BCI Titles picked up by Funimation

TimB

I was looking over at the Right Stuf's new listings page and saw they had just put up 14 Amazons and Shaolin Hand Lock. The two are going to be released on March 23rd with a SRP of $19.99 each.

These two are titles that BCI was going to release, but since they went out it looks like Funimation is going to release them. It makes sense, both BCI and Funi are part of the Navarre Corporation, and BCI titles often had fliers for Funi releases. Doesn't look like they'll be doing Blu-Rays, but at least these titles got picked up. Here's the links to the discs at the Right Stuf and Amazon.

14 Amazons

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/G84FOAw5vtKRc5iQLZ/browse/item/86121/4/0/0

http://www.amazon.com/Amazons-Live-Action-Artist-Provided/dp/B0030ZOYW2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261324657&sr=1-5

Shaolin Hand Lock

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/G84FOAw5vtKRc5iQLZ/browse/item/86122/4/0/0

http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Hand-Lock-Live-Action/dp/B0030ZOYNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261324720&sr=1-2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking over at the Right Stuf's new listings page and saw they had just put up 14 Amazons and Shaolin Hand Lock. The two are going to be released on March 23rd with a SRP of $19.99 each.

These two are titles that BCI was going to release, but since they went out it looks like Funimation is going to release them. It makes sense, both BCI and Funi are part of the Navarre Corporation, and BCI titles often had fliers for Funi releases. Doesn't look like they'll be doing Blu-Rays, but at least these titles got picked up. Here's the links to the discs at the Right Stuf and Amazon.

14 Amazons

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/G84FOAw5vtKRc5iQLZ/browse/item/86121/4/0/0

http://www.amazon.com/Amazons-Live-Action-Artist-Provided/dp/B0030ZOYW2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261324657&sr=1-5

Shaolin Hand Lock

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/G84FOAw5vtKRc5iQLZ/browse/item/86122/4/0/0

http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Hand-Lock-Live-Action/dp/B0030ZOYNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261324720&sr=1-2

Well, this is good news... I've been waiting to see if anyone would grab BCI's Shaws. Now, if they'll be the same as BCI's only two DVD releases (progressive scan 24p) is left for interpretation for the time being. As for no blu-rays... bit of a bummer, but Funimation DOES make blu-rays, so it's not entirely out of the question. In fact, perhaps they should start by releasing the blu-rays of Life Gamble that never made it out of the gate.

Also, Media Blasters hasn't done day-and-date DVD and Blu-rays of their Shaws, but they are finally releasing BRs starting next month. I dunno, it looks like it's a lot of "wait and see" until March for Funimation, but hopefully they'll do good with what they've got.

EDIT:

By the way, I found the old list of 15 SB films BCI had, and noticed that they're still going in order. Here it is for those who can't find it:

Life Gamble

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

The 14 Amazons

Shaolin Hand Lock

Hong Kong Godfather

Shaolin Prince

Invincible Shaolin

The Bastard Swordsman

The Duel

Return of the Bastard Swordsman

Shaolin Rescuers

Soul of the Sword

The Lady Hermit

The Supreme Swordsman

The Sword of Swords

Thanks for letting us know!

I've sent them an email with details to the dedicated forums and recommendations for the releases.

Guest Markgway

If done right I'd get these for a decent price...

The 14 Amazons

Shaolin Hand Lock

Invincible Shaolin

The Sword of Swords

Would especially love to see them in Blu...

Ever since this was first announced through BCI WAY back, I've been waiting for The Duel. I have the IVL, but a 24p transfer with Mandarin AND English options would be the best way to go!

Whatever happened to Cliff from BCI, anyway? It'd be great if he was working on these.

Actually one of the first things that leapt to mind was "So, are we finally getting R1 releases of Dragons Forever and Wheels on Meals?" :tongue:

I wonder if 'Opium' and 'Life Gamble' will be re-released.

If so, I'd like the video glitch on 'Opium' fixed. For both releases, de-interlace film-based extras and remaster the subtitles. I wasn't mad for the film, but I really ought to demand my copy is swapped for a proper one - these defects are rather careless.

I forgot to suggest reversible artwork (it could go: one side Chinese and the other page English or the general back cover), but it's not a priority.

