What's with Hector Echavarria?

Elemental Fist

Elemental Fist

Seriously, what's up with the garbage he's been releasing lately? Never Surrender was a first class stinker and his latest film, Death Warrior looks just as bad. However unlike some people who attacked these movies, I'm actually familiar with Hector Echavarria. The guy was a big star in his homeland of Argentina during the 80's and has done some pretty entertaining martial art films in the past, he was so popular over there that he had his own freaking comic book. After seeing some movies and clips of him, I thought he was decent.

However these recent movies holds truth to an important lesson in Cinema, the right filmmaker can make the actor look good and as of this moment, Hector Echavarria has the wrong filmmaker, himself. At the hands of someone decent and with experaince, Echavarria can be quite an entertaining action actor but when he's behind the camera, he makes those sloppy fight scenes from those bad 90's low budget actioners look good.

Here's a sample of what he's like under the hands of a capable fight choreographer:

1wlMwL3kSr4

Ms4sYEV-vng

C8scB_yOSok

00nEfzblPfY

Big difference, right?

Thanks for posting these. I know I've been hard on Hector in my reviews but the reason is that he wrote and produced the last two movies. He also directed NEVER SURRENDER. Who else should we blame?

Elemental Fist
Thanks for posting these. I know I've been hard on Hector in my reviews but the reason is that he wrote and produced the last two movies. He also directed NEVER SURRENDER. Who else should we blame?

Who else? Hector, that's what i've been saying when it comes to filmmaking, he's his own worst enemy, he should let someone with proper experience work behind the scenes if he wants people to open up to him and buy his movies.

One Armed Boxer
This guy has sort of a "Enter the Dragon" meets "Taken" meets "Bloodsport" thing going on in his upcoming film, "Duel of Legends"

The visual that immediately springs to mind when I think of these 3 movies meeting each other is something resembling a car crash...which ironically, is exactly how all of Hector Echavarria movies can best be described.

Well, the good news is that he did earn some redemption points in my opinion with CHAVEZ: CAGE OF GLORY. He toned down the Cinemax late night content and focused more on his struggling character, who is given a chance to redeem himself and potentially save his family when he is offered $100K to face a top MMA champion.

He had another film listed called HELL'S CHAIN but I haven't seen any sort of trailer on it or nothing. It was also from 2009.

• Like 1

SportKick.png

Hector Echavarria was born in Corrientes, Argentina on December 6, 1969. Stricken with asthma as a kid, his parents encouraged him to take up martial arts to help overcome his illness. He began studying Tai Chi at the age of 4 and Chinese boxing under Sifu Tung Kuo Tsao, a former member of the Shaolin Temple. He also studied Judo, Jiujitsu, Karate, and Taekwondo. His current ranks are:

• 7th dan Karate Shuri-ryu
  • 7th dan Kenpo Karate
  • 5th dan Tae Kwon Do
  • 2nd dan Jujitsu
  • 2nd dan Judo.

He was inducted in the U.S. Martial Arts Hall of Fame in 2000. In 1988, Echavarria made his acting debut on an episode of Miami Vice, which attracted a producer from his homeland to play the martial arts instructor of the bumbling titular duo of The Exterminators. Echavarria would have the main fight scenes in the film and appear in two of its three sequels. He was also the lead star of a local comedy series, Brigada Cola, with one of the stars of the Exterminators series.

He made his U.S. martial arts film debut in 2001 with Los Bravos, also known The Falkland Man and Extreme Force opposite Michel Qissi. Since 2009, Echavarria mainly worked in MMA films from Tapout. While the first of his films, Never Surrender and Death Warrior were more subpar, Unrivaled was a bit of a step above. However, Echavarria would eventually leave Tapout's film company and be replaced by world karate champion Tony Schiena. Echavarria unleashed the more superior MMA film Chavez: Cage of Glory, in which his son Hector Jr. served as the fight choreographer, but was a more exciting drama about a washed up MMA fighter who must make a comeback to take care of his ill son.

He currently has two films in post-production, The Pastor and Duel of Legends.

(I'm guessing this is from his TV series, Brigida Cola)

• Like 2

On 2/15/2015 at 4:43 PM, AlbertV said:

He had another film listed called HELL'S CHAIN but I haven't seen any sort of trailer on it or nothing. It was also from 2009.

I was looking for this movie everywhere today and it's like it never even existed. It can't be streamed, downloaded or bought anywhere, can't be that after all these years it's still nowhere to be found?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

OMG this is EXACTLY how I felt with the film. Thankfully, CHAVEZ: CAGE OF GLORY cuts down on the T&A (completely stripping it - no pun intended) and focuses more on the story and the fights looked better with his son Hector Jr. as choreographer. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

OMG this is EXACTLY how I felt with the film. Thankfully, CHAVEZ: CAGE OF GLORY cuts down on the T&A (completely stripping it - no pun intended) and focuses more on the story and the fights looked better with his son Hector Jr. as choreographer. 

Thanks for checking it out. I'll see if Cage of Glory made it to Brazil.

• Like 2

Hmm...Hector Echavarria films in Brazil:

Extreme Force (2001) - Força Extrema - transl. Extreme Force

Confessions of a Pit Fighter (2005) - Lutador de Rua [1] - transl. Street Fighter

Never Surrender (2009) - Jogo Mortal [2] - transl. Deadly Game

Death Warrior (2009) - Guerreiros da Morte - transl. Warriors of Death

Unrivaled (2010) - Combate Final - transl. Final Combat

[1] - This is also the Brazilian title for Hard Times; The Big Brawl; and Blood and Bone.

[2] - This is also the Brazilian title for Stay AliveThe Deadly Game (w/ Gabriel Byrne); 

• Like 2