Hideo Gosha's "Tenchu" vs "Goyokin"

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

Both of these 1969 films are samurai masterpieces in my opinion. The fact that Gosha was able to complete two films of this stature in one year is awe inspiring. I wanted to get opinions on what people thought about these films, if they prefer one over the other, or consider them as both being equally great. While Tenchu has the star power of Nakadai and Katsu together and Katsu's lead character Izo was a great departure from his Zatoichi role, Nakadai I thought was underused and much better in Goyokin. I feel Goyokin wins in the overall story department as well and was amazingly photographed. They both deliver in the action and swordplay department, especially for films that are story driven rather than traditional action films. Does anyone have any thoughts on these films? I'd really like to hear what you think.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BLF: That is a tough one to choose between the (2) movies both are great. I'd have to watch them both again in order to tell you which one I think is the better of the two.

Both were great movies but Goyokin had the better ending, I was disappointed that Katsu and Nakadia didn't have it out at the end, Goyokin on the other hand had the duel in the snow with the guys in the Kabuki masks beating fiercly on that huge drum in the backround, the music added to a great ending!

BlackLamaFaction

Yeah the ending to Tenchu was kind of disappointing,even sad in a way, I still felt some sympathy for Izo especially for the brutal way he had to go. But a duel between the two stars would have been epic. Kind of like the Mifune, Nagadai duel at the end of Samurai Rebellion.

Both movies are based on many real life events.

Tenchu is my favorite because it was banned for so long because of Mishima Yukio. He committed seppuku in the movie and in real life on top of a building with others. Tenchu is Hideo Gosha's finest work. Check out the last samurai, and NOOO not the damn Tom Cruise movie. It is a movie by the actor Takahashi Hideki and starts out at the beginning of the end of the Shogunate and ends during the Meiji era. It really was an eye opener for anyone who wants to understand the great changes during this small period.

Goyokin wins, by a fraction. Don't get me wrong though, Tenchu is an amazing film and it shocks me that this hasn't been released on R1 DVD yet. Seriously, I really can't believe it. The R1 Gosha front is really lacking. Where is Bandits Vs Samurai Squardon, Hunter In The Dark, Fireflies In The North?

Oh, and just to throw it out there, I think that Onimasa is Gosha's best work even though I'm sure not many would agree with me. (It just came out on R1 DVD folks! So check it out)

Ahh Bandits vs. Samurai Squad, another Gosha classic filled with blood and craziness.

I have a very bad print of that movie subbed but it is hard to come by. Back in the days you had to have it no matter how dark the picture or blurry. Reminds me of watching those DBZ vhs tapes back in the day that looked like they were copied 6 billion times before my copy.

Ahh Bandits vs. Samurai Squad, another Gosha classic filled with blood and craziness.

I have a very bad print of that movie subbed but it is hard to come by. Back in the days you had to have it no matter how dark the picture or blurry. Reminds me of watching those DBZ vhs tapes back in the day that looked like they were copied 6 billion times before my copy.

There is a good chance Criterion is going to release Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron and 3 Outlaw Samurai this year. I've been asking questions on their facebook page and it seems likely these will hit within the year. (hopefully)

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Vegeta84, what's Onimasa like? Also, Hunter In The Dark is available R1, I forget who released it, but I've got it, so it is out there.

There is no "official" R1 Hunter In the Dark yet. There are a few versions floating around that can be watched on a R1 DVD player. There is an R0 NTSC of Panorama's version and there is a bootleg copy which I know has some blue on the cover, but I can't remember the details. You can get the Panorama one on Amazon, but it's still not an authorized R1 DVD. Panorama is not a R1 distributor.

As for Onimasa it's not your basic Yakuza flick as it doesn't spend much time on the Yakuza life. It stars my main man Tatsuya Nakadai as a Yakuza boss with Samurai ethics. Don't expect your average Yakuza flick, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great movie which it is. The 2 1/2 hours will fly by and just watching Nakadai is fascinating in itself.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a Yakuza film so expect some blood and murders. (A must in any Gosha films) , but it nearly all happens in the last 30 minutes. I've seen about 10 Gosha films and this is my favorite. Animeigo just released it on tuesday so check it out. You can even buy on their webstie for like 12.99 or something.

Here is hoping they release more Gosha flicks.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
There is no "official" R1 Hunter In the Dark yet. There are a few versions floating around that can be watched on a R1 DVD player. There is an R0 NTSC of Panorama's version and there is a bootleg copy which I know has some blue on the cover, but I can't remember the details. You can get the Panorama one on Amazon, but it's still not an authorized R1 DVD. Panorama is not a R1 distributor.

As for Onimasa it's not your basic Yakuza flick as it doesn't spend much time on the Yakuza life. It stars my main man Tatsuya Nakadai as a Yakuza boss with Samurai ethics. Don't expect your average Yakuza flick, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great movie which it is. The 2 1/2 hours will fly by and just watching Nakadai is fascinating in itself.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a Yakuza film so expect some blood and murders. (A must in any Gosha films) , but it nearly all happens in the last 30 minutes. I've seen about 10 Gosha films and this is my favorite. Animeigo just released it on tuesday so check it out. You can even buy on their webstie for like 12.99 or something.

Here is hoping they release more Gosha flicks.

On Hunter In The Dark, ah, yesee yesee there is, as I've said I have one. If I'm not mistaken I'd ordered from HKFlix as well. The flick is loaded with nudity and violence, but it's really not that great of a film, those factors could'nt save it.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

By the way Vegeta84, thanks for the heads up on Onimasa, and I apologize if I came off as a bit rude in our debate over Hunter In The Dark. Wasn't intentional, if I'm in arush when posting, these things happen. Thanks again.

Not a problem. I just want an edition that anyone can pick up at bestbuy or at any store that normally carries Japanese films. For me Hunter In the Dark is Gosha's second best work. Nakadai Vs Chiba. Can't go wrong with that.

Hideo Gosha must have had to invent new ways to kill people on film.

In Tenchu Okada Izo fights in a narrow street and drags his blade through wood and brick to cut through his opponent and in Hunter in the Dark Yoshiro Harada puts his blade all the way through the old man and you get the super blood spurt.

I didn't like Gosha's remake of Tange Sazen with Nakadai. Nakadai looks old and worn out. In the whole movie he's flailing about and there isn't any technique to speak of.

BlackLamaFaction

Hey Klepto speaking of that scene in Tenchu why did Izo pick up that lamp and hold it over the guys face before he stabbed him? It looked like he was trying to catch his blood or something. What was the reason for that?

Hey Klepto speaking of that scene in Tenchu why did Izo pick up that lamp and hold it over the guys face before he stabbed him? It looked like he was trying to catch his blood or something. What was the reason for that?

Exactly, nobody likes to get soaked with blood on their bloody campaign. Zatoichi would have thrown his cape in the guys face and stabbed him afterward..

Archived