Cliff is at Shout Factory and just announced that they've acquired the 1960s Gamera movies from Daiei. He's got other stuff in the works, but ain't talkin'!

If done right I'd get these for a decent price...

The 14 Amazons

Shaolin Hand Lock

Invincible Shaolin

The Sword of Swords

Would especially love to see them in Blu...

14 amazons is unseen for me but rest are masterpieces.Nice locations in Shaolin Handlock and good fight scenes too.I guess Invincible shaolin been praised here already and deservedly so.

Sword of swords is very dark even in jimmy wang yus standards and what an excellent movie that is:kiss:.I have lost count how often I have watched it:yociexp56:

i don't want to sound like a broken record here but i hope they intend to include the english dub versions with these releases or they will lose money with poor sales and fail like all the rest. after all BCI promised the dubs on all their releases and didn't deliver. even when i repeatedly brought it up even on this forum with their rep he refused to answer. when they finally did answer they lied--there is no complete english dub existing for LIFE COMBAT--even though it was playing on tv with the complete dub when they answered. i agree that it is good news that the titles have been picked up--but lets hope they do them right. ya--i know--i'm in a mood today--:xd:

Killer Meteor
i don't want to sound like a broken record here but i hope they intend to include the english dub versions with these releases or they will lose money with poor sales and fail like all the rest. after all BCI promised the dubs on all their releases and didn't deliver. even when i repeatedly brought it up even on this forum with their rep he refused to answer. when they finally did answer they lied--there is no complete english dub existing for LIFE COMBAT--even though it was playing on tv with the complete dub when they answered. i agree that it is good news that the titles have been picked up--but lets hope they do them right. ya--i know--i'm in a mood today--:xd:

He wasn't lieing, don't make statements you can't back up. We don't know how much time elapsed between the discs and/or their materials being finallised, and the TV broadcast being made. You should be ashamed of yourself.

These ones I really want

The 14 Amazons (I hope its a longer cut)

Shaolin Prince

The Duel

Shaolin Rescuers

The Lady Hermit

The Sword of Swords

• Administrator
Cliff is at Shout Factory and just announced that they've acquired the 1960s Gamera movies from Daiei. He's got other stuff in the works, but ain't talkin'!

I'm so glad that Cliff is back in action, has a job for the holidays (which is a minor miracle at this point!), and that it's doing what he does best. Cliff is a really nice guy, and I was hoping he'd get back in the game. :bigsmile:

14 amazons is unseen for me but rest are masterpieces.

I really love 14 AMAZONS and highly recommend it.

Along with Sword of Swords, 14 Amazons is the pick of the bunch. Trust me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! :nerd:

We don't know how much time elapsed between the discs and/or their materials being finallised, and the TV broadcast being made.

Good point. Believe me, Cliff is not some mindless businessman. He's a huge fan of this stuff! I have no doubt that he did everything in his power to make it happen. But he's only one man in a company of many. He's not the king of the universe, and doesn't have complete control over what these companies are releasing. If he could have put them out with the dubs on there, he would have.

These ones I really want

The 14 Amazons (I hope its a longer cut)

Shaolin Prince

The Duel

Shaolin Rescuers

The Lady Hermit

The Sword of Swords

I'm hoping for the longer print of 14A too. I was surprised when I read on here that the IVL/Celestial copy was truncated. So I would definitely like to see a longer version. But either way, it's still a cool flick, and I'm looking forward to it finally being available for so many SB fans that have never had the chance to see it.

I first saw SHAOLIN PRINCE as a English dubbed VHS, so I still have a nostalgic fondness for the dub. As a "subtitle guy" I was shocked when I bought and watched the IVL/Celestial release, and despite loving the beautiful widescreen print, I missed that silly dub! :tongue:

when i asked point blank one time--is the complete english dub going to be available for LIFE COMBAT--he answered --YES--in fact he went on to say that the complete english dubs would be available for ALL their titles. in fact he said if an original dub wasn't available they would add a new dub and also even when he was right here on line i asked about the missing dub on LIFE COMBAT and he totally ignored me because i caught him in the lie and he no doubt thought that if he ignored me long enough i would just give up. he never once answered about the complete dub being on the tv version--all he would say was that the uncut dub didn't exist which we all know was a lie. i mean if the full dub had never surfaced he may have had a point but at that time it had already been playing on tv for months and i and others had pointed this out to him here on the forum and in emails to BCI. they lied--simple as that--open and shut case--i don't understand why some people are trying to say they didn't. its really not that big a deal--but facts are facts--all i'm hoping is that this new company does a little more research into their product and has a little more respect for the people that are expected to buy it.

