Massacre Survivor for £2000

falkor

I do wonder how long this scheme has been in the planning. Falkor has spent YEARS sending up Massacre Survivor as something akin to the second coming.

haha, I don't think it was that dramatic. I think the only extra money Falkor recieved was from the sales at the screening, which makes the whole thing even more sad. I don't think he sold very many. 2000 pounds is a fair price, imo. The 35mm filim by itself is worth that, if not more. And to telecine a 35mm print is not cheap. It's not like 8mm, or 16mm. A 35mm telecine machine is very expensive & those facilities that have one are very hard to come by. And this print is not fresh from the studio - it has some SERIOUS wear in it. You have to handle it with a very gentle touch if you don't want it to rip apart in your projector, which would only add to the cost of getting a dvd of it made.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha, I don't think it was that dramatic. I think the only extra money Falkor recieved was from the sales at the screening, which makes the whole thing even more sad. I don't think he sold very many. 2000 pounds is a fair price, imo. The 35mm filim by itself is worth that, if not more. And to telecine a 35mm print is not cheap. It's not like 8mm, or 16mm. A 35mm telecine machine is very expensive & those facilities that have one are very hard to come by. And this print is not fresh from the studio - it has some SERIOUS wear in it. You have to handle it with a very gentle touch if you don't want it to rip apart in your projector, which would only add to the cost of getting a dvd of it made.

I agree - I don't think it was a "scheme" per se. Everything falkor posted about the film after it he saw it and it was released looked pretty genuine and not something that was designed to make him money. Did he hype it up? Absolutely, but now that we've seen the film it deserved the hype. I guess I'll amend an earlier statement. The only thing I'm surprised about is not that it was sold at the screening, but the the amount it was sold for. If you've spent months building this up, only 20 people have a copy and you screen it to a limited group of people that are really into these films, why only sell copies for 5 pounds? Granted the quality is not pristine, but the rarity alone warranted a heftier price than that. I don't know how many he sold (Haz, you say not many?), but if he was really in this to make money or recoup his investment I'd think he'd charge more than that.

True kung fu FIENDS. I like that...kind of sums up Falkor, who is now in good company with George Tan, Chris Alexis, etc. Take the money and run.

Yeah, they sure as hell don't represent the real good UK collectors I know.

I agree - I don't think it was a "scheme" per se. Everything falkor posted about the film after it he saw it and it was released looked pretty genuine and not something that was designed to make him money. Did he hype it up? Absolutely, but now that we've seen the film it deserved the hype. I guess I'll amend an earlier statement. The only thing I'm surprised about is not that it was sold at the screening, but the the amount it was sold for. If you've spent months building this up, only 20 people have a copy and you screen it to a limited group of people that are really into these films, why only sell copies for 5 pounds? Granted the quality is not pristine, but the rarity alone warranted a heftier price than that. I don't know how many he sold (Haz, you say not many?), but if he was really in this to make money or recoup his investment I'd think he'd charge more than that.

I'm also surprised that he would only sell it for 5 pounds when he knew how rare & unique this movie is. I think that's what shocks me most of all. I just guessed at the numbers sold, but I don't think they were in anyway substantial or helped at all to recoup his investment. Maybe he sold it for cheap out of the love of the genre? Only he knows.

odioustrident

I think we should try to keep the really strong comments to a minimum here, especially if they are not coming from contributors. Some of the people that were skeptical of this project from the beginning now feel a little vindicated (correct me if I'm wrong). It is fine to say I told you so, but some of these comments border on gloating. By drawing attention to all this, and IMO jumping to major conclusions, we prevent another deal like this from occurring. I have a feeling some of us don't want another deal, or at least don't want one anything like the last.

The fact is, anything that went wrong can be prevented were this situation to come up again. We needed to lay specific rules out from the beginning, but there wasn't enough push for it from all involved (not just Falkor etc..) Some of these comments might prevent the whole situation coming up again period. We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot, and I hope no one is so bitter that they have that intention.

I'm not sure what Falkor etc... has to defend here; it was at our discretion to do what we wanted with the copy. We should hold the fault equally if we didn't communicate as well as we should have.

The 5 vs 100 issue doesn't make total sense to me. The discs would not be sold at the screening if we hadn't paid that 2000 (I'm trusting that is the case). I thought we knew we were paying to get the film out there, not hold a copy for some undisclosed period of time.

Again, any issue with the distribution could have been prevented if we laid things out. That responsibility, IMO, didn't fall completely on Falkor. It was his first time too.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Isn't it better to sell it cheaply, to cover costs, to real fans who have come to the event than trying to profiteer off it? This seems in line with the point of the project which was to save the film for real fans to be able to enjoy.

We all know about trading and torrents here, that's how the genre is now and also what has forced rarescope out of business and led to the Massacre deal. Let's focus on the positives here, the deal went through as agreed and it's available to the fans as was intended.

It's understandable some people are not very happy and if something similar is ventured again then more discussion should go ahead prior to the deal rather than people contributing under misguided assumptions. I don't think mudslinging is going to solve anything.

- OT - I posted at the same time as you, same thing...

silver hermit

i hope more of these projects happen in the future. i think that site should take up a collection and make a goodwill offering the next project if not pay for the next one they are getting a free ride already over there. :angel:

the contributors have a right to feel how they want. but this thread has gone from positive to ungrateful pretty quickly. it should have been locked and a new thread started.

