Japanese Unsubbed Treasures!

HAZ

Hi!

I found a student who is fluent in Japanese to do translations of unsubbed movies. I'm trying to think of things I've been wanting to see with subs. Do the folks here have any suggestions? I'm thinking:

13 Steps Maki with Etsuko Shihomi

The Great Chase - Etsuko Shihomi

The Bodyguard - Chiba

Karate Warriors - Chiba

Playgirl - Japanese TV series from the 60's:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0782508/

Is there anything else people can think of? Daigoro & Bob, I'm sure you know 100,000 films you'd want to see subbed!! :nerd:

Thanks!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Hi!

I found a student who is fluent in Japanese to do translations of unsubbed movies. I'm trying to think of things I've been wanting to see with subs. Do the folks here have any suggestions? I'm thinking:

The Bodyguard - Chiba

Karate Warriors - Chiba

Playgirl - Japanese TV series from the 60's:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0782508/

Is there anything else people can think of? Daigoro & Bob, I'm sure you know 100,000 films you'd want to see subbed!! :nerd:

Thanks!

These TV series:

FIGHT! DRAGON

THE BODYGUARD

BLAZING DRAGNET

These TV series:

FIGHT! DRAGON

THE BODYGUARD

BLAZING DRAGNET

Hi Bob!

Are they all on DVD?

Also - is the a Japanese DVD of Maki? I've seen a AVI of a VHS.

Thanks!

h

I could literally fill this topic with pages.. but I'll start off with one. For now.

okinawaYakuzaWar_JapB2.jpg

The Great Okinawa Yakuza war (1976), dir. Sadao Nakajima

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEQjGio9d3s

This is the non-subtitled Sonny Chiba I've wanted to see the most. According to Chris D's OUTLAW MASTERS OF CINEMA book, in "Sadao Nakajima’s blood-soaked Great Okinawa Yakuza War, Chiba plays an irredeemable psychopath, and emerges as one of his scariest creations in, a disfigured, psychotic karate expert/gangster who owes more than a little to an unrestrained re-imagining of his Streetfighter persona."

Made with a documentary touch, like the Fukasaku yakuza films, this one is about a war in Okinawa between a local gang and an intruding mainland gang, except the Okinawan gang has its own problems to worry about as well.. From what I've been able to gather, all hell breaks loose, and during duration of the film, Chiba gets maimed and addicted-to heroin, making his usual brand Karate-based ass beatings even more f'ed up.

Sign me up. (Also not to be confused with the similar-titled Sonny Chiba movie available at Kurotokagi.)

Thank you for that suggestion Yakuza! I was thinking it might be cool to start a club where we vote on a movie to sub & each chip in to cover the translation costs. If one person supplies the movie, another makes covers, I hook up the subs & DVD. Everyone could chip in something like 5-10 bucks, just enough to cover the costs of the films. Let's see how many people respond & if there is interest. If we could get 15-20 people at 5 bucks each, I think we could make this work. I think its a bit of a pipe dream, though. I don't think many people are into these films - otherwise I guess they would have all been released through a legitimate source. Who knows. Doesn't hurt to try.

For the first one, I think I'm going with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwipZdVyk2M

I have it on hand & it looks pretty wild.

Thanks

h

I could literally fill this topic with pages.. but I'll start off with one. For now.

okinawaYakuzaWar_JapB2.jpg

The poster alone looks awesome. I can't believe Kurotokagi hasn't done this up.

The Bodyguard - Chiba

Karate Warriors - Chiba

Playgirl - Japanese TV series from the 60's

Sorry bud, I've already subbed The Bodyguard and Karate Warriors!!! :xd:

I have to ask, have you been reading my mind??!! All four of those films have been at the top of my "subtitles wanted" list for a long time! Last year I finally decided that this custom subbing malarky can't be too hard! So now......2 down, 2 to go! The Shihomi ones are harder to sub obviously, because there is no english dub version available. I have the original Great Chase DVD, and I have a nice DVD copy of Maki, but that is most likely off tv as I don't think it's had a VHS release, and it certainly hasn't had a DVD release.

Once i'd finished The Bodyguard, I already started plans for Maki as I love it so much! Heck, I even created a cover including reference to English subtiitles! The hard part is finding someone to translate. If you know someone, and even better, if a few people chip in, it could make it a very reasable venture. I'm already in, so the cost is immediatley cut by 50% :bigsmile:

I know of someone that can possibly do a whole movie too. They did the cut scenes from the Bodyguard for me. If your guy falls through, and we have some money, we can try my person.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEQjGio9d3s

Count me in for this one also! :bigsmile:

These TV series:

FIGHT! DRAGON

THE BODYGUARD

BLAZING DRAGNET

Count me in for these too! :bigsmile:

I've never seen any of these series', but Kurata and Chiba make it well worth the time/effort/money!

