36 Chambers vs Iron Monkey

Iron Boat

If I had to sum up who my favorite two Shaw stars are it would come down to Gordon Liu and Chen Kuan Tai. And while its easy to like both of these guys for their true kung fu skills and abilities, I actually like their acting to.

Two of my favorite films from these guys are Iron Monkey and the original 36 Chambers, in actuality I've always viewed these films as really the same movie. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Iron Monkey (77) predates 36 Chambers (78) by a year. So with that said, I think the plot and storylines are basically the same. Both guys families have ties to revolutionaries or patriots, both guys families are eventually killed by the Manchus, both guys flee to Shaolin, both guys train and master their skills, and both guys leave the temple to right wrongs.

Okay plot is the same but the execution is very different. While 36 Chambers is the bonafide classic and is an icon of martial arts cinema, I actually prefer Iron Monkey a tad bit more. In terms of set and design 36 Chambers wins, it was a true Shaw production and has a professional quality about it. Iron Monkey is an independent film but it comes very close to looking like a Shaw Film but it has a rough quality to it that actually serves it well. However, if Iron Monkey had been produced by Shaw Studios I have no doubt it would of been even more sensational.

Where 36 Chambers outdoes Iron Monkey in my opinion is in the training sequences, I will admit that even to this day, these are some of the best training sequences on film. This was the first movie that really presented Shaolin as a school, with teachers, students, classes, lunchtime, breakfast, study hall, etc...I like how San Te had to pass lessons to move to the next chamber, very good concept. Chen's training in Iron Monkey however is standard and/or typical master and student relationship. Though I enjoyed the Bitter Monk as his teacher the sequences were not revolutionary, we've seen it done before in other films.

Now when both guys leave Shaolin this is where I feel Iron Monkey delivers the goods. A great plot twist has Iron, as a cover, joining the Manchu's, fighting for them and even killing his own people. This is very intense and shows the lengths the character will go for revenge. However, the film also addressed the moral issue of he being a monk is not allowed to kill; its against the spiritual and moral teachings. This really sets up the inner conflict of the character very well.

In contrast when Gordon Liu's character leaves Shaolin, the movie kind of grows flat and somewhat stale. One major problem is that the villain's are not given enough screen time and are not shown to be a major threat. Also there is a lot of time dedicated to San Te sharing his teachings with locals, good idea but the execution of those scenes kind of drags. Like Iron Monkey, the idea that as a monk he can not kill is also illustrated, San Te will fight the Manchu's but he does not kill anyone on screen or off for that matter.

Iron Monkey, on the other hand, is a blood fest, Chen's character decides that the Manchu's must die and just as I enjoyed watching San Te move from chamber to chamber, I enjoyed watching Iron move up in Manchu rank and kill captain after captain until he finally comes face to face with the General who ordered the slaying of his family.

So though 36 Chambers is celebrated as an original, is it an original idea, I think it owes a lot to Iron Monkey and even some of CC's Shaolin Films. I do acknowledge that the 2 films split morally when it comes to violence and the inner struggle of the protagonists. But for me I prefer Iron Monkey, it was just more dramatic and satisfying as Iron fights his way through Manchu hordes and ultimately pits his Monkey fist vs Eagle Claw.

So in essence, 36 Chambers, like Iron Monkey, starts out as a revenge story but then it transforms into a story of a monk who sets out to teach the people how to defend themselves. Good concept but probably not what viewers was expecting or hoping for.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a very non-martial approach to these films. Do you just want them to pander to lowest common denominator violence? Why are lessons in martials, virtues or depictions of lineage & legends not what the audience wants to see? Yes, 36th isn't ultimately so much a revenge story as a depiction of virtue and martial artistry spreading itself in the face of adversity through a necessity of its characters' situations. What's wrong with that? Speaking a little objectively if possible...

It owes earlier films such as the CC Shaolin cycle as that all just addresses the legendary foundations of hung fist too, all LKL's background, he grew up hearing all these legends & stories - of course there's a tie-in. Haven't seen Iron Monkey in a while, due a rewatch... remember it being ok.

Dont get me wrong, I have no issue with martial virtue, lately, its just not translating over to well on film. I think its wierd that GL gets to show more of his skill in a comedy than a serious film

Archived