Japanese Unsubbed Treasures!

HAZ

Hi Guys,

I've been off the case for this because I've been busy filddling around with 35mm prints. The learning curve on 35mm is something else. I have had a chance recently to try the timings again & I've been getting closer. Now, I'm only a fraction of a second off. I feel I will get it soon.

Thanks!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great HAZ. :bigsmile: I was affraid this was gonna turn out to be a fruitless endeavor. Anyway, keep up the great work and keep us posted!

Sent you a PM Haz, Re: Great Chase. If you want some titles off my list let me know. Thank you.

Hi

Just to let people know - I pretty much finished all of Great Chase, except for a couple lines. I couldn't get the subs on the DVD, though. The timings get messed up. For Maki, I've done about half the film. For Wolfman Enraged, I have the translation, but haven't done any timings. I also have custom subs for two Chinese mainland films, and might do that TV broadcast with Chiba & Miao, but I'm only able to time to AVI's. The dvd timings & authoring have elduded me :( People have asked me to give them the subs & they will author the DVD's, but I'm not interested in that because of the cost I paid to have the translations done. The translations are very thourough - I even had the commercials on th TV broadcast of Wolfman translated. I'd love to do more mainland films, but I can't get the subs on the dvd. Recently, I've dedicated more efforts in tracking down 35mm prints of rare & unreleased films.

People have asked me to give them the subs & they will author the DVD's, but I'm not interested in that because of the cost I paid to have the translations done.

I don't fully understand; are you afraid of them getting onto torrent sites? I know how to get the subs onto the dvd with timing intact - even though there are seconds of difference. I'd never upload your translations to torrent sites.

I don't fully understand; are you afraid of them getting onto torrent sites? I know how to get the subs onto the dvd with timing intact - even though there are seconds of difference. I'd never upload your translations to torrent sites.

I spent a few hundred dollars on the translations. I wanted to sell the dvd-r's at a couple bucks a piece to recoup some of that cash, but people have asked me for the subs for free. I'd sell the subs & the scripts, no problem, but I won't give them away for free. They cost to much to do. Breaking even is cool, losing a chunk of cash, not so much. If it got on a torrent, that would be out of my hands. Torrents are cool, & I would upload one of the customs myself if I could get the subtitle timing to work. I had a translation of Katsu's Man without a Map done to upload to a torrent, but I can't get the timings to work. I've had offers of people to author the dvd's, but when I ask them how to do it, they won't tell me. Technical advice would be amazing.

I'd sell the subs & the scripts, no problem,

:bigsmile: PM coming your way buddy....

It's awesome news about the other projects that you've got on the go too. It really is so nice to hear that some films that are really loved by me, now have some subtitles in the works.

Technical advice would be amazing.

Well, you just need to follow my advice. First, create an AVI of the movie (I know you know how to do this) and time your subtitles acordingly. Now at this point, your AVI may be slightly different runtime to your DVD - don't worry, that can be fixed. I'll assume you've timed your subs to your AVI, and it doesn't match the runtime of your DVD. Simply open subtitle workshop, load your SRT, go to edit>timings>adjust>adjust subtitles. Here you can set the start and finish time of your subtitles. Now, here's the very important bit, open your DVD in a media player and go to where the first subtitle line will appear. Write down the exact time code, like 00:01:23,244. Enter this number into subtitle workshop as the start time of your subs. Next, on your DVD, go to where the last subtitle will appear on your DVD, again write the exact timecode and enter it into subtitle workshop as your end subtitle time. Now, simply press the adjust! button and save your SRT somewhere you can find it. Subtitle workshop will adjust all your subtitles just like tugging a piece of string, so now your SRT will be timed to your DVD, and not your AVI. Once your SRT is finished, here's a good guide on how to add subs to a DVD. Best of luck HAZ!!!

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/163978-How-To-Add-Subtitles-to-a-DVD-%28THE-COMPLETE-WORKING-GUIDE%29

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks for helping Haz out Kaleyboy (you too Wigsplitta). Hopefully he can finish them now.

