.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=deathgamesdvd&Category_Code=

I got this copy from FarEastFlix.com about a year ago.

As stated above by LoBo, it's the VHS ripped to DVD, and It's a perfectly watchable copy.

Prior to this I hunted high and low for it and this is, to my knowledge, the only way to see this.

Can't see it getting any sort of re-release, either.

Thanks for the replies guys, I see FLK have a version for sale but it states it may take some time to ship. What's interesting is the list it as being widescreen but the Far East Flix site lists their version as being full screen.

I might buy both versions. I've never ordered from FLK before, I know members have here though, would you recommend them?

If the vcd transfer is good enough it may be worth it as when viewing the vcd files on my set up there are moments where the picture is quite low quality.

Rewatched the film today, though, and the fights were great. I even thought the story was ok, could have been better though. Fan Siu Wong deserved to star in a lot more films based on his performance in this, I need to see more of his output.

Archived