Bruce Li lost film

MG Lerox

Hi does anyone know anything about Bruce Li`s lost movie called ''Father of Jeet Kune Do'' some footage of that film was used on movie ''Real Bruce Lee''.

jeek6.jpg

jeek3.jpg

Thanks in advance

MG

• Like 1

This footage was comissioned by the Late Dick Randall for use in His film "Young Bruce Lee".I think Father of Jeet Kune do is an AKA for Bruce lee's secret

• Like 1

This footage was comissioned by the Late Dick Randall for use in His film "Young Bruce Lee".I think Father of Jeet Kune do is an AKA for Bruce lee's secret

I don't think that father of jeet kune do is an AKA for any Bruce Li movie. Maybe bruceleeclones could clarify this. He's very knowledgeable on Lee clones.

• Like 1

Bruce Lee's Secret (aka loads of different titles) is NOT Father of Jeet Kune Do. That title first became known in a 'Clone' films article in the old Kung fu Monthly mag. The known footage is thought to be from the film, but was it ever finished?

• Like 1

Well it is possible that this movie was never finished like Enter Another Dragon & Sal,Pepper and Salt Seuce, but maybe it is just too rare :squigglemouth:

• Like 1

brucefather.jpg

Jimmy Shaw re title of Golden Sun's classic , which landed him in court.

Real Bruce Lee is also Dick Randall's film. he used the footage in both films i think.

• Like 2

That picture is from another Bruce Li film called ''Bruce Lee`s Secret'' a.k.a ''Golden Sun'' you can see that those two are different film because in Father of Jeet Kune Do Bruce Li wears Kato uniform :)

jeek4.jpg

• Like 1

bruceleeclones

It's quite interesting footage that featured in both The Real Bruce Lee and Young Bruce Lee. The scenes would suggest that it is from an unknown Ho Chung-Tao Bruce Lee bio-pic. Ive seen all known movies of his and can guarantee it's not featured in any of them, and the amount of footage would seem unlikely that it is 'cut' scenes. I also very much doubt Dick Randall would have comissioned footage to be shot just for Real Bruce Lee or Young Bruce Lee. Mostly likely explanation is that the film has simply been lost, in the same way that a complete version of Last Fist of Fury (the Dragon Lee film tacked onto The Real Bruce Lee) has never surfaced since Randall bought up the rights to distribute the films in the west.

@ Shapes, do you have anymore of those 'Father of jeek kune do' lobby cards?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
brucefather.jpg

Jimmy Shaw re title of Golden Sun's classic , which landed him in court.

Real Bruce Lee is also Dick Randall's film. he used the footage in both films i think.

Shaw took over the Jackie Chan Lo Wei films and that resulted in court action with Media Asia, which is why early DVDs often used crummy tape masters even when superior materials were around.

• Like 1

To be honest i think that Father of Jeet Kune Do could be just a scene that Bruce Li did for ''The Real Bruce Lee'', also it can be not finished project like Enter Another Dragon and Sal, Pepper & Soy Sauce. Also one of the options is that movie is just too rare. I`ll ask one my friend he has many kung fu movies.

• Like 1

Jimmy Shaw , R P Shah and dick Randall are all very smart men, if there was a Full Bruce Li film to be sold, they would have sold it, no rares in their cupboards.

It could have been footage for a film that was stopped a few days into production, (many of them in HK and Taiwan), but I am sure they were just scenes to go with the Child hood movies so that the folks who showed them didn't get their throats cut by angry fans.

• Like 2

bruceleeclones

I doubt the film would have purposely been held back from release, as you said, those guys would make money from anything. I think that it's a real possibility that the full film was simply lost when Randall bought up the childhood footage and the dragon lee film, which like I said hasnt seen the light of day in it's full length after been used on the Real Bruce Lee. Guess we could theorize it all day until a full print ever does surface.

• Like 1

Let me take a crack at this.

The movie that was show on television here as "Bruce Lee's Secret" is quite possibly "Father of Jeet Kune Do". Bruce Lee had the phrase Jeet Kune Do copyrighted which meant that no Bruceploitation pick could legally use it. In fact "Bruce Lee's Secret" changes the name to what sounds like Cher Chun Do. I suggest that a Jeet Kune Do film was made, was blocked from release by Lee's estate, and eventually was released in 1977 with the fighting style changed in the dubbing to something that was not Jeet Kune Do. This would probably involve scenes being cut. In fact "Bruce Lee's Secret" has definite cuts on the film print prior to it being transferred onto video. I am not sure if the cuts were made for legal reasons, if the film was eventually cut shorter for a re-release so it came in at 90 minutes for those double feature theaters, or if they simply used a broken grind house print instead of a master print. But you can hear audible cuts in that movie. Perhaps if someone has seen the original HK print of this movie then they could say if the missing scenes were part of the film?

Another possibility. The footage used in "The Real Bruce Lee" was cut out of the US master print of "Bruce Lee's Secret" at a time they did not think it would be released, and then when the film was being re-dubbed for a legal release the cut footage was not restored.

• Like 1

bruceleeclones

The scenes couldnt be from Bruce Lee's Secret, because the film doesnt delve that far into Bruce Lee's career to explain the recreations of green hornet, fist of fury, etc.

• Like 1

DT-Nice1988

In Dick Randalls second release "Young Bruce Lee - The Little Dragon" is the same footage but longer. 

In Germany the footage was used for a special cut version of "The True Game of Death", together with footage from "Bruce Lee's Secret". 

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

I wonder if the footage was alternatives for He's A Legend, He's A Hero AKA Dragon Lives. In that film, we get Big Boss and Fist of Fury recreations, but Li had a very prominent moustache!

• Like 3

Cognoscente

Speaking of Dragon Lives, the 100th issue of Cinemart (April '78) contains a production photo of Bruce Li.

#100 1978.jpg

• Like 2