I understand where he's coming from with wanting to get compensated for the translation costs, and I've been trying not to bug him about finishing these, but... My inner geek (which is mostly outer) is simply screaming out to see these movies! :bigsmile:

Damn, I sure am glad I sent you WOLFGUY Haz! :nerd: I had no idea you'd started that one too!:smile:

Hmmmm....I think we know who can help make some custom DVD covers for the Subbed treasures we are finally going to get!! :tongue: Cough cough....Kung Fu Bob....cough cough!! :wink:

I look forward to hearing how the progress keeps going.

Thanks for helping Haz out Kaleyboy (you too Wigsplitta). Hopefully he can finish them now.

I understand where he's coming from with wanting to get compensated for the translation costs, and I've been trying not to bug him about finishing these, but... My inner geek (which is mostly outer) is simply screaming out to see these movies! :bigsmile:

Damn, I sure am glad I sent you WOLFGUY Haz! :nerd: I had no idea you'd started that one too!:smile:

Yep, I also would just like to see these available. I'm totally fine with HAZ making a few bucks; anyone who goes to this much trouble and expense to obtain translations deserves some recompence. Let me know if I can help any further, HAZ.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hmmmm....I think we know who can help make some custom DVD covers for the Subbed treasures we are finally going to get!! :tongue: Cough cough....Kung Fu Bob....cough cough!! :wink:

I look forward to hearing how the progress keeps going.

I already made a double-sided custom DVD cover (to be used in a clear case) for WOLFGUY: ENRAGED WOLFMAN, and I'll happily post the cover for everyone. Wigsplitta created cool covers for a few of the others Haz is working on. I'm sure he'd post those too.

Hi,

People's enthusiasim has got me excited about this again. I will try to get these things timed properly with kaley's advice. I have one of the Stray Cat Rock films, and two more films which I am keeping under wraps right now being subbed. Watching the subbed AVI is not as cool as having a subbed DVD.

I'll say this - The Great Chase subbed is better than Maki, IMO. Wolfguy is pretty bizzare. Man without a Map is classic Katsu. And the next films I'm doing should be pretty epic! If only I can make a DVD out of them...

I already made a double-sided custom DVD cover (to be used in a clear case) for WOLFGUY: ENRAGED WOLFMAN, and I'll happily post the cover for everyone. Wigsplitta created cool covers for a few of the others Haz is working on. I'm sure he'd post those too.

Yeah you did.....I should have remembered that. :angel: Guess I took it for granted based on how cool it was thinking it was from a DVD company!!

I have seen Wigsplitta's covers as well.....totally awesome stuff!!

Just happy to get these treasures subed!!

HAZ please keep us up to date...thanks man, keep up the good work!!

I got about 40 minutes into Maki. Going to make a big push this week!

I just noticed that they used many of the same sets in Maki that they did in the Great Chase.

I know I'm late to the party but sign me up too :bigsmile:

You can never be too late to join this party! :xd:

I just noticed that they used many of the same sets in Maki that they did in the Great Chase.

That is really cool news that you're getting back into it. Both The Great Chase and Maki got released in the same year 1975 - looks like Maki on 1st March and The Great Chase on 26th April, so they were most likely filmed on the same sets indeed. They've still got quite a different feel too them though, and most importantly, they've both got Shihomi wielding the Chuckz! :bigsmile:

Kudos to you, Haz, for continuing with Great Chase and Maki.

BTW, Wolfman Enraged appears to have already been subbed - here's a link to the DVD-R:

http://www.cinema-de-bizarre.com/catalog/item/4801996/7975284.htm

EDIT: Shall I purchase a copy and pass it along to anyone who wishes to view it?

That's interesting. Maybe there's a print with burned in subs? I wonder if that site does custom translations?

That's interesting. Maybe there's a print with burned in subs? I wonder if that site does custom translations?

I'm not sure, Haz - I could email him if you like?

I did read, in passing recently, that there is another forum/site that does custom subtitle jobs for Japanese films - the name of which escapes me, unfortunately.

Hey, competition!! :tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Just to let people know - I pretty much finished all of Great Chase, except for a couple lines.

