Massacre Survivor for £2000

falkor

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

If I had the money, I'd pay on the condition the telecine was satisfactory (which Showdown At Cotton Mill and Along Came A Tiger are not, they are the poorest telecine I've seen in years), and new translated subs were offered.

Independant reccomendation of the film would help, I just don't trust Falkor as a critic. He hated Exit the Dragon, Enter The Tiger!

Wrath of the Sword intrigues me, as does The Roaring Lion. If I won the lottery, I'd pay for those to get a remastered DVD release, and I mean that.

And is it true that Toby has a print for Shaolin Vs Lama?

Guest Yi-Long
If I had the money, I'd pay on the condition the telecine was satisfactory (which Showdown At Cotton Mill and Along Came A Tiger are not, they are the poorest telecine I've seen in years), and new translated subs were offered.

Independant reccomendation of the film would help, I just don't trust Falkor as a critic. He hated Exit the Dragon, Enter The Tiger!

Wrath of the Sword intrigues me, as does The Roaring Lion. If I won the lottery, I'd pay for those to get a remastered DVD release, and I mean that.

Shaolin vs Lama came out on VHS, didn't it? I have it, though fullscreen Pan & scan, and dubbed. Didn't care much for it, but obviously the horrible quality of the release probably has something to do with that.

What's special about Shaolin -vs- Lama? There's 3 releases for it on DVD. Am I missing something?

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.536510/qx/details.htm

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.531635/qx/details.htm

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.1436/qx/details.htm

I have a friend with a wide print of Shaolin Vs. Lama. There are a few wide prints in circulation. I'm surprised no one has telecined it yet.

Killer Meteor
I have a friend with a wide print of Shaolin Vs. Lama. There are a few wide prints in circulation. I'm surprised no one has telecined it yet.

Is this an English or a Chinese print?

Is this an English or a Chinese print?

It's a Chinese print with english subs. I know of a couple collectors that have this on 35mm. No one has telecined this yet in Chinese, or at least they haven't for popular consumption. I haven't been offered a DVD of it.

I Could be interested in investing but i'd want a reassurance of quality etc...surely for £100 we could expect some nice cover art to be provided etc...

Regardless of what £100 gets us and whether JAMAL's contact comes through with a cover in time, if we--between us--do not raise the £2000 then we will NOT get the movie full stop.

thundered mantis

Still are we 13? Come on guys! It´s 100 pounds, ok, but it´s three months time. That makes a loan of 33 pounds per month. How much does a regular DVD cost in the UK? 16 pounds? It would be like buying two dvds a month. That surely isn´t too step. And this movie is a zillion times rarer than ANY DVD you can buy on your regular store.

This movie isn´t about the extras, is about being able to ever see a pure shapes gem from Yuen clan (Buddhist Fist, anyone?) or declare it lost to our eyes, maybe forever.

Killer Meteor
Still are we 13? Come on guys! It´s 100 pounds, ok, but it´s three months time. That makes a loan of 33 pounds per month. How much does a regular DVD cost in the UK? 16 pounds? It would be like buying two dvds a month. That surely isn´t too step. And this movie is a zillion times rarer than ANY DVD you can buy on your regular store.

This movie isn´t about the extras, is about being able to ever see a pure shapes gem from Yuen clan (Buddhist Fist, anyone?) or declare it lost to our eyes, maybe forever.

Not all of us are made of money. Besides, reccomending a movie because its got "shapes" never impresses me.

Sorry, but good luck!

lightning hopkins

Since I don't know the protocols of trading here, a serious question:

If someone were to invest their share and receive a copy, are they then free to distribute it to others as they choose through trade/donation/etc.?

Seems like the subject is rather conspicuous in its absence from all the responses here, which makes me wonder whether it would be considered bad form for a rare film.

Anyone?

Guest Markgway

If you pay for something it's up to you what you do with it. The whole point of this exercise is save a lost title. The more copies out there the better.

thundered mantis
Not all of us are made of money.

Sorry, but good luck!

Can´t argue with that. Not all of us are in the same circumstances. For instance, I have no house loans nor children to raise. I understand people on different situations will get different order of priorities, fair enough. Still, I don´t need the 2000 registered users, I´ll be happy with 20! :bigsmile:

Besides, reccomending a movie because its got "shapes" never impresses me.

How come, man?! :wink: Shapes is all I need, seriously. But maybe this movie´s also got a great conveying storyline, artistically presented (or not). We´ll never know if we don´t get it first.

Killer Meteor

How come, man?! :wink: Shapes is all I need, seriously. But maybe this movie´s also got a great conveying storyline, artistically presented (or not). We´ll never know if we don´t get it first.

I think because i view these films as a complete package, and it takes more then the promise of "shapes" to attract my attention

odioustrident

If we don't reach 20 people paying 100 each, is it possible to set up some kind of donation pool in which people contribute an undisclosed amount according to what they can afford? There could be an allowed minimum also if people want that. I'm not sure, but that might be the fastest way to reach 2000, if some people don't mind paying more than others for the same copy. I was thinking of this as more a donation to the scene anyway, as everyone will /should get their hands on the print sooner or later.

NOTE:

The topic of Haiti has been moved so as not to derail the current thread.

Please go here for further discussion on the issue of Haiti. Thanks...

If we don't reach 20 people paying 100 each, is it possible to set up some kind of donation pool in which people contribute an undisclosed amount according to what they can afford? There could be an allowed minimum also if people want that. I'm not sure, but that might be the fastest way to reach 2000, if some people don't mind paying more than others for the same copy. I was thinking of this as more a donation to the scene anyway, as everyone will /should get their hands on the print sooner or later.

If we don't raise 2K with £100 contributions, we sure as hell won't do it with £20 (or other petty) contributions. It would probably take a year to get the children's piggybanks together, and Toby sure as hell won't be waiting around for 100 minors when he's offered a pet dinosaur. If we don't make the 2K then I'm going to have to liase in private with a handful of super collectors for £250 each. However, I'm going to be making a webpage soon to try to help get the the number of willing £100 contributors up to 20 and beyond, so that they can get some of that money back. As Mark pointed out, this about trying to save a lost classic. If the £100 or £250 plans don't work out then I think we'll just have to forget about--not just 1 of 5-10 unseen shapes films--but something that has connections with classics like 7 Grand and may even be up there with them.

What is the current count? 13? We still have slightly over a month for at least seven more people to join the pool. Too soon for doom and gloom pronouncements and even if we're a couple people short, the rest of us might be willing to make up the difference. I would; another forty or fifty bucks wouldn't be that big a deal. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I agree, tdb - I'm certainly happy to put in a little extra.

2000 divided by 13 is 153 pounds each.

Obviously, I cannot talk for the others, but I'll put that in, no problem.

odioustrident

I'm definitely willing to go to 153.

As far as the donation pool idea, falkor, I think (or hope) some people would donate much more than 20. If you kept us updated on how close to 2000 we had gotten, maybe people would start donating more?

edit: OK I just finished your post. The website idea is much better.

Archived