Japanese Unsubbed Treasures!

HAZ

Wow! This thread has picked up! It looks like there is definate interest. I will be meeting with the translator on Monday with the translator. I'll be giving them a copy of The Great Chase. We'll see how this goes. They won't be timing the subs, just giving me a script. The sub timings might be a little tedious, but I think it should be worth it.

Not familar with the Bronson Lee movie. Is there a DVD of it out there?

EDIT - Just met with the translator & gave her the DVD. I will let people know how the translation goes!!!

Thanks!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Wow! This thread has picked up! It looks like there is definate interest. I will be meeting with the translator on Monday with the translator. I'll be giving them a copy of The Great Chase. We'll see how this goes. They won't be timing the subs, just giving me a script. The sub timings might be a little tedious, but I think it should be worth it.

Great to know it's moving along. Pretty exciting!

I agree with the above two choices too. Good calls guys!

Haz, BRONSON LEE; CHAMPION (aka. THE KARATE) is in the same vein as the STREETFIGHTER films, Grindhouse style cheese, and lots of ultra violent, bone snapping, blood spraying karate fights. It stars real life master Tadashi Yamashita, a guy that looks like he possessed or insane when he fights! This movie is a 70's action gem! Surprised you haven't seen it.

Yes there's a DVD of it- no subs.

There are also two equally actio-packed sequels. I think they may only be available as widescreen, subless VHS. I'm not sure.

Hell yeah! I'm liking the sound of things so far!

I would love to see this film get the subtitle treatment:

Wolves, Pigs and Men

Never heard of this film, but if the group gets together for real, then hopefully it'll get some cool subs in the not too distant future :bigsmile:

Drug Connection. It stars Koji Yakusho (best Japanese actor right now?), Mr. Ninja himself, Sho Kosugi and Jimmy *bleeping* Wang Yu.

I've never seen this film, but i'd really like to. That has a great cast! it sounds even better that half the movie is already in English. Reduces the work needed a great deal.:xd:

Not an official DVD, only a VHS rip, but it's pretty decent quality. Leave this one for me to do in my spare time. The only help I'll require is that I seem to remember there being a few ( 2 or 3) minutes of dialogue cut from the American print. Once I get there, I'll give pass on an audio sample to be translated, if that's ok?

EDIT - Just met with the translator & gave her the DVD. I will let people know how the translation goes!!!

WICKED! Cheers HAZ

There are also two equally action-packed sequels. I think they may only be available as widescreen, subless VHS. I'm not sure.

Yes, they are really cool movies, but they are only available as VHS rips. Full W/S but no English subs. :sad:

• Administrator
I have Moeru Yusha unsbbed. Any interest in that one?

That one is okay Haz, but doesn't compare to the other titles we've been talking about, IMO.

I like this thread....it's exciting!!!!!

I'm really looking forward to see how this takes off. It's really cool that there is a a very good chance to finally see many of these movies subtitled so not only can I follow along with the action but I can know what's really being said and not just what I make up for them to say. :tongue:

I totally agree - this is a very inspiring thread indeed!

It'd be awesome to see something so pro-active come from the forum - I'm all for it and wish all those involved the very best of luck!!

:bigsmile:

There are some many classic Japanese Movies/TV series that I would love to see subtitled but there is a lot that does go into this process. That is why I have always supported Merlin & CK and John from Far East Flix's for all there hard work they do and for bringing many of these classic great movies to us fans. These movies unfortunately may never see a legit release in the USA, or overseas. So anytime we can get someone else who wants to try and subtitle movies I'll support them as well.

I'll be giving them a copy of The Great Chase...

... Just met with the translator & gave her the DVD. I will let people know how the translation goes!!!

Woohoo! That's great news. :smile:

Also great to hear that you're gonna do BRONSON LEE: CHAMPION, wigsplitta! :) You did a great job on KARATE WARRIORS and THE BODYGUARD, and I think we along with venom did a good job on DRAGON PRINCESS, so I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

And I agree with Kung Fu Bob about MOERU YUSHA. It'd be nice to get it done, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list.

That is why I have always supported Merlin & CK and John from Far East Flix's for all there hard work they do and for bringing many of these classic great movies to us fans.

Well said. Same here.

