Top 5 One on One Showdowns

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

A lot of final fights or climatic fights in films I noticed incorporate several fighters fighting at once. When done well they are usually amazing. However, I wanted to get some ideas on what are some of the best One on One Toe to Toe showdowns.

1. Jacky Chen Shao Lung vs. Chang Shan (Of Cooks and Kung Fu) I really liked the cooking styles they were pretty innovative.

2. Lee Yi Min Vs. Jack Long (7 Grand Masters) This was a great fight, I particularly liked how both fighters were using the same style.

3. Gordon Liu Vs. Phillip Ko Fei (8 Diagram Pole Fighters) One of my favorite weapons fights I love how the Abbot gives him his sash after the fight.

4. Meng Fei Vs. Mark Long (Unbeaten 28) Some really cool action with the ring. These guys are both pretty amazing.

5. Leung Kar Yan Vs. Eddie Ko Hung (Sleeping Fist) Technically Beardy had some help from the kid, but he was getting his butt kicked until he used the sleeping styles so the kid really wasn't much help so I still count this.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a hell of a question. In a genre so thick with awe-inspiring one on one moments, I may have to sit down and actually have a serious think about this one.

The Silver Fox

Tiger Over Wall, end fight is superb. Phillip Ko vs Hang Jang Lee. I must say that this is one of the best fights I've seen. It's really intense and it some of it looks pretty real.

The rest of the movie is fairly decent with some good fights here and there but the end battle is easily worth getting this movie.

Morgoth Bauglir

Tiger Over Wall definitely one of the best. The way Hwang goes wild with those kicks gets me all excited.

Here’s some more-

Buddha Assassinator

Drunken Master

10 Magnificent Killers

The Victim

60 Second Assassin

Martial Club

Daggers 8

The Young Master

Kung Fu Zombie- Billy Chong vs Kwan Young Moon. Not the end fight, so maybe not what you're looking for Black Lama, but it's one of the best one on one fights. I just had to include it:tongue:

I would put in a vote for the end fights from My Young Auntie and possibly Lady Is The Boss (the very last bit).

I would need to rewatch a lot of stuff to compose a top 5 but since Martial Club was mentioned I feel My Young Auntie definitely warrants a mention in this thread.

edit-I would maybe include Pops vs Sammo in Pedicab Driver although it's not an end fight and is more of a friendly battle between the two it's very well filmed. Also it was great seeing the two of them appear together in a film.

I would say anytime Sammo Hung goes at Lau Kar Wing in "The Odd Couple" is pure weapons genius. I've hit my rewind button on more than a few occasions watching their impeccable timing.

BlackLamaFaction

This thread is kind of crazy as soon as put up those five I thought of 5 better ones,it can just go on and on. Tiger Over Wall I still have not seen, I'll check that out Silver Fox. Thanks Morgoth for all the suggestions, I have only seen 3 of the films you mentioned and their right on.. I should have clarified I didn't only mean end fights. Great fights can happen anytime Snake Deadly Act comes to mind. Phoenix, I totally agree with Young Auntie. Drunken Monk, Odd couple is an amazing display of weapons fighting I didn't think of that. White Crane, I agree, the Victim had absolute flawless choreography. The Chang Yi fight with Beardy was spectacular as well. Thanks for all your input.

I think a film that's sometimes overlooked, although not underrated, in regards to one on one fights is Yuen Woo Ping's "The Buddhist Fist." Some of the fights in this movie are choreographically amazing.

I'd forgotten about "Martial Club's" finale. That is a truly wonderful fight.

Another that springs to mind is "Legend of a Fighter." A beardless Beardy has never looked so stylish while kicking arse.

Drunken Monk, The Buddhist Fist is one of my all time faves, I absolutely love that film and hope it gets remastered some day. I've seen some reviews online that do underrate it, claiming the choreography is not up to Woo Ping's best films but there is a special something about that film for me.

Legend Of A Fighter's ending is a great one, great fight with some emotional moments.

crazedjustice888

Martial Club Finale

(Gordon Liu vs. Wang Lung Wei)

Showdown at the Cotton Mill

(Chi Kuan Chun vs. Tan Tao Ling)

My Young Auntie

(Lau Kar Leung vs. Wang Lung Wei)

Thats all I got for now...WAY too many to choose two more from...lol

Jackie vs Hwang Jang Lee in SITES Shadow and Drunken master.

While DM is not among my top list of k-f movies,end battle is nice:nerd:

There are far too many films to have so few replies. So, therefore I will add my 5 cents:

WAY OF THE DRAGON, Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris

THE YOUNG MASTER, Jackie Chan vs Wong Ing Sik

BRUCE, D-DAY AT MACAO, Liang Siu Lung vs James Nam

THE MARTIAL CLUB, Gordon Liu vs Johnny Wang Lung Wei

KUNG FU: THE PUNCH OF DEATH, Chen Sing vs Yasuaki Kurata

These are titles I would put up there..

