Massacre Survivor for £2000

falkor

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, what's done is done. I was debating uploading it to the Internet Archive.

Toby may own the print, and falkor the dvd-r master, but, if my understanding is correct, in the eyes of the law (U.S., Taiwanese?), it's an orphaned work (especially since they're may really only be one print left and no negative). So the chance of it getting a legit release was really small, especially since the guy that owns the print and was releasing the commercial dvds decided to call it a day (Toby was the one doing Rarescope, right)?

What's done is done. People got their money and other people got their movie. I'm still waiting for my other, NTSC copy, though.

with respect to those involved, i am going to try to work on this print, and add custom removable subtitles within the month.

with respect to those involved, who released Showdown at cotton mill..; if there is no objection i would prefer to upload my

version for the fans of kungfumovies. however, i will not be uploading it to that site... this way anyone can get a copy and

save anyone the time to send it around through the mail. two birds with one stone. if someone where to upload it there

it would be beyond me to care enough to feel offense. i just do not feel like uploading it there. the last time i did i felt

it was kind of like showboating my work. i was proud.., but im not like that anymore.. i desire to lose all my pride.

kungfusamurai
with respect to those involved, i am going to try to work on this print, and add custom removable subtitles within the month.

with respect to those involved, who released Showdown at cotton mill..; if there is no objection i would prefer to upload my

version for the fans of kungfumovies. however, i will not be uploading it to that site... this way anyone can get a copy and

save anyone the time to send it around through the mail. two birds with one stone. if someone where to upload it there

it would be beyond me to care enough to feel offense. i just do not feel like uploading it there. the last time i did i felt

it was kind of like showboating my work. i was proud.., but im not like that anymore.. i desire to lose all my pride.

That sounds like a cool idea. I would suggest watermarking it or doing something with it in case you decide at a later time to offer for sale yourself. I remember with one major company's screening copy, they'd turn a movie into black and white for a minute or so every half hour.

KFS

A quote from one of the contributers who has visited the site where I've uploaded it:

I think many of the contributors, including myself, saw this as a donation and nothing more. It was at our "discretion" to each do what we wanted with the copy we paid for. I can understand if someone wanted to trade the movie for other rare titles they wouldn't get otherwise, but no one spoke up (right?) on this issue before we went ahead with the payment. Most of the people discussing this and/or complaining were not actual contributors, at least so far.

Its actually really nice to see so many people getting in on this title! Sounds like some of you knew the film too. The more people who enjoy seeing this, the better the money was spent.

I am definitely in on future deals like this, we just need to work out several steps in the process... Remember it was a first time thing; there will be more communication next time.

Last edited by eknutsen at 2010-04-06 11:36:37 GMT

Must admit that I'm pretty disappointed to see it uploaded so soon. I can't talk really, as I've shared stuff in the past, but I was really really hoping that it'd stay out of the torrent scene for at least a few months togive some of the contributors a chance to use this film as a leverage tool to get more rare stuff out of hoarders hands! Oh well, that ain't gonna happen now. And I don't think that there'll be as much support for the next project. And I didn't notice Massacre Survivor for sale at £5 on the screening night! Ouch to those who saved up!

On the plus side, at least this film has been saved, and fingers crossed we can get some other super rare films saved by working together. Just a shame that this project has upset some people, and made others gloat in their faces.

prinnysquad

I think that's the only thing that would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Not that the community is getting access to a rare - that's the point, and genuine fans downloading it will be loving it. Rather, the bad taste comes from fat arsed do-nothing tossers gloating and taking the piss out of people for getting it released. They should shut their gobs and just be thankful they have access to something they wouldn't have otherwise.

Rather, the bad taste comes from fat arsed do-nothing tossers gloating and taking the piss out of people for getting it released. They should shut their gobs and just be thankful they have access to something they wouldn't have otherwise.

I do know that one of them that was taking the piss, got his account disabled on that site. He was taking the mickey out the guys who spent £100 for a movie.

Some people just don't have any appreciation for other peoples contribution or the hard work that was put in. But majority of the guy's there are very appreciative to all guys that made it happen.

prinnysquad

Some people just don't have any appreciation for other peoples contribution or the hard work that was put in. But majority of the guy's there are very appreciative to all guys that made it happen.

That's cool. The community should stick together, which will benefit everyone. It makes you wonder what these naysaying ringpieces get out of taking a rise out of other people's efforts. They've got nothing to gain.

