Kuo Chui Interview From '95

BaronK

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have that magazine..if any of you wonder who that Rainer is who asks about Kuo Chuis car he is(or was at least back then when interview was made) german kung-fu movie addict....

I'd read that one before, thanks for reminding me of it! It's funny what he says about a remake of Five Venoms, cause it seems they wound up following what he said. I wish that footage from Police Story III was out there. That would be great to see.

"We could do two man fighting routines with over two hundred moves in them."

Wow that's crazy, but I believe it.

There's also a Lo Meng interview from 99 on that site.

Er, not so fast. Things were changing around '82-'83. CC had his new team with Cheng Tien Chi, Chao Kuo and Chu Ko. When KC came back to Shaw, t was not as a star. He did only bit stuff. No fighting and a bit part in Crazy Shaolin Disciples. Bit part in The Enchantress. Goofy part in Demon of the Lute. AD and a part in Holy Flame of the Martial World. Then a bit choreographer for TVB.

CC left after Weird Man in '83 and all of his background boys went to do the same background bit work for others. Chao Kuo went on to do a part in Usurpers of Emperor's Power but that was it for him in HK.

I don't see where CS would have done much at all different from the others had he gone back. Taiwan was Taiwanese friendly, so you either went back or stayed in the first place.

Oh man I agree with you Asmo...where oh where is that footage from POLICE STORY 3.

Probably lost in the Golden Harvest vaults, unless it never got there in the first place. I'll bet Jackie has a copy, of course.

thanks a lot for the links BaronK, the Kuo Chui interview is really interesting (especially when he mentions those proposed fights with JC for police story 3). BTW has anyone read the Robert Tai interview? If not, go read it NOW! It's even better. Here's a few of my favourite parts from it :

"The film was a hit so Mona Fong wanted more of the same, so we gave her Kid With the Golden Arm, Crippled Avengers, Invincible Shaolin and so on. Our films were doing really well and this upset director Liu Chia Liang who was getting some flack from Run Run and Mona Fong, saying look these Taiwanese are churning out three good pictures to your one. I remember one night I got back to the dormitory -- I had just got out the taxi when I heard a voice . . . 'Hey Shao Tai' [Robert Tai's Chinese nickname].

It was Wilson Tong with Wong Yue and Liu Chia Liang. They had come to tell me to get out of town and they were brandishing knives. I told them that they could beat the crap out of me but there's no way I'm leaving on your say so. We talked and argued for a while -- finally nothing happened; I think they were a little worse from drinking. I was gutted since Liu Chia Liang is one of the best directors of the genre and I really respected him."

"Another time we had some grief at the studio was when some gangsters came looking for Lee Yi Min. We were shooting Heaven and Hell when someone came running in -- 'It's bad, there's a load of thugs outside the main gate looking for Lee Yi Min.' Well if you know Lee Yi Min, you know he isn't the bravest guy, but a playboy he is, and he loves screwing other people's wives. Well, he had screwed the big gang boss' wife and they were out for revenge."

"I told him that I would take care of it. I marched off to the front gate alone. I told the men there that I brought Lee Yi Min to Hong Kong and he is my responsibility, there is no way you can harm him -- I will take his just punishment. The mob boss was angry but respected my balls and pardoned me, but I had to treat him and his men when they visited Taiwan, which they did."

....LOL.

I've always liked that guy (Robert Tai), i remember watching a video interview of him quite a few years back, where he spent most of the time dissing Ching Siu Tung for various reasons...lol.

^I love venom movies even more than my mother:tongue: but it`s indeed true they were made at rapid-fire speed...and often only few locations and actors used.Very low budget which surely pleased executives at Shaws...

but martial abilities of actors+some interesting scripts made them best kung-fu movies IMO

TibetanWhiteCrane

Robert Tai is entertaining for sure. But I think most of what he says, should be taken with a grain of salt. He's a bit...... eeeh, shall we say eccentric!

Robert Tai is entertaining for sure. But I think most of what he says, should be taken with a grain of salt. He's a bit...... eeeh, shall we say eccentric!

Good point.

It`s loss he often stayed behind camera/choreographer as Incredible Kung Fu Mission proved he can kick with/at best easily.

Archived