Japanese Unsubbed Treasures!

HAZ

• Administrator
I have to say, it's great to see the Japanese making martial arts films again. Between these 2 and the excellent KURO-OBI (Black Belt), the Budo arts are being well represented.

I'll second that! More, more, more please! :nerd:

Haven't seen those two you asked about.

The covers remind me a LOT of the 2 ZA KAKUTO OH movies from 1994 starring Kane Kosugi.

I'd also love to see those subtitled. Part 1 co-stars Yasuaki Kurata (the man's in everything! :smile:) and Simon Rhee, and features a cameo by 1970s Japanese Karate movie mainstay Masashi Ishibashi. A good portion of these 2 movies are in English so there wouldn't be as much dialogue to translate as some others.

I just got part 1 of this, I think it's called THE FIGHTING KING? I only picked it up because I wanted to see Kane Kosugi doing something other than being wasted in bit parts in US films. But when I skipped in a few chapters to check the quality and saw Kurata, I was very pumped about watching it. Now you say Simon and "Junjo" are in there too?! Right on. :bigsmile:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got part 1 of this, I think it's called THE FIGHTING KING? I only picked it up because I wanted to see Kane Kosugi doing something other than being wasted in bit parts in US films. But when I skipped in a few chapters to check the quality and saw Kurata, I was very pumped about watching it. Now you say Simon and "Junjo" are in there too?! Right on. :bigsmile:

Yep, "The Fighting King" is the international English title (and the literal translation as well). And yep "Junjo" is in there. He's the tournament referee. The other fighters in the film include Kung Fu expert Lee Chi-Ming, Pan-American Tang Soo Do Champion Scott Harmon, former American Gladiator Michael Horton, and ex Japanese Wrestler Kendo Nagasaki (aka Mr. Sakurada). The film also features veteran Japanese actors Hiroshi Miyauchi as Kane's father, Shinzo Hotta as the White Dragon Boss, and Hideyo Amamoto (aka Eisei Amamoto) as the Old Okinawan Man who trains Kane. And of course Kane's father Sho Kosugi directed the movie and its sequel.

The sequel features martial artist Vernon Rieta. Also co-starring is Kojiro Shimizu, who appeared with Kane and Sho in the 1993 Taiga Drama Ryukyu no Kaze (Dragon Spirit) and also competed against Kane in the yearly Muscle Ranking Muscular Athlete Tournaments.

Alright, having some problems with my subbing & thought I'd ask for some help. I ripped an AVI of The Great Chase & timed my subs to it. It was perfect! Everything was going well & I then added my subs to the DVD. It looked okay at first, but, as the movie played, the subs drifted out of sync. The closer I got to the end of the film, the worse it got. Then I noticed that the AVI was 5 seconds longer than the DVD I ripped. I tried re-ripping, but the AVI is always longer. This is so frustrating. The subs look great & the translation is excellent, but I can't sync it to the DVD - any advice?

Thanks!!

h

It would be great if we could sub both Ju-Jitsu and Za Kakuto Oh.

Here's a great clip of Kane and Kurata from the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbwu9NTN99w

On another note, here are the only images I've run across from the the Fight! Dragon Japanese set so far. Actually, the second pic looks more like a promo poster, but I think the first is one of the individual covers. Finding anything from the "inside" of that set is like pulling eye teeth.:tongue:

p1.jpg

8c.jpg

It would be great if we could sub both Ju-Jitsu and Za Kakuto Oh.

Here's a great clip of Kane and Kurata from the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbwu9NTN99w

Indeed! And on that note, I just heard from a friend of mine and he said that Merlin at Samurai DVD is going to subtitle JIU-JITSU! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

So maybe instead of JIU-JITSU we could subtitle KYOKUTO KUROSHAKAI.

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZhMMsfDtU

Indeed! And on that note, I just heard from a friend of mine and he said that Merlin at Samurai DVD is going to subtitle JIU-JITSU! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

That is indeed awesome news, keep your ear to the ground for more info.:bigsmile:

So maybe instead of JIU-JITSU we could subtitle KYOKUTO KUROSHAKAI.

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZhMMsfDtU

I'd go for subbing Kyokuto Kuroshakai. It's kind of odd to see Sho Kosugi in a really "physical" fight. I guess I'm just too used to his ninja films from the 80s.:nerd:

Working on subs for 13 steps maki right now, but timing the subs is proving to be impossible. All suggested methods have failed miserably.

Working on subs for 13 steps maki right now, but timing the subs is proving to be impossible. All suggested methods have failed miserably.

Whoa! Working on 13 Steps too?

Or was that just a typo, and you're still having issues with The Great Chase and its mystery 4 seconds?

I'll keep trying to find a program that can get the DVD and the rip to have the same runtime.

Fingers crossed.

It's such a pain when something so (sort of) simple suddenly becomes really damn tricky for no logical reasoning! :cry:

Whoa! Working on 13 Steps too?

Or was that just a typo, and you're still having issues with The Great Chase and its mystery 4 seconds?

I'll keep trying to find a program that can get the DVD and the rip to have the same runtime.

Fingers crossed.

It's such a pain when something so (sort of) simple suddenly becomes really damn tricky for no logical reasoning! :cry:

Yup, got Maki in the pipeline. I figure if I can't get a working DVD, then at least I can have an AVI & an SRT. I also have The Man Without A Map w/ Shintaro Katsu coming up.