Lastly, I will add to the list:-

Bronson lee : Champion - Tadashi Yamashita

Moeru Yusha - Hiroyuki Sanada

JAMAL did a brilliant job on Bronson Lee to create a W/S uncut English dub, but I would really like to do a subtitled version too. I've got a jap and a eng print, so I'll probably work on this later in the year. All that is needed are a couple of lines of translation.

I've got a nice original DVD or Moeru Yusha, all it needs is some subs!

Maki cover sample:-

makir.jpg

Maybe we could do something for Moeru Yusha? Do any of your movies have Japanese subtitles? Maybe the translator could work off of the subs to help make things go faster?

I feel like Maki did get a DVD release in Japan. I think I saw it once at cdjapan, but its not there now.

I was thinking of having the translator watch The Bodyguard and Karate Warriors because I was under the impression that these were dubtitles - subs that were based on the Emglish dubbing - and that they might not be an accurate reflection of what's going on.

Maybe we could do something for Moeru Yusha? Do any of your movies have Japanese subtitles?

I feel like Maki did get a DVD release in Japan. I think I saw it once at cdjapan, but its not there now.

I was thinking of having the translator watch The Bodyguard and Karate Warriors because I was under the impression that these were dubtitles - subs that were based on the Emglish dubbing - and that they might not be an accurate reflection of what's going on.

All my DVDs (and I think, pretty much everything released by Toei) don't have any Japanese subtitles which is a shame. So we've only got Japanese audio to work with. :sad:

You're correct about The Bodyguard and Karate Warriors - Both are dubtitles projects, so the subtitles won't fully reflect what's being said, (except for the first few, and last couple of scenes, that were properly translated on The Bodyguard). The Bodyguard blatantly changed the storyline, so the real translation greatly helps with this. I feel that Karate Warriors is ok though. There was nothing that stood out and seemed wrong, like there was in The Bodyguard.

I'd much rather put some time and money into a never before subtitled movie, as there are so many of them, rather than updating subtitles that are already available.

As long as the dubbing team didn't try and change the story, then they have to be basing it on something relating to what is really being said. And with proper translation from 70's Japanese dialect to English is very very hard to get a 100% acurate translation. One of the scenes from the Bodyguard, which was only a few lines, had two Japanese people translating it quite differently! And when the translation has been completed, it has to be played around with so that it sounds ok, otherwise a film could end up with some acurate, but very weird and hard to understand subtitles! :squigglemouth:

And for anyone else - if they have an official release DVD of Maki, please let us know if you want to trade or sell! :xd: I've been searching for this film for many years, and never seen it, and no Japanese site i've ever visited has referenced it as ever being released.

That Maki cover is awesome, BTW!

Thank you! :xd:

Interesting about the Bodyguard; that's on my list, but you're right - other stuff that's never been done should take priority.

I'm surprised there are no japanese subs. You'd think they'd add them for the hearing impared. I'm looking for a very literal translation, just to see what that would be like. Maybe I'll do a couple of subtitle streams - one literal, one with punched up grammar, one in a yellow font, one in white.

What I would like to work on is making the custom menus look better than what you normally see. Kurotokagi does this very well.

105 views & 4 people talking. C'mon out of hiding, folks! lol.

Yeah, come and join in the fun. (Please! :wink:)

Interesting about the Bodyguard; that's on my list, but you're right - other stuff that's never been done should take priority.

I'm surprised there are no japanese subs. You'd think they'd add them for the hearing impared. I'm looking for a very literal translation, just to see what that would be like. Maybe I'll do a couple of subtitle streams - one literal, one with punched up grammar, one in a yellow font, one in white.

What I would like to work on is making the custom menus look better than what you normally see. Kurotokagi does this very well.

Yeah, it's a real shame that they don't include subtitles, it could make our job a bit easier. If there was no other way, we could rip the subs and put them into google or babelfish!!! LOL!!!

It would be great to have custom menus on them too, but theat's way above my skill levels, so i'll leave that to the professionals!!! :wink:

ToothbrushFu

Nope, unfortunately its never had an official DVD release.

odioustrident

I have casually asked a couple of people to try subbing the two sequels to Champion. There are some very good looking w/s VHS (?) prints for both The Karate 2 and 3. I have not had any luck with those requests, but those 2 films would be first on my list. Has anyone found a copy of Wolfguy Enraged yet?

I have casually asked a couple of people to try subbing the two sequels to Champion. There are some very good looking w/s VHS (?) prints for both The Karate 2 and 3. I have not had any luck with those requests, but those 2 films would be first on my list. Has anyone found a copy of Wolfguy Enraged yet?

I agree with ya too. The Karate 2 & 3 would both be very cool to have subtitled.

