BCI Titles picked up by Funimation

TimB

Even cut it was extremely violent, so uncut is going to be a bloodbath!

LOL providing Celestial don't snip and frame-cut:tongue:!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolin Patriot
I got in touch with Funimation today. I'll be getting more answers later on next week (since it was Friday and close to closing), we did talk abut a bunch of stuff and I can say it should be Cantonese. :) I'll post more when I hear back from them next week.

I'd love to hear release dates for the other titles after HKG and OKFM. Looking forward to your update.

Please ask them if we can expect blu-ray releases of the Shaw titles. Thanks.

I've been trying to contact them about this as well, but hopefully someone with better connections can get some kind of confirmation as to whether or not they'll put them on blu.

There is an interview with Richard Cheung Kuen that was supposed to have been included with the BCI release of HK Godfathers. It would be amazing if it was part of the funimation release.

Shaolin Patriot
I got in touch with Funimation today. I'll be getting more answers later on next week (since it was Friday and close to closing), we did talk abut a bunch of stuff and I can say it should be Cantonese. :) I'll post more when I hear back from them next week.

Do you have any updates on upcoming titles and release dates, etc.?

Rojas hasn't responded for a while. As the time had gone on, they've most likely left it too late, so we'll just have to see.

Without a consultant, they're on autopilot. All we can hope is the materials they receive will be properly handled (correct language in mono with remastered subtitles, the PAL/HD master and correct flagging). Linn had got started with BCI, so they may still have everything as planned - it could potentially be fine. The next thing is extras - would they know about stuff like interviews that was intended for the release?

Do you have any updates on upcoming titles and release dates, etc.?

I never heard back from them. I'll give it another try tomorrow if I can.

The next thing is extras - would they know about stuff like interviews that was intended for the release?

They haven't optioned any of the extras material. It looks like all of the stuff prepared will go unreleased.

They haven't optioned any of the extras material. It looks like all of the stuff prepared will go unreleased.

I know people want the film to be fine (and they may do that), but it does bother me about the extras.

Shaolin Patriot

Does Navarre own the rights to the extras? If so, can Media Blasters include the extras on their upcoming releases?

Also, do you consider original trailers as extras? I hope Funimation would include them with the films.

cliffmac2010

Hi,

All the extras were planned and some of it was shot, but i don't recall if we had anything done for AMAZONS or HAND LOCK yet. I don't think those were the next two we were going to release, but it's been awhile.

I had some of the master converted from PAL to NTSC spec - AMAZON might have been one of them, but I don't think i did HAND LOCK.

It's a shame that no one from Navarre bothered to contact me. I could have helped them,...but they just kicked us BCI employees to the curb... right before Christmas and they could really care less about how the product is handled.... and frankly, the only reason Funimation is releasing them is that Navarre already paid for them. I'm not sure why they didn't try and release the Takshi Kitano films I acquired. That would make more sense.

I almost bought the two releases at Best Buy the other day but i couldn't bring myself to do it. The HK discs are probably a better bet.

Cliff

Ex-BCI guy

Shaolin Patriot

Cliff, nice to hear back from you and thanks for your insight into the BCI situation.

cliffmac2010
Cliff, nice to hear back from you and thanks for your insight into the BCI situation.

Thanks!

I had to chime in. I came to the site to see if there were any reviews for the two titles.

It's a bummer to hear that they didn't come out well.

Thanks!

I had to chime in. I came to the site to see if there were any reviews for the two titles.

It's a bummer to hear that they didn't come out well.

Well, first of all, it's nice to see someone "on the inside" still knows what we mean by "proper PAL to NTSC" :wink: And yeah, 14A and SHL had bizarre PAL-to-NTSC progressive scan transfers, but since they weren't time corrected, they had frame blending.

The promo they showed for those two films and Hong Kong Godfather and Opium and the Kung Fu Master showed that while 14A and SHL were "blurry", OATKFM and HKG had no blurring. It made sense for OATKFM since the BCI DVD was properly running at 24p film speed. So we have our fingers crossed for Hong Kong Godfather!

With it rather established there will be no extras (unless Funimation intervene!), we're going to be left with potentially good-looking video and mono soundtracks, BUT, sub-par subtitles (as The Running Man has pointed out) with made-up translations.

Has anyone contacted them with a response to this?

Archived