• Administrator

Whoah! Chiba-san and Kurata-san starring in a TV series?! :ooh: Never even heard of this one. Steep price though. I wonder how much I can get for a "used wife" on eBay? :xd: Kidding!

I think this is a very early Chiba-San show called Kurayami Go-Dan - Trans. as 5th Level Darkness, where he played a blind Judo master.

It sure is pricey, Bob, you're right.

The Key Hunter set was similarly prohibitively priced - and that wasn't even the full show, just selected episodes!!

Hey, anyone wanna chip in and help out 2 Chiba fans?? :tongue:

I think this is a very early Chiba-San show called Kurayami Go-Dan - Trans. as 5th Level Darkness, where he played a blind Judo master.

Actually KURAYAMI GO-DAN is a different and earlier series from 1965-1966 which Chiba-san starred in.

This one is called JUDO ICCHOKUSEN - Trans. as "Judo Straight Line". It ran for 92 half-hour episodes from 1969/06/22 to 1971/04/04. And if the Japanese TV Drama Database (http://www.tvdrama-db.com/drama_info/p/id-11588) is correct, then Chiba-san only appeared in 3 episodes (41, 45, 68) and Kurata-san only appeared in 2 episodes (76, 77).

Still would love to see this series though.

Thanks for the info, Chanbara!

Only three episodes of my man, Chiba-San?

I think I'll save my cash!!

:smile:

Wow even more Chiba-san goodness.

Still seeing him in 3 episodes would be super cool.....but again hard to justify spending the cash on that when we have other Japanesse treasures that will be subtitled soon!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Wow even more Chiba-san goodness.

Still seeing him in 3 episodes would be super cool.....but again hard to justify spending the cash on that when we have other Japanesse treasures that will be subtitled soon!!

Yeah, just to see the three with Chiba-san and the two with Kurata-san it would cost (including shipping) in the neighborhood of $70.00 per episode!!! And they're half hour episodes? After commercial time, they're probably around 25 minutes a piece... $2.80 a minute! Geez, I love Sonny's work, but... :ooh:

I found these pictures and a synopsis of the movie while looking in the archive of this blog i read by Patrick Macias (well-known author on Japanese Film and culture). And cuz, judging from the insanely brilliant poster art and the film screens, it looks kinda crazy (...in the Classic Toei/Chiba-san way...lol) i wondered whether anyone thinks it's worth subbing or if there's even a decent un-subbed print available out there to use??

"Wolfguy -- Enraged Wolfman - 1975 - Sonny Chiba"

6a00d8341bfb8d53ef011570c64182970b-pi

"The incredible Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba is WOLFGUY, the only survivor of a clan of rural werewolves who relies on his feral, full-moon-activated superpowers to solve mysterious crimes. Horror, SF, and Action collide when a bizarre and bloody death in the Tokyo streets plunges Wolfguy into a far-reaching conspiracy populated by crooked politicians, naked white women, bit-players like Hideo Murota, a phantom tiger, and -- best of all -- a shadowy organization (called the J-CIA) out to steal the secret of Wolfguy's powers and the blood right out of his veins. Based on the novels and manga by Kazumasa Hirai, who also gave the world ADULT WOLFGUY. Directed by Toei action great Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Sister Streetfighter, Karate Bullfighter)."

6a00d8341bfb8d53ef01156fd16174970c-pi

6a00d8341bfb8d53ef01156fd166fd970c-pi

6a00d8341bfb8d53ef011570c6485d970b-pi

6a00d8341bfb8d53ef01156fd16801970c-pi

6a00d8341bfb8d53ef011570c64935970b-pi

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I found these pictures and a synopsis of the movie while looking in the archive of this blog i read by Patrick Macias (well-known author on Japanese Film and culture). And cuz, judging from the insanely brilliant poster art and the film screens, it looks kinda crazy (...in the Classic Toei/Chiba-san way...lol) i wondered whether anyone thinks it's worth subbing or if there's even a decent un-subbed print available out there to use??

First of all, I'm a big fan of Pat's work too! His blog "An Eternal Thought In The Mind Of Godzilla" is always fun to check out.

I've already sent Haz a good looking print (sadly, full-screen) of this months ago in hopes that he would subtitle it. No luck yet.

But as far as the film goes- even without subs I've watched it quite a few times and I love it! :bigsmile:

I spoke to Haz on another site awhile back (ADC), and he was having some timing problems. Haz, if it's still that the AVI is too short, I can fix that one in the SRT after the timing is done, even when using a short AVI. Let me know if I can help.

First of all, I'm a big fan of Pat's work too! His blog "An Eternal Thought In The Mind Of Godzilla" is always fun to check out.

Yeah.....so am i, his book on cult Japanese cinema (TOKYOSCOPE) is great. I've read it loads of times.

I've already sent Haz a good looking print (sadly, full-screen) of this months ago in hopes that he would subtitle it. No luck yet.

But as far as the film goes- even without subs I've watched it quite a few times and I love it! :bigsmile

From the look of the poster art/screens and from what you're saying after having watched it un-subbed, im even more desperate to watch it subbed now lol. Hopefully Haz will get around to it once he sorts out the timing problems he's having with the other movie he's doing. It also makes me wonder whether the film would've been released by BCI if they didn't go out of business? Does anyone know if Mill Creek will be putting out any un-released Chiba stuff in the future??

Archived