• Administrator
when i asked point blank one time--is the complete english dub going to be available for LIFE COMBAT--he answered --YES--in fact he went on to say that the complete english dubs would be available for ALL their titles. in fact he said if an original dub wasn't available they would add a new dub and also even when he was right here on line i asked about the missing dub on LIFE COMBAT and he totally ignored me because i caught him in the lie and he no doubt thought that if he ignored me long enough i would just give up. he never once answered about the complete dub being on the tv version--all he would say was that the uncut dub didn't exist which we all know was a lie. i mean if the full dub had never surfaced he may have had a point but at that time it had already been playing on tv for months and i and others had pointed this out to him here on the forum and in emails to BCI. they lied--simple as that--open and shut case--i don't understand why some people are trying to say they didn't. its really not that big a deal--but facts are facts--all i'm hoping is that this new company does a little more research into their product and has a little more respect for the people that are expected to buy it.

Okay, then maybe he was relaying what he had been told. When they didn't follow through, he didn't want to badmouth the company he worked for (no matter how disappointed and embarrassed he probably was). Perhaps they realized they were going to be shutting their doors, so at the last minute the people in charge decided to exclude extras to cut costs? I do get your point Bobo, and I also wish those discs had included the English dubs. But if we speak negatively on here, and attack these people from the DVD companies, do you think they're going to keep coming here to listen, or tell us info? Doubtful. I'm not just talking about Cliff, who I personally dealt with in the past, and is a great guy. I'm talking about any reps that come on this forum. Recently on another thread one popped on to say "Hi" and mention some upcoming releases. He was met with "Well duh- don't f**k it up and we'll be happy!" (And I'm not saying you did that) I just sighed and shook my head disappointed. Hmmmm, I wonder if we'll be hearing from him again? Doubtful. The problem is, for every three hundred polite, interested fans reading that post, there only had to be one guy acting rude and spewing obsceneties to screw it up for everyone. So, though I completely understand and sympathize with your feelings about the matter, yelling "Liar!" is not going to get anyone anywhere. You ever hear the old saying "You catch more flies with honey"? No one from these companies is going to listen to us if we act rude, indignant, and demanding. There's only a slim chance that they'll listen to us even if we are very nice, mature, and non-confrontational. Take note- certain people on this forum have had pretty good communications and been given info from the companies, like Magicpoe and Teako. Notice that you've never read any posts by either of them where they came across like obnoxious jerks? So my suggestion is this: let's take the high road, treat people like we want to be treated, and see what happens.

bobo nothing personal...but sink deep with that all so vital dub issue

• Administrator
bobo nothing personal...but sink deep with that all so vital dub issue

Blood Sword, we've had some discussions, and you seem like a smart guy, but the statement you just made is exactly what I was talking about. What purpose did it serve other than to take a shot at him? It accomplishes nothing. It was simply negative baiting. I gathered that the forum was a place to talk about stuff with like-minded fans. Not a place to hurl insults. Isn't there a "F**k you" forum somewhere that caters to aggressive negative comments where you can express that part of your personality? I'm sure there is. Come on brother, can't you just be nice? :squigglemouth:

Shaolin Patriot

Great news! I am anxious to see an upcoming 2010 release schedule of the Shaw titles. 2 titles a month would be fantastic. There is nothing mentioned yet on the FUNimation website. Looking forward to the releases. :wink:

I'd be interested in the Gamera movies:nerd:

DrunkenMantis13

Holy crap, this is amazing news! Funi haven been pretty quiet about this, but still, i'm really happy to hear this. And they're ramping up on their Blu-Ray releases drastically too, so i guess it's not entirely out of question...

Hey, hey, hey. We may not have gotten the dub for Life Gamble but we did get this beautiful dub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt0FyajHfnw

Hopefully more titles come out dubbed much like this team did. Don't these companies know that this is what is going to drive the sales of the titles? These strong dubs that we know they have, that all should be able to hear?

Archived