Human Lanterns Uncut UK DVD back in stock

Karlos

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throughout the time of sub-licensing the film to distributors, Celestial had produced two versions - each with footage not in the other (link). The second version only contains a 24 second cut, compared to 3 1/2 minutes of the first. John Charles reported that Celestial used the censored Taiwanese version. Linn would later not only describe what Celestial (oddly?) did to produce their second version, but also mentioned the finale is still missing footage.

As for the DVDs (bad conversion means blended frames/interlacing):

I don't know what the Siren Visual (Australian) DVD has, but if it's the first version, that'll be probably the better DVD as it won't have IVL's conversion issues, plus it'll be mono (although non-anamoprhic).

The Momentum Asia DVD is the second version and genuine PAL (although non-anamorphic).

The Wide Side (French) DVD has the second version in anamorphic progressive PAL and also contains the original trailer, but lacks an English translation.

Meanwhile, the Image Entertainment (US) DVD is reported to be the longest available (combining available footage together). Despite being anamorphic (don't know if that's genuine), it contains a bad conversion.

It's up-to you. :smile:

French is the longer Version and progressive 16x9 PAL :) plus it's the only Version to feature the Original Trailer, albeit a bit short (maybe a censored Version of it)

as for the "cut"; it's all in one shot. shorter Print has the Ending, longer the Start of the shot. combining them seemed to prove difficult as it could have resultet in a "jump" in the middle of the shot. and from other movies i know celestial always cut out such frames. so i doubt there will ever be a full Version of this Movie unless a fan (who can live with a jump in that shot combines it :)

as for other missing stuff - nobody knows for a fact. so what the hell..

Thanks Spannick, now added it into the paragraph.:bigsmile:

Celestial donated all their materials to the HKFA, so it's looking unlikely they'll do anything further to it.

I've wondered if Celestial kept versions of everything prior to processing/restoration. Had this been the case, it would be nice if they were to continue restoration, by re-processing each film with no frame-cuts/dropped footage, restoration to archival material and better quality audio.

I rented the UK one a while back.

That's some serious research, Spannick & Chen Lung!! Much appreciated!!

I've now got the UK disc - if anyone needs this, please feel free to PM me!!

:bigsmile:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The US version is definitely NOT the second version and has more footage combined than than IVL's and the UK copy both of which I possess. I've watched this film many times. I also started with the boot copy on VHS with the deplorable first fifteen minutes of the film unwatchable. The R1 release is definitely the most complete version I've seen out there.

• Administrator
What does the US DVD contain exactly? What about the 'alternative take' in the extras?

On the US version the "alternate take" is the edited, less graphic version of the scene where he kills the girl- the same version that's ON the IVL DVD. In the film (US DVD) during this scene there's more blood and nudity. If you want more details, tell me specific scenes to check on and I'll be happy to help out.

On the US version the "alternate take" is the edited, less graphic version of the scene where he kills the girl- the same version that's ON the IVL DVD. In the film (US DVD) during this scene there's more blood and nudity. If you want more details, tell me specific scenes to check on and I'll be happy to help out.

Cheers!

LOL this 'alternate take' rather seems to be an excuse for an extra!

So, it's interesting that the US version combines the footage previously released by Momentum and IVL to produce a longer version. Just a shame it's a conversion job and the subtitles won't be re-translated. I'll amend the paragraph.

Wikipedia needs guys like you!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Cheers!

LOL this 'alternate take' rather seems to be an excuse for an extra!

So, it's interesting that the US version combines the footage previously released by Momentum and IVL to produce a longer version. Just a shame it's a conversion job and the subtitles won't be re-translated. I'll amend the paragraph.

Wikipedia needs guys like you!

Right on with wishing for a re-translation of the english subs. That boot VHS had the best english translated subs, go figure. Just like the old Zatoichi VHS releases had waaay better english translated subs. So much for new and improved english translations on any remastered martial art flick.

What does the US DVD contain exactly? What about the 'alternative take' in the extras?

In that "alternative" scene the small part where he cut the skin from the back of the shoulder and pulls it to the front of her body is a bit longer.

On the UK and the US cut of the film it's the same lenght for that shot. Only that extra scene on the U.S. DVD features a slightly longer shot.

Archived