You know that Toby could have just signed up with a new US distributor to release RS titles. It's not like BCI was the only choice, I wonder how many prints he has telecined that are just waiting to be pressed if he wants to or if a distributor bought the titles.

In the future I wont be uploading anything from these sort of projects unless I been told it's okay as the outcome wasn't what I expected. I know that people are pissed of with me but that's not what I intended. I was just under the impression that The the guy's had secured the deal so many of other fan's of this genre can enjoy it aswell, and being completely unaware that most of the contributers just wanted to hold on to it for themself or whatever reason such as trading with other's to get more Rare's out in the open or to make money of it.

I just simply uploaded it Thinking that it was okay , since it's out in the open now, I didn't do it deliberately to mess up any of the plan's that the contributors had in mind. It was only brought to my attention through the comments left by the contributors on this forum site or the site where it is uploaded that they had plan's to use massacre survivor as a tool to get more rare's out in the open from other collectors, which is understandable. I just think next time there is better communication amongst everyone involved, everything needs to be clear from the start so these mistakes dont occur again.

I know that it has upset people knowing that it was sold at the screening which I personally don't think was wrong. I think that future projects like this should be encouraged and let's all learn from the mistakes that were made from this one,and improve for the coming future projects if there are any.

Again I'm really sorry to all those guy's that feel like I messed up there plan's.

Until I see some evidence to contradict it, I'm going to assume everything went down to benefit the community. That's certainly why I invested in it. At this point I don't really see anything to shift me in another direction, and I hope nothing does.

thundered mantis

I was writing a long post, but erased it as I found dificult to explain myself well enough in english. I sum it up saying I think similar than Daigoro.

My personal goal was to see the movie. No 2000 pounds for Toby, no movie. I had the wish to see it, plus the situation to invest (no mortgages, no kids, pound is quite low this days, etc.). If anyone wanted to use the movie to secure other rares, we had two months for planning it together, but none of us suggested it.

I don´t see how Falkor can be responsible for other guy uploading the movie. What if one of us 17 would have done it? What would have been different? Is that totally unthinkable? Plus, what difference does it make to trade the movie than to sell it to a little true fan gathering? Falkor spent time and effort in the project. I don´t see nothing wrong with offering the movie to the fans, once it has been secured, and making a marginal profit for it. Do we know even if he covered expenses with hosting the screening? I tell you, I really don´t care, it´s not my bussiness. I´m glad they hosted it so kung fu aficionados could reunite and enjoy the movie on a big screen. What they did was promoting the genre.

I think Daigoro said the most important thing here:

A film

like this had 0 chance of being released on DVD, just make sure you don't make your chances 0 for it to happen again.

I´ll be 100% supporting a similar effort (if I have the money by then) again, as we reached our goal (that was to get to watch Massacre), and the other things I couldn´t care less. And I want to thank again Toby Russell for offering it, Falkor for putting us together, all the contributors for entering in, and also the people who supported via messages and similar.. Thank you all, and let´s hope Massacre ain´t the last rare we rescue from the vaults.

Maybe everything didn't happen the way I thought it should.....but Thundered Mantis is right. The movie is out there for alot of people to see that didn't even know of the movie 6 months ago. I don't have much money but I felt like I would try to do my best to make the film available.....why would I cry about it now? I always said if the movie came up for release that I would step up to the plate....I had said this for 9 years....and I didn't want my word to not be worth a damn when it was put up or shut up.

Hi all,

Is the torrent for Massacre Survivor still active? I would like to see what all the fuss is about!

Thanks

Dan

I was very lucky to pick up a copy at a recent filmfair at a good price.

I was curious to know if the movie was as good as those who had seen it. Shih Szu is one of my fav kungfu females so I was really looking forward to it.

I have to say it delivered with a good story, excellent training scenes and well choreographed fights.

I think this is Shih Szu's best overall performance for a movie. Acting wise you really feel her pain and struggle to train harder and get revenge. I just wish the training scenes were abit longer as they went quite quick!

Fighting wise it was great to see Shih Szu perform all the shapes and forms cos I'm so used to seeing her use a sword. She obviously is doubled for the more acrobatic moves but what she does herself is still very impressive. Showed many kicking combinations which was cool!

I had no problems reading the on screen subs. The most annoying thing about the print was the occassional moment when the picture would skip afew seconds and you would miss any dialogue spoken or fighting during those moments.

It's definitely worth seeing if you can find it.

Fang Shih-yu

Brother falkor, if you're back on these forums, you might want to talk to your critics in this particular thread....

loempiavreter

Is is still possible to get a hold of a copy?

This whole situation reminds all reminds of a certain videogame incident.

The people behind LOST LEVELS recently lost 3000 USD to a scam, they bought this FAMICOM beta called BIO FORCE APE from Japanese YAHOO auctions. The seller didn't provided the beta copy. So those people saw 3000 USD vanishing before their eyes (don't ask me why the can't get the money refunded back, as I only know these details).

It's kinda sad, since Lost Levels was gonna rip it and put the rom up for download if it was real :(

BATTLE AXE 45

What torrent site is this located on .I see other people asking but the ones who know aren't saying anything.

BATTLE AXE 45

Thank you for that info.To all the others who made it possible for this and other movies that might not be seen by the rest of us,you are greatly appreciated.Like someone said earlier in this post if I had the money and the resources I would buy up all the martial art movies on most of these sights thats how much of a fan I am.

Archived