question for the Golden Harvest fans...

Guest sevenhooks

The Association (1975) is very underrated as well. There's a cool fight between Byong Yu and Whang In Sik. Plus Angela Mao has a double role. Though Dragon Tamers ('74) is a standard basher, I think it's an unnoticed classic--directed by John Woo and James Tien in a very rare role as a leading man (yeah, Carter Wong has more screen time, but to me Tien is the star).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
drunkenmaster

I watched a bootleg (very unwatchable quality) of Invincible Eight (barely watched it), and from what I saw, it was very bland compared to something like 12 Gold Medallions. Mind you, I only watched a little bit, with subtitles cropped off, so I didn't get much out of it.

I picked up the remastered (Though I think it's just the subs that are remastered and not the actual print.) of "The Invincible Eight" and I think it is quite good, but I wouldn't list it as particularly "bloody". I've never seen "12 Gold Medallions" so I can't compare for you.

Thank you. =) I'll have to check these out in the future. I'm on roll with Shaw flicks. You can hardly go wrong with them!

Guest truspirit
Again, seen all of these.

Looking for lesser known stuff I suppose.

Phantom Killer sounds great though.

Any specific release to recommend?

Speaking of Warriors Two, who was the guy on here who made the fan disc w/the old dub synched up?

Those screen caps looked pretty good from what I remember and my only copy of W2 don't look so hot.

:(

I think his name was bentley.I managed to get a copy off him a few years ago.

kungfusamurai

There aren't as many GH kung fu flicks as Shaw, so they're all worth checking out. I'd stick with later ones first and work backwards, and also use certain actors as a guide on what to get, like stuff with Sammo, Jackie, Angela Mao, etc.... I'm not a fan of Jimmy Wang Yu, so I can't recommend any of his flick, but you might like them. Cheeky Chap and Phantom Killer were cool. There seemed to be more sex than blood in GH films when compared to Shaw Brothers.

KFS

drunkenmaster

Jimmy Wang Yu has a style of his own and did work for both Shaws and Golden Harvest when he wasn't making indie and Taiwanese films. He's not a particularly good martial artist, but his films were rarely boring. You could always rely on a certain amount of weirdness that I call the “Wang Yu factor”. I guess you either love or hate it. Personally I can never get enough.

kungfusamurai
I disagree.Shaw movies had more sex and expolitation than golden harvest if you're not counting their movies like sex & zen or erotic ghost story.

I don't know too many Chang Cheh or Lau Kar Leung films from the mid to late 70s with sex. Wasn't the sex mainly in the sword play genre?

When I was a kid, I liked the Wang Yu stuff, but as my martial arts film tastes became more sophisticated (LOL!), I just couldn't watch his films anymore. He's more of a brawler than a kung fu fighter. Like the Japanese Yakuza flicks versus the karate or samurai films.

KFS

Archived