Massacre Survivor for £2000

falkor

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

It's a shame about your finances Falkor, you were willing and able to pay 1750 quid for this at the time of posting! Stay careful my friend! As it stands, I would suggest the children willing to pay put their piggy banks together privately and get a 100 pound share together and then the lead then distributes it between them. If you get 9 mates it would be 10 pounds each then just ask for p&p or do a trade... the more the merrier.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, tdb - I'm certainly happy to put in a little extra.

2000 divided by 13 is 153 pounds each.

Obviously, I cannot talk for the others, but I'll put that in, no problem.

That's not a bad idea. No contributions will be accepted until the 1st of March. By the 3rd of March, if it turns out that we are not closing in on the 2K target then we can certainly appeal and try to co-ordinate and encourage a slight increase from each contributor. Again, I'm hoping we will get more than 20, so that I am able to do the opposite and give back partial refunds. We will see how it goes... Toby reckons that 1 person he knows will be contributing, but hasn't revealed himself on the forum. Certainly, nobody has come to me in private. I only have the public word of KFC members; Terry, are you in?

Please keep spreading the word... I think if this works out and we get 20 contributors, I, personally, would like to see each your names carved out in a memorial plaque to be displayed outside the Shaolin Temple, so that future generations of Kung Fu Cinema fans will know who were responsible for saving Massacre Survivor from extinction. Many bits and pieces I have contributed to the Kung scene has probably been forgotten, but I want this one to be remembered for many years to come. This is a very special and defining event in the history of the KF scene. If the world wasn't so big and travel so expensive, I'm sure Toby would like nothing better than for us to all meet at the Bamboo Grove for a drink and a bite to eat, and to discuss Kung Fu. It definitely takes a special kind of Kung Fu fan/collector to be one of those twenty, thereby paying respect to the genre and the amount of time, effort and money that Toby has spent over the years to help shape the genre. I've always wondered who the *true* fans are (joked about this in the past), and unless you are experiencing financial hardship, there's no reason why you can't miss out that new item of clothing you wanted this month, and put your money into something extra special... I don't care if crocodiles become extinct... we badly need Massacre!

100 dollars ? You got it all wrong. The average price for a DVD copy is currently about 10 bucks. I'll gladly pay 10 bucks for my copy, when and if it gets released, assuming we want to do business here. Are we clear ? Good. Bye.

Why do you keep deleting your posts & then re-posting? You've posted the same message 3 times in the last few minutes & then deleted it. You don't have to delete the post, just edit it if you want to make a change.

I've seen some 35mm scans from the Massacre reels. The print looks good, but is slightly pink; however, Toby says the final telecined print on DVD-R will be an improvement over this--more vivid. Based on his assessment, the print is a bit grubby, but yet superior to Showdown At the Cotton Mill (Rarescope) and Death Fist (unreleased). More news as it arrives...

Can all the contributors please PM me your email address? Ta! :)

Is it too late for Mr Splitta to join in? :tongue:

Joking aside, please add me to the list of contributors. I've heard about this film here and there over the years, but never really understood quite how rare it was. Have just read the whole of this thread, and having scoured the net, i'd very much like to see it. There appears to be a few folks who want to see this a whole lot more than me, so it can't hurt to give them a helping hand (and a little bit less to pay)!

PM on it's way to you Falkor.

Another rare movie ticked off the list!!!!

This, combined with some custom subtitling work over on another thread, is kicking 2010 off in bloody great style.

LOOKS AND SOUNDS BETTER THAN EXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

What happened to the colour?

I have to assume that will be slightly improved for the release?

Either way, I'm in for £100

Toby said the colour would have faded years ago in Taiwan. And yes, on the negative scans, it said "Eastman". Once I've gathered the funds to give to him in March, he will provide us with the raw anamorphic (16:9) telecined transfer, and then any of the contributors are welcome to try some digital post processing to try to bring out more of the colour. Otherwise, I am very please with how the choreography looks from that short clip! What do you guys think? My mouth is watering...

• Administrator

Oh damn! That looks sweeeeeet! :nerd:On something that rare I expected that kind of color deterioration. Oh how I'D LIKE TO SEE THIS!

