Why the HELL does no1 mention South Shaolin Master!!!!!

lillippa328

What a great film!! I have never heard any1 mention a thing about this....

when was it made?

This is some of the best weapons choreography thats out there!!!

Does it have any aka's or anything? Has any1 else even scene it?

9/10! hope number 2 is just as good!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this flick as well, good sets, scenery and fights. This film does have a sequel which fails in comparison.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdvkftW3Q4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdvkftW3Q4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good film. I believe it was released in 1984. I reviewed it quite a few years ago and should give it another look. I personally feel a lot of the mainland wushu films of the 1980s are underrated. A lot of these films were not as widely distributed outside of Asia as the Hong Kong productions were. Jet Li's mainland films are the big exception.

yea i found it at a store....part 1 and 2 on a double disc, video asia, 4.99....i said, what the hell, ill give her a try...had it sitting for a month, watch it and was amazed....

some of those fight scenes were A+

hey,

thankfully this and other Mainland flicks got an upswing thanks to very good dvd releases a few years ago. Well preserved prints, multiple audio options including english and subtitles. Tai seng distributes some of these if they're OOP in HK. Think there are Mainland version of the same dvd's too.

• Administrator

I hadn't watched this in years! After reading your post lillippa328, I decided to watch it again. Thanks for bringing it up, because I really enjoyed revisiting it. What a difference from the latter SB films. The scene where they performed opera had literally hundreds of extras, and instead of the red junk being a partial set in a studio, they were on a real- beautiful- junk on an actual river! And I thought that the inside of the temple in the beginning was simply stunning! What a gorgeous interior.

I hadn't watched this in years! After reading your post lillippa328, I decided to watch it again. Thanks for bringing it up, because I really enjoyed revisiting it. What a difference from the latter SB films. The scene where they performed opera had literally hundreds of extras, and instead of the red junk being a partial set in a studio, they were on a real- beautiful- junk on an actual river! And I thought that the inside of the temple in the beginning was simply stunning! What a gorgeous interior.

Thats one thing i love about a lot of the 80s wushu movies, the sets and locations were breathtaking. The movies had such a different feel to the ones made in Hong Kong and Taiwan, they looked so much more professional.

lillippa328, i recently made a thread about mainland martial arts movies and i mentioned it in the first post :) Its one of my favourite kung fu movies.

I have always put it as one of my favourite kung fu films...I love the part where the guy uses the rope with a blade attached, its just wow:nerd:

• Administrator
I have always put it as one of my favourite kung fu films...I love the part where the guy uses the rope with a blade attached, its just wow:nerd:

Truly! The rope dart is incredibly difficult to use, and probably one of the hardest to realistically film. I'm sure that scene took a long, long time to get just right. And it is one of the best uses of it I've ever seen in a film.

I also liked a move that the hero does where he runs up the back of his opponent, then with one foot planted in the guys back, he hooks his other foot around under the guys jaw, and pushes off- pulling the top of his foot against the guy's throat! It looks like something from ONG-BAK, but filmed way back in the day. And I'd like to point out, just like Jaa's stuff, the move was accomplished without a wire assist.

Truly! The rope dart is incredibly difficult to use, and probably one of the hardest to realistically film. I'm sure that scene took a long, long time to get just right. And it is one of the best uses of it I've ever seen in a film.

I also liked a move that the hero does where he runs up the back of his opponent, then with one foot planted in the guys back, he hooks his other foot around under the guys jaw, and pushes off- pulling the top of his foot against the guy's throat! It looks like something from ONG-BAK, but filmed way back in the day. And I'd like to point out, just like Jaa's stuff, the move was accomplished without a wire assist.

Dang now your making me want to check this out!

• Administrator
Loved the film. Didn't like the scene with the dog, though. This one comes up often! It's in almost every mainland favorite list!

Oh yeah, that was awful!

Also, I forgot to mention- twice in the film people are shown having their arm broken. A fake arm is used to really sell it. The only problem is, that both times it's the left arm that's broken... but there's a right hand on it! :xd: If all they had was one fake right hand, why not just have the characters' right arms get broken?!

Did anyone else notice this crazy flub? :smile:

^lol i aint never catch that...

i had to rebring this up...after just now watching the 2nd one...i had 2 ask...how many years later did they make this? Its crazy how number1 was like an old school film and this was so 90s....it had to be the worst ending ive ever scene lol....the fights were cool all the way up till the last one....

it rate the 2nd film a 6/10....ive scene way worse 90s films....Fist Power,Iron Monkey 2, The Master.....this is a nice notch above those...but still disappointing from the first

I've never seen this film properly, will have to get around to it. Heard lots of praise for it though. Now I just need to find my copy.

kungfusamurai

I haven't sat through this film yet. I quickly viewed some of the fight scenes, and found them somewhat slow. Not super slow, but maybe the director should have undercranked a bit. I will need to revisit it.

KFS

Uh, I will totally rep for this film. It's great and moreso considering it had relative unknowns. Just a fantastic example of what opening the doors beyond Hong Kong has done for kung fu cinema (nice tie-in, huh?). I wrote a review a year or two ago for anyone who is hesitant about checking it out in the review section.

Archived