Monkey Kung Fu (aka 'Stroke of Death') (1979)

klepto

I watched Stroke of Death tonight and really enjoyed it. The kung fu action was furious and the angles were very wide so it did not get in the way of the action. There were a few parts in the movie where there was undercranking or something that sped up the action a bit much and as unnecessary. All in all a classic, next up The Master Strikes with Casanova Wong.

I'm not a big fan of his but he surprises me sometimes.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched Stroke of Death tonight and really enjoyed it. The kung fu action was furious and the angles were very wide so it did not get in the way of the action. There were a few parts in the movie where there was undercranking or something that sped up the action a bit much and as unnecessary. All in all a classic, next up The Master Strikes with Casanova Wong.

I'm not a big fan of his but he surprises me sometimes.

This movie is great. Ching Su Tung should have starred in more movies based on this one alone. Love the training scenes and the end fight is totally awesome. One of the great SHAW films of the year even without the "big" names.

Yeah, I watched this for the first time a few nights back and loved it. Ching Siu Tung seemed to have all as gorhama says, would've been interesting to see him in more movies. I guess that's one of the things that'll always make this movie special.

I bought the...ahem...Pan Media version of this a good few years back when I didn't know any better. Despite my treachery, I absolutely adore this movie. The sheer amount and brilliance of the fights on display makes this a classic in my book.

I promise to buy a legitimate release of this as soon as I decide to have my next spending spree.

I bought the...ahem...Pan Media version of this a good few years back when I didn't know any better. Despite my treachery, I absolutely adore this movie. The sheer amount and brilliance of the fights on display makes this a classic in my book.

I promise to buy a legitimate release of this as soon as I decide to have my next spending spree.

I trust you Monk!!! It's worth having as many copies of this gem as possible too!!!

I first saw this back in 1980 I have been watching it ever since, Hau chiu sing is one of the best kung fu actors everm his drunken boxing in number 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh man I need to get on this one. Hopefully a legit release comes some day for the US. Hau Chiu-Sing is probably my favorite drunken fighter ever in Snake in the Monkey's Shadow. Does he do some drunken in Stroke of Death? And does he have a big role?

Oh man I need to get on this one. Hopefully a legit release comes some day for the US. Hau Chiu-Sing is probably my favorite drunken fighter ever in Snake in the Monkey's Shadow. Does he do some drunken in Stroke of Death? And does he have a big role?

A co-starring role and yes....he busts out some drunken moves for sure!! You'll love it. I'd say get the import DVD so you can see it pronto!!!

Stroke of Death is a straight up classic. I had a washed out edited for tv copy on disc a while back but it was pretty unwatchable. I am dying to see this one again. I often get on the verge of getting the panmedia version at times but end up holding off.

• Administrator
I first saw this back in 1980 I have been watching it ever since, Hau chiu sing is one of the best kung fu actors everm his drunken boxing in number 1

Ditto! :nerd:

Morgoth, you don't have an all-region player yet? Can't you hack yours? There's a thread of codes on here somewhere I think. I'm thrilled with the IVL/Celestial release!

A co-starring role and yes....he busts out some drunken moves for sure!! You'll love it. I'd say get the import DVD so you can see it pronto!!!

You said it G- he's as amazing as ever in this one. Sloshed as Hell and tearing shit up!

Stroke of Death is a straight up classic. I had a washed out edited for tv copy on disc a while back but it was pretty unwatchable. I am dying to see this one again. I often get on the verge of getting the panmedia version at times but end up holding off.

I watched a VHS dub of this for years, and loved it. But when I first saw it wide and remastered I got what Steve Martin likes to call... happy feet. :bigsmile:

Morgoth Bauglir

I haven’t had an all region player for at least a couple years. Luckily there’s so many good Shaws being released in the US now.

I saw a clip once on the net. It was a jail scene I think with Rambo Kong being doubled constantly. Amazing stuff. I couldn’t watch anymore clips. Have to watch it on the TV. Once I get my tax return I’ll get it one way or another.

Chinatown Kid

This is a favorite film of mine too with plenty of high energy fights and crisp choreography, this film is a great companion piece to Five Superfighters which has the same kind of vibe.

This is a favorite film of mine too with plenty of high energy fights and crisp choreography, this film is a great companion piece to Five Superfighters which has the same kind of vibe.

Yep agree has the same kind of indie feel as 5 superfighters. A touch too cranked in places but overall a very good film.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

BUT

Monkey Kung Fu.

Never heard of this.

Anyone now whats up here?

11173350_918996874830492_8326332963750266065_n.jpg?oh=25a19df08a17421b2fa4b2253214281d&oe=55DC9E72&__gda__=1436412078_299e14f9f4675cb0fd8f1f30b92d2e68

Or did someone photoshop this?

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Mad Monkey Kung Fu

BUT

Monkey Kung Fu.

Never heard of this.

Anyone now whats up here?

11173350_918996874830492_8326332963750266065_n.jpg?oh=25a19df08a17421b2fa4b2253214281d&oe=55DC9E72&__gda__=1436412078_299e14f9f4675cb0fd8f1f30b92d2e68

Or did someone photoshop this?

GD Y-Y

No Photoshop. This is a real movie.

MONKEY KUNG FU (1979, aka. Stroke of Death; Drunk Fighter) is a Shaw Brothers flick directed by John Law Ma (probably best known for FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS (1979, aka. The Drunken Fighter; Superfighters; The Super Fighters), and BRUCE LEE & I (1976, aka. Bruce Lee And I; Bruce Lee: His Last Days, His Last Nights; Sex Life of Bruce Lee; Unicorn Palm; I Love You, Bruce Lee). It's a terrific kung fu comedy starring Tony Ching Siu-Tung (a rare leading role) who's better known as an action choreography and director. He created classics like DUEL TO THE DEATH (1983, aka. The Duel), the CHINESE GHOST STORY film trilogy (1987-1991), and Jet Li's oddball adventure film DR. WAI IN “THE SCRIPTURE WITH NO WORDS” (1996). He gives a fantastic performance here, showing impressive dexterity, acrobatics, and killer shapes, along with good comedic timing. No stranger to playing a master of Monkey Fist, Hau Chiu-Sing gives another unforgettable turn as a moody expert of the simian fighting style. These two leads, along with Tony Leung Siu-Hung, collaborated to create the action for the film. Interestingly, Tony Leung, similar to Tony Ching, mostly did stunts and showed up in bit parts, played one major lead (36 CRAZY FIST (1977, Hong Kong, aka. Jackie Chan & The 36 Crazy Fists; Jackie Chan’s Bloodpact; The Master and The Boxer) and one of the main characters in in FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS), and went on to become better known as an action choreography and director on films like IRON ANGELS (1986, aka. Midnight Angels; Midnite Angels; Martial Angels), BLOOD MOON (1997), and IP MAN (2008). This is definitely a "must see"! :nerd:

I second KFB's "must see" stamp of approval. It's a great movie with some great choreography. One of the lesser know gems of the Shaw library, in my opinion.

I just got my hands on this movie, I haven't watched it yet however but I've heard good things

Bordello bedroom fight: Ching Siu Tung vs Prostitute;Awesome!!!!:bigsmile:

Archived