Why did celestial stop releasing shaw bros films?

ching li

Do any of you guys know why celestial stopped releasing shaw bros films? They still had some left, but that just seemed to have stopped.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungpowmaster

I didn't realize SB made so many movies, it sure is a lot. What's the total count of SB movies that start off with the SB Shaw Scope frame?

Oh, crap. That sucks, I wish they were still releasing them on dvd. Thanks for the info HyperDrive.

No problem. Now watch, they'll release the ones KFC has been wanting like To Kill a Mastermind and Thunderclap.

I'll tell you why. It's because they only chose so many films to remaster. Some films didn't have good copies, others haven't even been found yet. So they've pretty much released the quota they had set a couple years ago, when they first started this huge collection. Plus, a lot of them have even gone of out print.

Sad, but most of the good ones are still in print somewhere, or have already been bought by other companies for release in the U.S. and Europe.

ALL of the Shaw films are with the Hong Kong Film Archive. Celestial donated them in a big ceremony a few months back. I don't know if Celestial remastered all of the material & then donated it or what. It would have been crazy for them to give it away without remastering all of the material. Celestial should have digibeta copies of all of their films, or I hope so!

I think some were just old 35mm prints. But that could be wrong.

They donated every scrap of 35mm film and kept only 12 or 13 re-mastered 35mm prints. That's the only film material they have left. They kept copies of Blood Brothers, 5 Venoms, the 36 Chamber films, 14 Amazons, and I can't remember the others.

Archived