Clash of the Titans: 2010

daisho2004

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm kinda looking forward to this, even if it looks a little to "300" from the traiIer, loved the original, that and Jason and the Argonauts, two of my favorite movies, I'm a huge Harryhausen fan! Just hope this isn't a cgi fest:sad: even though I know it will be, the Kraken did look awesome.

Why remake it? There's plenty of Greek mythology to pull from.

I'm a huge Harryhausen fan!

Tosh: I'm as well, I think Ray Harryhausen was one of the pioneers who paved the way for SP-FX movies, Willis O'Brien's ground-breaking stop-motion animation in King Kong 1933', was his mentor.

I caught a documentary on him where he said King Kong was a huge influence and made him get into the movie biz, I keep meaning to pick up his boxset, the man was a true pioneer, I assume movies go back to stop animation mixed in with some cgi.

• Administrator

There's a fantastic book about Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen that I got as a Christmas present from my Mom and Dad back in the 70's, called FROM THE LAND BEYOND, BEYOND. That was one of my favorite books, and as a kid I always carried it around with me, read it from cover to cover over and over, and used to draw copies of many of the amazing pictures in it. I still have one I think- it was one of O'Brien's beautiful pre-production drawings of Kong fighting a terradactyl, and I remember laying under the Christmas tree drawing it while listening to The Beatles Sgt. Pepper album on headphones. Good times!

O'Brien was the pioneer of stop motion animation effects, and he taught the young Harryhausen as his apprentice. The films they worked on are still among the ones I love the most, with the original KING KONG still holding strong as a top 10 favorite of all time.

I would have loved to meet either of these FX geniuses, as they have been a huge influence on me in my life. O'Brien died long before I was born, and I've never had the chance to meet Mr. Harryhausen, though I've always heard that he is a wonderful, friendly man. A few years ago, one of my best friends- through sheer coincidence- had the chance to speak to him. He works at a place along with a local celeb interviewer that specializes in classic films. The guy had set up an interview with Mr. Harryhausen, but for some reason he was called away just as the interview was about to begin. He asked Mr. Harryhausen if he could hold on for a minute, handed the phone to my friend, and said "Can you please entertain him for a few mintues, and I'll be back as quick as I can?" My buddy was beyond thrilled, as he's a big fan too. He wound up talking to Ray for almost 15 minutes, and he said that the man is an incredibly warm, friendly gentleman, and that he wasn't in the least put off about having the interview delayed. They spoke about his films, his thoughts on the new FX stuff in today's movies, ect. As soon as my friend got off the phone with him, he called me, as excited as a kid in a toy store, to tell me "Guess who I just talked to?!"

There's a fantastic book about Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen called FROM THE LAND BEYOND, BEYOND.

KUNG FU BOB: That is a great Book! I know I still have it someplace.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB: That is a great Book! I know I still have it someplace.

Hahaha- shows our age! I know that my parents wrote an inscription to me in it on the inside front cover- the date that I got it too. I'll take a few photos to post- of the Kong drawing too if I can find it. :bigsmile:

I'd like to get this book.

Well after showing my friend the trailer we went out and rented the original, what a classic, has there been a remaster of this? I'm sure they'll be releasing one with the remake, I think modern tech could blend in the bluescreens better. It had an all to brief interview with the master himself, I'd loveto see some better extras, he was saying how much of a shock it was to see medusa come crawling out on her hands, dragging herself, I have to agree I remember when I first watched this.

It's a shame they didn't make more movies, I know Herryhausen retired but you'd think his students could of took it from there, then again fx was changing at that time, I hope the remake does good maybe can get a couple sequels, I'd sign up for more Greek Mythology movies:xd:

I have to go find this book now, I know I have it in storage somewhere, atleast I think I still do.

I'd sign up for more Greek Mythology movies

Tosh; I agree with you also, I would love to see "Gods of War" video game made into a movie, its a Great video game and I think it would make a great Greek Mythology movie.

Video Game Story:

Plot

The game begins with the main character, Kratos, committing suicide by jumping off a cliff into the Aegean Sea. As he plummets to the rocks below, the game's story is told through a series of flashbacks. The story of God of War revolves around Kratos, a former captain in the Spartan army who sets out to kill Ares, the god of war. It is the goddess Athena who requests him to destroy Ares, as his army is attacking her patron city Athens. But since Zeus had previously forbidden the gods from directly declaring war against each other, only a mortal can stop Ares. Kratos however, is already motivated by revenge; as the game progresses, Kratos' backstory is gradually explained, revealing that he had formerly been a murderous servant of Ares and had received from him his weapons, the Blades of Chaos, and his recurrent nightmares that continue throughout the story to serve as a reminder of his past. Kratos eventually renounced his service to him after the god tricked him into killing his own family.

The game starts on a ship, beached on rocks in the Aegean Sea under siege from the Hydra. Kratos defends the ship from several of the undead, while simultaneously fighting the many heads of the Hydra. After arriving at Athens by ship, and fighting through it, Kratos learns from the city's oracle that the only way to defeat Ares is to use the legendary Pandora's Box, which can give any mortal the power to kill a god. However, the Oracle explains that the Box is hidden deep within the Temple of Pandora, carried on the back of the last living Titan, Cronus, who has been commanded by Zeus to endlessly wander the Desert of Lost Souls as punishment for his past actions. Kratos travels to the Desert to find Cronos, and upon doing so, gains entrance to the Temple after scaling the Titan's back for three days.