Toby has left a really enthusiastic voicemail on my work phone, talking about how action packed and how confirmed Massacre is! I've not heard him talk like that since Canton Viper...

Toby has left a really enthusiastic voicemail on my work phone, talking about how action packed and how confirmed Massacre is! I've not heard him talk like that since Canton Viper...

I don't understand what you mean by 'confirmed' in that context.

Otherwise, the clip (and probably the print) is obviously dirty and damaged (not too mention the color issue), but still clearly watchable. The audio, what there was of it, sounded good. It's all we got, so it'll have to do.

thundered mantis

Confirmed means IMO, that is a solid film, with the values that the fans do appreciate; that is a worthy exponent of the Yuen clan work, in resume, that delivers.

BTW, falkor if you got the time please update the donors list; with Gaijin84 and wigsplitta we are 15 now, and if that Terry you mentioned jumped in, maybe even 16.

Confirmed means IMO, that is a solid film, with the values that the fans do appreciate; that is a worthy exponent of the Yuen clan work, in resume, that delivers.

Thanks. Must be the Queen's English, cause it ain't idiomatic American English (that I'm aware of).

Woohoo! Sixteen (more or less) ; making good progress.

thundered mantis
Thanks. Must be the Queen's English, cause it ain't idiomatic American English (that I'm aware of).

Don´t tell me, I´m spanish :wink:. But yeah, I think terms like "confirmed", "shapes", "hate" and so on are mostly used on kung by UK fans.

Muahahahaha! We´re 16! quite close! :xd:

Looks a rather mediocre film to me

That's a big leap to make for such a shot clip!

The quality is fine to me. I wonder if the plot holds water, though.

For those interested in contributing £100, helping a great cause, and being the first to watch Massacre Survivor, here is your pre-arranged viewing schedule for the next month in order to build up the excitement and adrenaline, thereby progressing towards your initial viewing of what could be the final classic of late 70s Kung Fu Cinema:

Cameo = 1 point

Star = 2 points

Director = 3 points

Action Choreographer = 4 points

Watch = 9 points or more

The Web of Death (1976)

Action Choreographed by Yuen Cheung-Yan of Massacre Survivor

Starring Wang Chung of Massacre Survivor

Cameo by Yuen Cheung-Yan of Massacre Survivor

Cameo by Alan Chui of Massacre Survivor

Cameo by Corey Yuen Kwai of Massacre Survivor

= 9 points

Six Directions of Boxing (1980)

Starring Corey Yuen Kwai of Massacre Survivor

Starring Yuen Yat-Choh of Massacre Survivor

Starring by Yuen Cheung-Yan of Massacre Survivor

= 10 points

To Kill A Jaguar (1977)

Starring Chung Wa of Massacre Survivor

Cameo by Yuen Yat-Choh of Massacre Survivor

= 10 points

The Buddha Assassinator (1980)

Action Choreographed by Corey Yuen Kwai of Massacre Survivor

Directed by Tung Kan-Wu Of Massacre Survivor

Starring Lung Fei of Massacre Survivor

= 11 points

Killer Clans (1976)

Starring Chung Wa of Massacre Survivor

Starring Wang Chung of Massacre Survivor

= 11 points

The 7 Grandmasters (1978)

Starring Lung Fei of Massacre Survivor

Starring Alan Chui of Massacre Survivor

= 14 points

Instant Kung Fu Man (1977)

Directed by Tung Kan-Wu Of Massacre Survivor

Starring Alan Chui of Massacre Survivor

Starring Yuen Yat-Choh of Massacre Survivor

= 18 points

Those are the most similar to Massacre Survivor with 80% above average IMO! 7 Grandmasters and Instant Kung Fu Man need to be watched the day before Massacre for maximum build up and entertainment experience!

odioustrident

That clip has superior shapes to Instant Kung Fu Man IMO, which had the same director and choreographers (although Instant Kung Fu Man apparently and Yuen Wo Ping on board too?). The exchange in that clip was more intricate than anything in the whole of Instant Kung Fu Man, but if you're all about kicks I guess the latter is the way to go.

Archived