Reel Power Stunts

As I see it, the only people that have any right to complain about "MS" being put on a torrent site are the film's copyright owners. Have you ever spent good money on a DVD of a movie, only for it to show up (for free) on TV the same week (where you could have recorded it for free)? I know I have. Ever bought a bit of Hifi kit in the shops or online only for the price to drop considerably a short while later? That's just how it goes.

The majority of folks who chipped in their hard earned £100 were surely doing it so "Massacre" got a telecine, right - and not so that they alone could own it? I don't remember seeing any discussion that those who chipped in would NOT be allowed to share it.

I am surprised that one of the contributors was so quick to generously share the film online. I was also surprised that a screening was arranged so quickly too - but I guess that was about making some of the outlay back & sharing the film with others.

I've never understood the hoarder mentality. Never will. There's too much hating going on too.

I don't know if it's about hoarding as much as it is fairness. These guys paid 100 pounds for the film, and the same seller sold it to other people for 5 pounds. He charged one group of people 100 pounds per copy and another 5. That's incredible. The seller can lower prices if he wants, but that doesn't engender a sense of trust. I just wanted to add that having on a torrent & the guy who upped it shouldn't feel guilty. This movie will be seen & appreciated by many fans. The original contributors have done fans a HUGE service. They deserve our applause!

venomsfreak
I don't know if it's about hoarding as much as it is fairness. These guys paid 100 pounds for the film, and the same seller sold it to other people for 5 pounds. He charged one group of people 100 pounds per copy and another 5. That's incredible. The seller can lower prices if he wants, but that doesn't engender a sense of trust.

I agree Haz.

kungfusamurai
I don't know if it's about hoarding as much as it is fairness. These guys paid 100 pounds for the film, and the same seller sold it to other people for 5 pounds. He charged one group of people 100 pounds per copy and another 5. That's incredible. The seller can lower prices if he wants, but that doesn't engender a sense of trust.

Exactly. I didn't want to be accused of being a naysayer or trying to scuttle saving a rare film if I voiced concerns about where this would be heading. But everyone is mature enough here to make up their minds. I just hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

As to whether this film was being genuinely saved (or in danger of being lost), that's probably another debate altogether. I'm sure any 'hoarder' would be glad to part with a rare film for the right price.

KFS

Reel Power Stunts

"I don't know if it's about hoarding as much as it is fairness" - HAZ

hi Haz, Sorry if it seemed I was saying this issue is just about hoarders. I wasn't.

I can understand ppl feeling upset for paying £100 only for the film to be avail at £5 or free very soon after, but that's they way things go with products. Surely a person would have to be naive to think it wouldn't be avail for less or free eventually. I thought the £100 thing was about paying to get a rare telecined.

I find it mildly amusing that some of the persons who are upset at the upload knew where to find it. Does that mean that there are folks who are happy to illegally download certain copyrighted titles, but don't want "Massacre" avail to the masses?

If the folks who paid £100 are upset at the upload (or £5 sale), then let's spare a thought for the film investors who see their movies available to download for free within days of cinema release (sometimes sooner).

odioustrident

As to whether this film was being genuinely saved (or in danger of being lost), that's probably another debate altogether.

KFS

If I had an actual cause for concern in this whole situation, that would be it. Nonetheless, the people who wanted that period of trading leverage, as wigsplitta put it, deserved to get what they thought they were paying for.

They probably thought it was understood, and maybe that is a reasonable assumption, but next time (?) we need to lay this out clearly.

If/when another one of these deals goes down, everyone involved should come to a solid, stated consensus on how the film should be distributed. If everyone agrees on a timeline and sticks to it (I think they would), then there shouldn't be any issues like this one.

Reel Power Stunts

If/when another one of these deals goes down, everyone involved should come to a solid, stated consensus on how the film should be distributed. If everyone agrees on a timeline and sticks to it (I think they would), then there shouldn't be any issues like this one.

Very well put. Makes a lot of sense to me. When things are spelled out clearly from the start, people know what the deal is.

The 5 dollar thing surprises me, not the torrent. It would have been nice if Falkor or one of the 18 would have been given the chance to up it on a torrent, with the story posted of how the film came to be & giving thanks to all the people who made it possible. At least their DL ratios deserve to be benifit. Credit is due to the people who paid to make this happen. They deserve their time to shine. Falkor made such a fuss about the 18 who donated & called them heroes of Fu Flicks. It's too bad that they weren't given a chance to take a bow when the film was offered up. I'm downloading it. Sharing films is cool. Charging someone 100 pounds & other people 5 boggles my mind, especially when it was the original seller who's doing it.

