question for the Golden Harvest fans...

Guest sevenhooks

Guest sevenhooks

Okay, most of you here know I'm a Shaw fan.

But my preference is certainly not exclusive.

I love a good movie period.

Been getting into some late 70's / early 80's Golden Harvest joints lately.

Last Hurrah for Chivalry, Prodigal Son, Duel To The Death, The Sword (Golden Harvest?), etc. are all great.

But I now want to dig a little deeper and explore other stuff from that same period and of that same calibur.

What can you recommend?

I heard Cheeky Chap was pretty good (and if anyone has an english dub of this and wants to trade, hit me up on the message)

Looking for good action, be it kung fu or swordplay and a decent story if possible. I'm pretty open here, so give it your best shot...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Seen all of those actually (though it's been well over 20 years since I watched Hapkido - should probably peep it again).

Looking to delve a little deeper in the GH vaults for some gems I might not be knowing too much about.

Just how thick is their catalogue anyway?

Obviously not as plentiful as Shaw's, BUT STILL!

Guest Markgway

I wouldn't recommend The Cheeky Chap personally... if you're looking for a Wei Pai vehicle The Phantom Killer is better.

Any of the following are worth checking out...

Dreadnaught, The Iron-Fisted Monk, Knockabout, The Magnificent Butcher, The Prodigal Son, Warriors Two, The Young Master.

1977-1981 was the best period for Golden Harvest traditional martial arts IMO.

I really liked Wheels on Meals, any of those old Chan movies are good before he came to Hollywad, it's been years but I remember really liking Fearless Hyena to, need to check that one out again here.

Guest sevenhooks
Any of the following are worth checking out...

Dreadnaught, The Iron-Fisted Monk, Knockabout, The Magnificent Butcher, The Prodigal Son, Warriors Two, The Young Master.

Again, seen all of these.

Looking for lesser known stuff I suppose.

Phantom Killer sounds great though.

Any specific release to recommend?

Speaking of Warriors Two, who was the guy on here who made the fan disc w/the old dub synched up?

Those screen caps looked pretty good from what I remember and my only copy of W2 don't look so hot.

:(

Guest gfanikf

Bandits From Shantung

The One-Armed Boxer

A Man Called Tiger

Back Alley Princess

Beach of the War Gods

The Devil's Treasure

The Fate of Lee Khan

The Skyhawk

Manchu Boxer

The Man From Hong Kong

1980l

Encounter of the Spooky Kind

Missiles Over Falklands ( I have no idea what this was but I want to)

Duel to the Death

Winners and Sinners

Shaolin Drunkard (THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME)

Project A

Pom Pom (Not to much action but very funny)

Long Arm of the Law

Wheels on Meals

Mr. Vampire

Police Story

Witch From Nepal

100 Ways to Murder Your Wife

Lucky Stars Go Places

Mr. Vampire II

Heroes Shed No Tears

Tragic Hero

Scared Stiff

Eastern Condors

Project A II

Long Arm of the Law - Saga II

Mr. Vampire Part III

Dragons Forever

Paper Marriage

The Inspector Wears Skirts

Police Story Part II

Phantom Killer is the better of the Wei Pei films that were released. These are the best from each year IMO that don't get a lot of mention:

The Invincible Eight

The Blade Spares None

Bandits From Shantung

Lady Whirlwind

The One-Armed Boxer

Hapkido

A Man Called Tiger-Uncut version only

Seaman No.7

None But the Brave

Beach of the War Gods

When Tae Kwon Do Strikes

Thunderbolt

The Fate of Lee Khan

The Tattooed Dragon

The Shaolin Boxer

Whiplash

The Tournament

The Valiant Ones

The Seven Coffins

The Young Dragons

The Himalyan-One of my all time faves

Tiger of Northland

The Shaolin Plot

The Invincible Swordswoman

Broken Oath

Naked Comes the Huntress

Mr. Big-Modern action

The Hellfire Angel-Modern action

The Sword

Tower of Death

The Phantom Killer

The Gold Hunters

Death Hunt

I was going by a Fortune Star list I have and that sneaked in. ;) Corrected. And gfanikf needs to stop copying my posts...before I post them! :) BTW, Missiles Over Falklands...not so hot.

Guest gfanikf

Ah I forgot Tower of Death granted I like the GOD2 cut a lot more. Mainly because its the worst movie ever with the greatest kung fu.

And gfanikf needs to stop copying my posts...before I post them!

:lol :lol

Guest Yakuza954

Is an uncut version of A Man Called Tiger available? What extra footage does it have? I remember Markgway and VonHumboldtFleischer having a discussion about it before.

there was a vcd that was uncut and the Japanese release was uncut and widescreen. As for what was cut, it's been a while, but the "international version" released in the US by Embassy (and nearly everywhere else) was missing at least 15-20 minutes of footage. It was everything from fights to regular scenes.

Guest Dion Brother

WANG YU'S 7 MAGNIFICENT FIGHTS, THE HIMALAYAN, SHAOLIN PLOT and SKYHAWK are all seriously underrated. I think Tan Tao Liang looked better in THE HIMALAYAN than anything else he ever did. Would love to see a remastered dvd of any of these. My copy of SHAOLIN PLOT succumbed to VHS humidity rot years ago.

Guest FarEastPirate

a VCD of Himalayen was Just released by Fourtune star,

with no subs

Excellent quality on par with the early Megastar releases on DVD when they were not remastered no little digital blocks at all on my 23 inch Plasma

Guest dager in the cotton

Dion's right , Himalayan was one of Tan's best works , he was razor sharp in that. the training scene alone is worth the price of 10 DVD'S , a lot better than Hand of Death,

also be great to See, Shaolin Plot in Decent quality.

War Gods , Naked Comes the Huntress would be most welocme.

Flag of Honor is available at yes Asia I Think it's war film , Chang Shan plays a Japanese General, I have not seen the film can't confirm if he fights in it, I doubt it judging from the poster,

Guest Chen Zhen

if u havent already, its in ur best interest to check out those GH angie mao flix...the broken oath, when tae kwan do strikes, the tournament, and hapkido are all top notch flix. especially the tournament...f'n awesome flick.

I've been curious about GH movies in the early 70's. Like, how are their swordman/swordwoman flicks compared to Shaws?

Budgets? Set designs? Blood factor? Gore? Stories?

Guest Markgway

A lot of the early GH movies haven't dated terribly well compared to similar Shaw output.

The company didn't hit its stride IMO until about 1977

One thing I like about the late 60's/early 70's shaw films - aside from the talent, stories and direction - was the fact that they were really violent and bloody.

I know Golden Harvest started around 71', right? But were films like Invincible Eight and The Comet Strikes bloody? I know Bruce Lee's Big Boss was up there as far as blood was concerned, but I'm talking about the lesser known ones.

I watched a bootleg (very unwatchable quality) of Invincible Eight (barely watched it), and from what I saw, it was very bland compared to something like 12 Gold Medallions. Mind you, I only watched a little bit, with subtitles cropped off, so I didn't get much out of it.

I'm just wondering what the case would be if i picked up one of those new remastered they've been releasing on DVD.

Archived