Wolfguy : Enraged is floating about in a pretty good copy, but again, this has no subtitles, and it is only fullscreen too! :sad:

Now this is my kind of thread! :bigsmile: I'd definitely be interested in joining in on this. All the films and TV series suggested are ones I'd want to see subtitled too.

My vote would be to start with "The Great Chase" since it's readily available on DVD unlike "13 Steps of Maki" (hopefully that'll change soon though). And I was devastated when BCI went belly up before they released "Fight! Dragon", so getting that TV series done would be incredible. I can read kanji so I can help out a bit on translation. Any on-screen writting in Kanji/Kana wouldn't need to be done by the translator, which may or may not mean the translator would charge a bit less. By the way, any idea what the cost would be for the scripts?

After reading this thread...........count me in.

I would love to get some SUBS for

FIGHT! DRAGON. I mean if I can watch it for Kurata kicking ass it would be even better to know what he's saying besides thank you.

• Administrator
Hi Bob!

Are they all on DVD?

h

Not all from official DVD sources, but yes.

This is the non-subtitled Sonny Chiba I've wanted to see the most. According to Chris D's OUTLAW MASTERS OF CINEMA book, in "Sadao Nakajima’s blood-soaked Great Okinawa Yakuza War, Chiba plays an irredeemable psychopath, and emerges as one of his scariest creations in, a disfigured, psychotic karate expert/gangster who owes more than a little to an unrestrained re-imagining of his Streetfighter persona."

Sign me up. (Also not to be confused with the similar-titled Sonny Chiba movie available at Kurotokagi.)

Yo brother, I've been gunning to see this since reading about it in Chris' book too. Excellent suggestion! :bigsmile:

Thank you for that suggestion Yakuza! I was thinking it might be cool to start a club where we vote on a movie to sub & each chip in to cover the translation costs. If one person supplies the movie, another makes covers, I hook up the subs & DVD. Everyone could chip in something like 5-10 bucks, just enough to cover the costs of the films. Let's see how many people respond & if there is interest. If we could get 15-20 people at 5 bucks each, I think we could make this work. I think its a bit of a pipe dream, though.

h

It's no pipe dream. Lets make it happen.

Sorry bud, I've already subbed The Bodyguard and Karate Warriors!!! :xd:

Lastly, I will add to the list:-

Bronson lee : Champion - Tadashi Yamashita

Moeru Yusha - Hiroyuki Sanada

JAMAL did a brilliant job on Bronson Lee to create a W/S uncut English dub, but I would really like to do a subtitled version too.

Wigsplitta- THANK YOU for the subtitles on THE BODYGUARD and KARATE WARRIORS! You rock!!! :bigsmile:

I'm with you- love BRONSON LEE; CHAMPION and could definitely go for a subbed version, and subs for the extremely entertaining sequels THE KARATE 2 and THE KARATE 3.

I've already told you, but let me just publicly fawn over your MAKI cover- DAMN that is cool! :wink:

Count me in as well and I can also help with timing and authoring the DVDs.

I would love to see this film get the subtitle treatment:

img40125529hi8.jpg

Wolves, Pigs and Men

The IMDB says "A lonely gangster tries recruiting men to plunder a respected and powerful gang." What an understatement! This is master filmmaker Kinji Fukasaku's first true work of genius, and it stars three titans of Japanese genre cinema as three brothers who come into conflict over a bag of yakuza loot stolen during a daylight, very public robbery. Rentaro Mikuni is the elder brother, in hock to the mob and under their thumb as a wishy-washy club owner. The great Ken Takakura is the middle brother, a hoodlum who reunites with his brothers after their slum-living mother dies, anxious to make a fast buck. And Kinya Kitaoji is the youngest brother, leader of a youth gang who just wants some kicks but gets roped into his elder brother's scheme without realizing the consequences. Let's just say that things don't turn out well for the siblings in the end, leading to one of the most shattering conclusions ever put on film.

I second that one, venom.

Also a V-cinema classic I talked about a while ago- http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7009&highlight=koji+yakusho

Yeah, that reminds me of another Japanese 90's action film called Drug Connection. It stars Koji Yakusho (best Japanese actor right now?), Mr. Ninja himself, Sho Kosugi and Jimmy *bleeping* Wang Yu. If you look at the front cover closely enough, he's the one with the glasses.

KK001.jpg

KK010.jpg

Shame we'll never get to see most of these subbed.

Did I speak too soon? This one wouldn't be too hard since it's half in English. I can also supply the VHS for many of these that don't have DVD releases.

Man, we really seem to all be on the same wave length here. I was just about to suggest "Drug Connection", Yakuza954. :bigsmile: I also have the Japanese VHS pre-record of it.

Archived