The 5 dollar thing surprises me, not the torrent. It would have been nice if Falkor or one of the 18 would have been given the chance to up it on a torrent, with the story posted of how the film came to be & giving thanks to all the people who made it possible. At least their DL ratios deserve to be benifit. Credit is due to the people who paid to make this happen. They deserve their time to shine. Falkor made such a fuss about the 18 who donated & called them heroes of Fu Flicks. It's too bad that they weren't given a chance to take a bow when the film was offered up. I'm downloading it. Sharing films is cool. Charging someone 100 pounds & other people 5 boggles my mind, especially when it was the original seller who's doing it.

I myself did try to give a brief info on how the film came to be and did Thank all that were involved in securing it, the only thing I didn't know the names of all the contributors so it wasn't mentioned, But I tried my best in letting people know about the story behind it. I'm sure you have seen it in the uploaders comments, but I do understand what you mean.

I myself did try to give a brief info on how the film came to be and did Thank all that were involved in securing it, the only thing I didn't know the names of all the contributors so it wasn't mentioned, But I tried my best in letting people know about the story behind it. I'm sure you have seen it in the uploaders comments, but I do understand what you mean.

What you did was cool - sharing movies, especially rare movies is great. I don't think this will get bootlegged for sale because the quality is a tad on the rough side. Your menu looks pretty nice. It's not your fault you bought a movie for 5 pounds. I would have bought a copy, too. I think we all would have! The original seller should have used a bit more discression, though, especially when he knew exactly how much other people paid for the film. If you search through this thread, you'll find the usernames of people who contributed. It would be classy if the mods at the other site give those people a ratio bump, too.

To add - Let's not forget what the people who paid for the telecine did. Their names should still be celebrated on this site. They saved movie from sitting in a storeroom & gathering dust, and brought it to the fans. That's pretty epic in regards to our hobby & favorite passtime!

prinnysquad
Exactly. I didn't want to be accused of being a naysayer or trying to scuttle saving a rare film if I voiced concerns about where this would be heading. But everyone is mature enough here to make up their minds. I just hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

KFS

Just want to clarify something here because this seems linked to one of my posts. I'm not in any way offended by, or would have a go at, someone trying to iron out issues before a deal. You're quite right about your concerns. The target of my contempt is the very few who are cussing the original contributors, inferring they're a bunch of suckers and getting a kick out it, which I think is a total lack of respect for the community. I think every contributor knew it would get put on a torrent site, and I'm pleased that so many others will get to see it, because I don't agree with hoarding either.

To add - Let's not forget what the people who paid for the telecine did. Their names should still be celebrated on this site. They saved movie from sitting in a storeroom & gathering dust, and brought it to the fans. That's pretty epic in regards to our hobby & favorite passtime!

I totally agree. Thanks bro, I managed to find the names of the contributors, and have added it to the torrent comments & notes. There names definitely deserve to be mentioned, After all they are the one's responsible for it being available to all us lover's of this genre. Thanks guy's.

Cheers

Akuma

Guest Markgway

I think the original investors deserve enormous credit for putting their money into saving a rare film. I also think it's an insult to them to sell the very same disc for £5 before some of those investors even received their copies. As Haz said: It's very disingenuous to charge one group of fans £100 and another group £5 and all they get is the exact same thing. I'm not a hoarder - anyone who knows my posts knows that - but I do think the investors have a right to feel cheated. The impression was given that these noble investors would be saving a rare film (which they did) and that they would have the privilage of savouring it (a least for a little while...) before it entered the public domain. You would have to be an incredible altruist to not be bothered that everyone now has immediate access to a work that you paid a large amount for just weeks ago. I think this sort of thing creates a real sense of mistrust in the community. I don't have enough spare cash flow to invest in the movies but if I did I'd think twice next time and just wait for the download. Let some other "mug" take the hit. Is that the message that's been sent out? I'm glad that Massacre Survivor is now there for all - but the whole business of the how and the when surely leaves a nasty taste in the mouth?

lightning hopkins
These guys paid 100 pounds for the film, and the same seller sold it to other people for 5 pounds. He charged one group of people 100 pounds per copy and another 5. That's incredible. The seller can lower prices if he wants, but that doesn't engender a sense of trust.

Not trying to stir the pot, but in the interest of clarity....is the "seller" in question here Toby Russell himself in both cases?

Archived