any suggestions on modern police/vigilante drama/action films from Asia.

ben

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on modern police drama/action films, what I was interested in is something along the lines of the Dirty Harry Clint Eastwood films, or Takeshi Kitano's "Violent Cop", or Ringo Lam's film "Full Alert" that is more intense or has psychological significance, like a desperate life or family problem; or even if its not based on a cop, like a vigilante film similar to Charles Bronson's "Death Wish" movies

I'm familiar with most of Danny Lee Sau Yin's films, would like to find anything similar, from Hong Kong or Japan or wherever.

Thanks for your advice

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your suggestions

I don't mind any ideas on Shaw Brothers films or other 70s/80s films that might have this type of style

Thanks again

You seen The Longest Nite bengs? Not really a Bronson or Clint Eastwood type movie, but a must see!

No but that is one of them I'm going to get around to

I didn't really want to list every single movie I've seen already, but I should have said I've already seen alot of the popular ones like "A Better Tomorrow", "Hard Boiled", "Flash Point" right down to "Law with two phases"

Anyway if any more suggestions, I'd appreciate it

masterofoneinchpunch

I'll second The Longest Nite along and to a lesser extent Expect The Unexpected (both credited to Patrick Yau Tat-Chi but mostly directed by Johnnie To).

How many of the Johnnie To films have you seen? There are a ton of Triad/cop films I would recommend from him. I see one suggestion already for Breaking News -- great opening scene.

Long Arm of the Law

City on Fire

School on Fire (Ringo Lam's best work imo)

The Big Heat

Wild Search

Loving You

Beast Cops

Victim

Infernal Affairs

PTU

Mad Detective

Eye in the Sky

Tactical Unit series

Overheard

Yes I've seen a few of Johnnie To's films but more I have to see, and likewise also more of Lau Ching Wan's films I should try to track down.

Guest ekisha

I hope i'm not too late.

I know you like Danny Lee's movies. Just check out Man On The Brink and Cops & Robbers 1979 both directed by Alex Cheung. And the interesting thing. Eddie Chan who starred in Law With Two Phases alongside Lee Sir is starring in Man On The Brink and Danny Lee's partner and director of Cop Of The Town stars in Cops & Robbers. You just have to see these 2 films. Also i should mention some of Phillip Chan's works like Night Caller and Gun Is Law.

bengs -

Like the others said, for sure LONGEST NITE and EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. Heck, even give Ringo Lam's THE VICTIM a shot.

You want to see a good Korean crime film? CHASER - one of the best movies ever made.

YEAR OF THE DRAGON (Mickey Rourke) is pretty good. It's a hollywood flick though.

We need a remastered version of Longest Nite and Expect the Unexpected

Hong Kong:

-Beast Cop (Anthony Wong)

-Beyond Hypothermia (Wu Chien-Lien)

-Big Bullet (Lau Ching Wan)

-Bullets over summer (Francis Ng, Louis Koo)

-Colour of truth (Anthony Wong)

-Double Tap (Leslie Cheung)

-Full Alert (Anthony Wong, Francis Ng)

-Fulltime Killer (Andy Lau)

-Infernal Affairs Trilogy

-Hard Boiled (Chow Yun Fat, Tony Leung)

-SPL/Killzone (Donnie Yen, Simon Yam)

-Mad Detective (Lau Ching Wan)

-On The Run (Yuen Biu)

-One Nite In Mongkok (Cecilia Cheung)

-Running out of time (Andy Lau, Lau Ching Wan)

-Tiger on the beat (Chow Yun Fat)

-Better tomorrow Trilogy

-True Mob Story (Andy Lau)

-The Victim 1995 (Tony Leung, Lau Ching Wan)

-Lee Rock (Andy Lau)

-Divergence (Aaron Kwok)

Japan: anything with Takeshi Kitano in modern setting :smile:

Korean:

-Bittersweet Life

-City of Violence

-Daisy

-Mr. Butterfly

-Public Enemy

-Another Public Enemy

-Running Wild

-Typhoon

-Shiri

another that was quite good was Herman Yau's 'On the Edge' w/ Nick Cheung, Anthony Wong, and Francis Ng. a different take on the whole undercover cop thing.

as above posters have pointed out, any and every crime film from Johnnie To/Milkyway Image is worth seeing, as well as those directed/produced by Derek Yee.

Thanks for returning to my thread with more suggestions. Hopefully I'll get around to more once I get a new job.

Archived