The Ron Van Clief Collection

Guest morgoth

Guest morgoth

I thought I saw a thread on this a while ago but i never heard that Tan does the commentaries with Van Clief. Maybe I overlooked it. He is not a bad commentator IMO. I just started watching the behind the scenes of the horrible Carter Wong movie and heard Tan. I am guessing the commentaries are pretty dam good.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dion Brother

Ron Van Clief's commentary is fascinating, but I found Tan to be somewhat annoying, despite his knowledge. His voice is a bit grating and he's eager to name drop to show off how "connected" he is to the martial arts community. Funny, I just remember him as the scrawny con artist who bought 3 full page ads in Black Belt Magazine in 1988 to sell his lousy $40 bootlegs. The prints are terrible, but the movies are no great shakes either. But Van Clief's commentary will tell you more about Bruce Lee than any of John Little's books.

Guest morgoth

LOL, as many bad things that there are about him, I still find him interesting at times. I would put him a small notch above Ric Myers, if that means anything.

Can't wait to listen to these commentaries. I do have a feeling they will be a very special treat.

Guest morgoth

No doubt Dion Brother, very good stuff. Way of the Black Dragon was good and had tons of info and good stuff on Carter Wong but the Death of Bruce Lee DVD was as good as it gets. One of my favorite parts was the fight on the set they show in the behind the scenes. We always here abotu these fights but we actually get to see it. Van Clief is like-"Yeah, watch, I'll fight him here. I fight people on set all the time". :lol

Guest morgoth

I have to point out that George tan is good in the commentaries. It's nice how the entire thing flows very well and you don't even notice 90 minutes go by, unlike Bey Logan. And BEy Lgan and Bret Ratner together ae even worse. Takes me a few times to get through those commentaries.

And plus it was nice to see this movie for the first time. Sammo was my favorite Bruce impersonator but Charles Bonet now holds the #1 spot for me.:D :D

It's nice how the entire thing flows very well and you don't even notice 90 minutes go by, unlike Bey Logan.

you're the first person I've ever heard say that.

Guest killer meteor

I haven't heard the DD commentaries but Bey Logan's HKL commentaries were often excellent - full of info and very entertaining to listen to. I'm not much of a commentary fan - I prefer a meaty documentary

Guest morgoth

I like commentaries. I have heard a few HKL commentaries and they are great. But the DD ones have been crap. And then they take it to a whole nother level of crap when Ratner is on there. It's not Ratner's fault. Logan only lets him talk abotu stuff that Logan wants to talk about and just interrupts if Ratner doesn't follw this rule of his.

PLus, there is really nothing that can match the Van Clief commentary for me. Easily one of the best 10 commentaries I have ever heard. And I have heard at least 500.

I am a huge geek. 8o

Guest killer meteor

Ratner shouldn't even be on there. Who cares what he has to say when they could have used the money to get someone who worked on the individual films

Guest morgoth

Ratner can get annoying, but I was interested in what he had to say. Maybe logan just interrupts him because he knows he will say something stupid. I really have no idea what is going on, but the 2 PS commentaries just didn't have a good flow. He also does the same thing quite a bit in Seven Swords and I don't remember any of the DD commentaries being great either. I do agree that someone who worked on teh movie should be on there, but I don't know who it should have been. They probably couldn't get someone who speaks English.

Guest Dion Brother

They are old, washed out pan and scan prints. The commentary is the only reason to watch them, along with Ron's rare behind the scenes footage.

Since George Tan ripped off a friend of mine by selling advanced orders for his TRACKING THE DRAGON book series that was never released (this was in 1989, btw), and sold me some lousy bootlegs for way too much money, I've far more problems with Tan than I do with Bey. Tan is a crook. And he's a total Bruce Lee and Elvis fanboy. At a very unhealthy level. And his Ground Zero bootlegs soiled the video market for quality releases. There's a lot to hate about him.

Bey Logan's commentaries for Golden Harvest and non-Shaw titles are usually excellent. But his few Shaw commentaries are useless.

Are the prints remastered?

The rights holders only had Pan and scan copies of the films. It's a shame, because with just an email I found a 35mm print of Death of Bruce Lee they could have rented for this release.

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
The rights holders only had Pan and scan copies of the films

Wow, I'm impressed that they actually contacted the rights holders; I figured that Georgy Porgy Puddin' Pie supplied them with the prints (Kinda like Xenon's WAY OF THE BLACK DRAGON release).

How about when Van Cliff said a certain HK actress "fell in love" with The Black Dragon?

"Couldn't get enough of his stuff."

:D

Does anyone know if they released more titles in the RON VAN CLIEF COLLECTION other than WAY OF THE BLACK DRAGON and DEATH OF BRUCE LEE?m

Just those two. BLACK DRAGON was released on a double bill with CHINESE HERCULES. I think BAMBOO TRAP was released in another multi-pack.

OneMetal: Do you listen to other audio commentaries?

Bey Logan: I try to; I like to listen to director tracks mainly, as they tend to have the most information from start to finish. Most of the ‘expert’ commentaries seem to run out of steam half way through. Again, not enough homework! I wish there were more people doing Asian commentary tracks, so I could learn more myself. One that I really appreciated was Linn Haynes’ commentary on Heroes Two, rest his soul. That guy really knew his stuff, and he was taken from us far too soon. Linn definitely knew more about Shaw Brothers films than I do. I also enjoyed Toby Russell’s commentary on Secret Rivals and some other titles. He has a huge amount of information. Ron Van Clief with George Tan on the Black Dragon films, they were great. If George had ever got his act together and done authorized commentaries for the Bruce Lee titles, he’d have left me in the dust! There are a number of Asian film experts who have recorded commentaries, Ric Meyers, Stefan Hammond, Miles Wood and Andy Staton among them, but, given the information available to them, I don’t think they’ve really done themselves justice. They could all be better than me: just have to do your homework and practice!

Archived