Not in any specific order, but these are the best one-on-ones IMO:

Snake Deadly Act - Wilson Tong vs. Fung Hak-on (opening fight)

Crazy Guy with Super Kung Fu - Wong Chi Sang vs. Peng Kang (opening fight)

Daggers 8 - Wilson Tong vs. Meng Yuan Man (end fight)

Last Hurrah for Chivalry - Wei Pak vs. Fung Hak-on (middle part)

The Loot - David Chiang vs. Pilip Ko Fei (middle part)

1. Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris Way of the Dragon

2. Jackie Chan vs. Benny Urquidez Wheels on Meals

3. Donnie Yen vs. Jing Wu SPL

4. Donnie Yen vs. Colin Chou Flashpoint

5. Sammo Hung vs. Billy Chow Pedicab Driver

BlackLamaFaction

Wow this is an old one.. I have seen so many more films since I started this thread so I would like to add:

Leung Kar Yan vs. Philip Ko Fei in Cantonen Iron Kung Fu

Chen Sing Vs Philip Ko Fei in Fighting of Shaolin Monk

Li Yi Min vs. Chang Yi in Seven Commandments of Kung Fu

Bruce Leung Siu Lung vs Philip Ko Fei in The Fist, Kicks, and Evils

Guess i like fights that involve Philip Ko Fei :ooh:

Wow this is an old one.. I have seen so many more films since I started this thread so I would like to add:

Leung Kar Yan vs. Philip Ko Fei in Cantonen Iron Kung Fu

Chen Sing Vs Philip Ko Fei in Fighting of Shaolin Monk

Li Yi Min vs. Chang Yi in Seven Commandments of Kung Fu

Bruce Leung Siu Lung vs Philip Ko Fei in The Fist, Kicks, and Evils

Ko Fei is my all-time favourite together with Fung Hak-on and Wilson Tong. They all had that quirky fighting style with lots of twisting moves, love that stuff. Ko Feis performance in The Loot is the best in any kung fu movie IMO, though most of his fights there were not one-on-one, otherwise the top five would be comprised only of his fight from that movie.

Wow this is an old one.. I have seen so many more films since I started this thread...

This is a great thread! It should have over 300 posts.

BlackLamaFaction
Ko Fei is my all-time favourite together with Fung Hak-on and Wilson Tong. They all had that quirky fighting style with lots of twisting moves, love that stuff. Ko Feis performance in The Loot is the best in any kung fu movie IMO, though most of his fights there were not one-on-one, otherwise the top five would be comprised only of his fight from that movie.

Agree, Ko Fei was on point in The Loot. I would have to say he is without a doubt my favorite villain of all time. I also forgot his fight against Cliff Lok in Choy Lee Fut.

This is a great thread! It should have over 300 posts.

Thanks Dragon. It's so cool that you dug this up. I love these kinds of threads..

Drunken Monk

I don't think "The Magnificent Butcher" gets the recognition it should in regards to one on one fights...

qMXrT5mB3cM

... Thanks Dragon. It's so cool that you dug this up. I love these kinds of threads..

You're welcome. Sometimes it's worth going back a yr or so and reviewing topics. We forget where we may have stood on certain subjects.

I don't think "The Magnificent Butcher" gets the recognition it should in regards to one on one fights...

qMXrT5mB3cM

The only reason I wouldn't include that fight is because technically speaking, it's not a pure one-on-one for the whole duration of the fight, but that's nitpicking I guess :P Choreoraphy as close to perfection as you can possibly get.

I might as well include the rest of my top ten outside the top five just for fun:

Shaolin Mantis: Lau Gar Wing vs. David Chiang (end fight)

Five Shaolin Masters: Chi Kuan Chun vs. Fung Hak-on (part of end fight)

The Challenger: David Chiang vs. Norman Chu (gambling house fight)

Prodigal Son: Lam Ching-ying vs. Frankie Chan

Encounters of the Spooky Kind: Sammo Hung vs. The first guy with the ring in the end fight (I can't recognize him, help anyone?)

Guest Yi-Long

I must be one of the only guys in the world who thinks the Bruce Lee vs Chuck fight at the end of Way of the Dragon is terribly overrated. I've never cared for it at all, and much prefer the two fights that come right before it.

I must be one of the only guys in the world who thinks the Bruce Lee vs Chuck fight at the end of Way of the Dragon is terribly overrated. I've never cared for it at all, and much prefer the two fights that come right before it.

I think the whole movie's overrated, to be honest. I'd much rather watch Enter the Dragon, Fists of Fury, or the Game of Death footage Bruce shot.

Archived