Speaking of RAW's:

I've got numerous spindle's of Japanese movies from the TOEI and Chanbara channels in good quality. I haven't done anything with them but watch them and enjoy them. Here's a small list of the ones I know the names of and they are really good:

I know Merlin and Cannibal King as well. I used to be one of the 'daimyo' of www.ninjadojo.com

Nyonin Kagero Gumi

Genji Kuro Sassoki: Hiken Ageha No Cho (Nakamura Kinnosuke)

Kage Gari(Remake TV Special)

Yami O Kiru(1995)

Genji Kuro Sassoki: TV Special

Jirai Hi Gumi Pt 1&2 (Konoe Jushiro classic)

Yojimbo Jitsu Geiso Sho

Futari no Musashi(Great movie about two Musashi's)

Young Shingo Duel Series(great set)

Kengo Tengu Matsuri(real classic)

Yami No Kiru: Oo-Edo Hanka Cho 1&2

Kenshi Okita Soushi(1984)

Araki Mataemon: Ketto Kage No Tsuji(killer)

Yagyu Bugeicho Series w/ Konoe and special with Mifune

Sasaki Kojiro: Zenpen Fuun Osaka Jo(1967)

BakuMatsu

Araki Mataemon TV

Tange Sazen series from 1950's to 60's

Shinsengumi Keppuroku

Kurama Tengu TV series

Araki Mataemon Otoko-Tachi No Syura(1994)

Araki Mataemon: Joiuchi Hairyo Zuma Shinmatsu

Numerous movies from Ichikawa Utaemon such as Drunken Sword

• Administrator
Just a quick update - the DVD is in the hands of the translator. Hope to meet with her tomorrow to see where she's at.

Yeah! Can't wait to hear back about this. :bigsmile:

Just a quick update - the DVD is in the hands of the translator. Hope to meet with her tomorrow to see where she's at.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing how the progress is going.

odioustrident
Well, its looking good! The next step is to time the subs....Stay tuned....

Seeing people donate towards unearthing rares, subbing great films... Things have been getting pretty damn exciting around here (although I'm relatively new to the scene).

Well, its looking good! The next step is to time the subs....Stay tuned....

Hell yeah! Sounding great.It took me about a month and a half to time a full film, although it could've been done a lot quicker if i'd worked on it every day. No rush though. It's been 30+ years, what are another few months!!!!! :wink:

Let us know if ya need any help at all! :bigsmile:

Best thread ever! Count me in to support whatever needs to be done.

I would love to see the entire Abashiri Prison series translated... 11 films!

Funny thing is, my Japanese friend was in the middle of translating The Great Chase as well so we could make a subtitled DVD. It's like HAZ was reading our minds! He's already finished all the Japanese dialogue, was just in the middle of translating to English. He might be willing to do some more DVDs if the price was worth it. Takes quite a while to get an accurate translation.

I'd be into doing the Abashiri Prison series. So far, all of this has been a piece of cake. Got the translation in no time at all. The translator even did special notes to explain cultural references. In the trailer, Shihomi is always refered to as "Ecchan", which is a diminuative of Etsuko. Its so cool to have subs for this & the detail is amazing.

Wow - this is awesome. If the final product is where I think it will be this is the start of something huge.

I have the remastered copies of Brutal Tales of Chivalry Vol 5 & 7 if anyone wants to put those on the list.

Vol 5

Vol 7

Even getting the trailer subbed has been an eye-opener. They bill Sister Street Fighter by a totally different name. The Great Chase is supposed to be dedicated to all the Ecchan fans! They also promote 16 year old Mahha Fumiake. It's pretty cool to see what the captions mean.

Well, I am absolutely blown away by this! I truly expected it to take weeks (maybe even a couple of months) to get the translation completed!!!! This has been done really fast. Great work indeed. This is truly exceeding my hopes!

Thanks for the updates HAZ

As the Asian Hawk says - "Expect the wost, but hope for the best!" :xd:

Wow!! Me too!!

I can't believe how much this project has come on in such a short space of time.

I have some reasonably rare stuff - some Chiba stuff and the 2 Bronson Lee/The Karate sequels spring to mind.

If these are required, please let me know!!

:smile:

Started timing the subs with subtitle workshop, but something doesn't seem right. When I watch the DVD in VLC, the first spoken line is around 4 minute mark. When I watch the AVI in subtitle workshop, the first spoken line appears at around 3 minutes according to the timer. I'm not at home now, but I'm sure I'll get this fixed up today.

Totally awesome news Haz!!! It's so awesome the speed at which this is happening. Nothing like looking forward to watching a movie or TV show and know what is actually being said!! What's even cooler is that it's fans making this happen!!

Keep up the awesome work Haz and anyone else subtitling stuff out there!!

Archived