Much of the game takes place within the Temple, inside of which Kratos must solve numerous puzzles and overcome hordes of hostile creatures to reach Pandora's Box. Ultimately he retrieves the magical artifact, but as he does so, Ares learns of his success and kills him. After doing so, Ares sends harpies to claim the Box for himself. Kratos meanwhile, falls into the Underworld, but he manages to fight his way back into the world of the living.

After escaping from the Underworld, Kratos recovers Pandora's Box from Ares (who threatens to usurp the other gods of Olympus), and opens it. The powers unleashed cause him to grow until he is the same size as Ares, and the two engage one another in battle. When Kratos has the upper hand, Ares traps him in an alternate dimension in which he is seemingly reunited with his family, but is forced to defend them against clones of himself. After saving them, Ares strips Kratos of his Blades of Chaos, and uses the Blades to kill his family. A distraught Kratos is returned to the battleground and, after finding the ancient Blade of the Gods nearby (it serves as a bridge leading out of the Oracle's Temple earlier in the game), succeeds in finally defeating and destroying Ares.

Despite his victory, Kratos is informed by Athena that the gods cannot rid him of his frequent nightmares of the past (since none can forget his atrocities), and had only promised to forgive him for his sins. Thinking all his troubles have been in vain, Kratos attempts to commit suicide by throwing himself off a cliff, bringing the story back to the beginning of the game. Athena, however, intervenes and takes him to Mount Olympus where, because of his services to the gods, he is offered to become the new god of war. Kratos' magical abilities are restored, and he is given new weapons, the Blades of Athena.

Video Game Tribute:

froffeecoffee
Tosh; I agree with you also, I would love to see "Gods of War" video game made into a movie, its a Great video game and I think it would make a great Greek Mythology movie.

There are plans to make a God of War movie. So far Brett Ratner was considered to direct. But he was eventually ruled out. No word yet on anything about it for awhile now.

Out of all the video games turned to movies, GoW is the only one I see that could make the transition. It already has a good storyline and character in Kratos. Plus the creatures have been some of the most imaginitive translations I've seen.

There are plans to make a God of War movie

froffeecoffee: That would be great, and I agree that the storyline is already there, and now they have a 3rd. video game coming out soon. So you definitely have the sequel storyline's in place as well. I think that Greek Mythology/fantasy movies have been some of the best when I was growing up. And I love that this genre is getting a fresh remake.

I loved this movie as a kid, partially because I was a big mythology geek. I recently re-watched the Herryhausen one and while it shows its age a bit, it is still a lot of fun. BTW, I watched with my 3 and half year old daughter and she loved it- "Medusa has googly eyes! And BLACK TEETH!" (one of her quotes). Yes I'm interested in this one, I hope it won't be too "300" style and while the director Letterier is solid, he's also capable of putting out middle-of-the-road stuff.

But.....

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!

I've watched the trailer a few times and I think it's the music that gave me the 300 vibe, really looking forward to this, now I need to watch Jason and the Argonauts.

OK ready for some Bad News!? I read a few newspapers and the reviews really gave this movie a bad press release! Now I went to see this today and I was so excited I couldn't wait, and let me just say that I should've waited! This movie to me was a huge disappointment, I mean I really was hoping for some off the chart super duper movie that was going to blow my mind away, because I'm a huge Greek Mythology fan! And this movie just was plain flat! It was like the Director really just wanted to throw a movie together and add some good CGI! Medusa looked like a video game creature, the Kraken looked like something from the Gears of War Video game creatures. The Gods of Olympus were boring they only focused on Zeus & Hades no one else! If you loved the original one from 1981 then don't hope for a better movie in this one because you will be totally disappointed! If you never seen the original then you will most likely enjoy this movie the storyline is a little different in many ways. There is one tribute to the original movie and when you see it you'll know right away what it is! I did enjoy watching Liam Neeson as Zeus and I thought Ralph Fiennes as Hades was good but his acting was horrible! They shoulda let loose the Kraken on the Director & Writer of this film! This movie should be seen in 3D if nothing else!

synopsis:

Caught amid a war between the gods, Perseus (Sam Worthington), the son of Zeus (Liam Neeson), is helpless to save his family from Hades (Ralph Fiennes), god of the underworld. With nothing left to lose, Perseus leads a band of warriors on a dangerous quest to prevent Hades from overthrowing the king of the gods and laying waste to the Earth.

clashtitans3dposter.jpg

I cannot believe nobody has posted there reviews on this movie besides me!

After reading the chud review(and yours), I think I'll be waiting for video, shame I was hoping for something better, I was skeptical when I start reading all the changes he was making, my buddy was telling me Medusa looked like she belonged in a video game:squigglemouth:

Yes Medusa did look like something out of a video game. And I would wait to watch it on video now!

Thanks.

I see you also looked at the few Chiba films I have up so far. These here may interest you as well since you are into Japanese samurai/exploitation/sexploitation movies...

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/04/sins-of-celluloid-3-most-controversial.html

and this one here, I am sure you've heard of it, although people rarely ever talk about it. It's a must see Japanese samurai/horror film...

http://www.coolasscinema.com/search/label/Shura

A sequel could be shooting in January with Jonathan Liebesman (helmer of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING) taking over as director. Full story at Dark Horizons

Update:

The sequel to Clash of the Titans is going full speed. According to Dark Horizons, the sequel is called WRATH OF THE TITANS. Sam Worthington and Gemma Armerton are reprising their roles as possibility of Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes returning as well. There is rumor that James Franco and Javier Bardem may be offered roles.

Archived