Let the cheering begin! :bigsmile:GREAT CHASE is a cool little action flick with lots of karate action.

For Maki, I've done about half the film.

13 STEPS MAKI may be my favorite Shihomi film- despite only having seen it without subs! Great movie. :nerd: Can't wait to see this subbed Haz. Thanks man.

The translations are very thourough - I even had the commercials on th TV broadcast of Wolfman translated.

That's cool! The commercials all looked pretty wacky. It'll add to that "Grindhouse" feel to watching the movie. That's one of the reasons I didn't edit them out, but I never suspected you'd sub them. :bigsmile:

Hi,

People's enthusiasim has got me excited about this again.

Well then, if it helps, my enthusiasm for this project goes up to "11". :angel:

I'll say this - The Great Chase subbed is better than Maki, IMO. Wolfguy is pretty bizzare. Man without a Map is classic Katsu. And the next films I'm doing should be pretty epic! If only I can make a DVD out of them...

Can a person drown from their mouth watering too much? :tongue:

Yeah you did.....I should have remembered that. :angel:

Yeah, you should have. What the Hell Gorhama? :ooh:

Guess I took it for granted based on how cool it was thinking it was from a DVD company!!

Oh? Okay... that'll work for me. :xd: LOL

I have seen Wigsplitta's covers as well.....totally awesome stuff!!

Yes, awesome! :nerd:

I know I'm late to the party but sign me up too :bigsmile:

You can't be late to a party of movie coolness! :xd:

Yeeeeesssssssssss... :nerd:

That is really cool news that you're getting back into it. Both The Great Chase and Maki got released in the same year 1975 - looks like Maki on 1st March and The Great Chase on 26th April, so they were most likely filmed on the same sets indeed.

"Mop up the blood. Carry away the bizarrely dressed henchmen. Okay... next movie. And... 'action'!"

They've still got quite a different feel too them though, and most importantly, they've both got Shihomi wielding the Chuckz! :bigsmile:

Couldn't agree more, on both counts.

Kudos to you, Haz, for continuing with Great Chase and Maki.

BTW, Wolfman Enraged appears to have already been subbed - here's a link to the DVD-R:

http://www.cinema-de-bizarre.com/catalog/item/4801996/7975284.htm

Ya... huh... what?! :smile:

EDIT: Shall I purchase a copy and pass it along to anyone who wishes to view it?

Karlos, who died and left you boss of generous coolness? :bigsmile:

After seeing your post, I called a trading buddy that owes me a film and said "Got one!" He's already ordered it for me. I'll let you guys know if the subs are any good as soon as I get it. Though I suspect from his posts and our talks that it would be difficult to be more thorough on this than Haz.

Karlos, who died and left you boss of generous coolness? :bigsmile:

After seeing your post, I called a trading buddy that owes me a film and said "Got one!" He's already ordered it for me. I'll let you guys know if the subs are any good as soon as I get it. Though I suspect from his posts and our talks that it would be difficult to be more thorough on this than Haz.

Ah man, I only lasted an hour or so as the king of generous coolness...and then you came along, Bob!! :wink:

That's awesome news and I can't wait to see Wolfguy Enraged with subs!!

I just hope knowing exactly what's going on doesn't lessen the impact of this truly magnificently nuts flick!!

Ok and Bob wins for most quotes in his post!! :tongue:

Glad to see this thread picking up steam again!!

Karlos I can't imagine the subs taking anythign away from this flick!!! It's Chiba-san.......SUBS or NO it's all good!! :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

That's awesome news and I can't wait to see Wolfguy Enraged with subs!!

I just hope knowing exactly what's going on doesn't lessen the impact of this truly magnificently nuts flick!!

Karlos I can't imagine the subs taking anythign away from this flick!!! It's Chiba-san.......SUBS or NO it's all good!! :wink:

Nothing can ruin this film. I watched a 10th generation, full-screen, Japanese audio copy, with no subtitles and still loved it.

For the uninitiated, if Chiba-san as a guy with "wolf's blood" isn't enough to peak your interest, try this - I've got two words for you... "invisible tiger"! :nerd: Oh yeah! :xd:

Archived