From The Highway (1969) - 1st modern day KF film in colour!

falkor

Some folks doubt that the super jumps and Kung Fu styles (pigtail, iron palm and head) is enough to warrant this being classified as a Kung Fu film at all, let alone the first modern day Kung Fu movie shot in colour. This was released a few months before Chinese Boxer (previously considered and still considered by some to be the first), followed by Vengeance and Bruce Lee's Big Boss a year later, which is what really got the Kung Fu genre started.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

If there was any doubt about From The Highway then just take a look at this... Here are quotes from Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals - A Historic Survey:

"Although it was understandably limited, there was a civilian job market for martial artists as well. Among civilian employers, private security companies were the most common way for martial artists of the Qing era to make a living."

"Towards that end, bodyguards of the Qing era used a two-pronged approach. First they developed within themselves two major sets of skills. The primary one, of course, was skill in a martial art. Beyond these fistic skills, however, they also developed people skills, much the way modern police officers do."

"Another source of employment for Qing-era martial artists were the different Chinese opera troupes."

"Martial artists who found none of those employment opportunities to their liking tended to drift downward on the social scale. Many became either street entertainers or criminals. Like today's buskers, the street entertainers would show off their skill in a public place and then pass the hat around. A common sideline included selling patent medicines and tonics. They often appeared at temple celebrations or performed near markets--anyplace a crowd might gather and village leaders would not object to.

The performers included feats of strength, choreographed forms, and breaking bricks. The feats of strength usually involved such things as drawing back heavy blows, bending iron bars in their hands or around their bodies, or simply lifting large objects."

01.jpg

02a.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Kaleyboy. Question...?

Is there a way to transfer a downloaded torrent to a disc?

I'm quite a novice, and am learning on the fly.

:nerd:

Shaolin Chamber 36

To those interested, this movie is now screening in the Chamber Cinema until November 6. :)

ChamberCinema-FromTheHighway.png

The Chamber Cinema can be found in the 'Hidden Chamber' section of Shaolin Chamber 36's Forum. This HIDDEN section is only viewable to registered members.

If you happen to register, please send me a separate email letting me know what user name you've registered with to shaolinchamber36@gmail.com

I get so many SPAM/FAKE registrants everyday, it's really hard to tell which ones may be legit, thank you.

Lol, it's called "the hidden chamber" for a reason :wink:. Seriously, you have to sign up for an account there to access it (Ithink).

I'm pretty sure the films are in the hidden chamber, but it's only hidden to non-members of Ray's site ( I think). Once you become a member, you can see it.

they did a brilliant job on this project 10 out of 10,

respect to falkore for camcording the mandarin sound

I fully agree with you about mentioning Falkor for making that original recording. He made many people aware of this film who perhaps had not before. I've gone back and edited the download page on ADC to give proper credit to him.

Shaolin Chamber 36
The post just said Chamber Cinema, nothing about Hidden Chamber.

Sorry for the confusion brother, I've just edited my original post explaining it all better.

Archived