Lau Wing/Liu Yung

ching li

Here is a guy who had the leading man good looks and very charismatic. He starred in a number of pretty good shaw bros films, but yet still didn't seem to get the recognition as his other Shaw Bros counterparts did. I noticed even among this message board he is barely mentioned. Do you guys think because he jumped ship from Golden Harvest to Shaw Bros that maybe it was hard to get into him as a "Shaw Bros" actor? I always ask myself why he is underrated?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I admit to never really talking about him on here. I've never bought a movie because of Lau Wing, but he usually does a good job acting and fighting. I watched Iron Chain Assassin recently and I thought his performance was on par with Ti Lung's. Wasn't expecting that. Also in Secret Service he is amazing. Maybe since he wasn't at the Shaws in the early 70's when all those epic movies were being made, he didn't achieve his maximum popularity.

Apparently he sliced his wife's face up severly in a fight & effectively killed his career, fleeing Hong Kong or so, back in the early or mid-80s or 'roundabouts; find it hard to properly respect the dude since I heard about that - someone needs to recount the details proper... He was good as Emperor Chien Lung though.

Apparently he sliced his wife's face up severly in a fight & effectively killed his career, fleeing Hong Kong or so, back in the early or mid-80s or 'roundabouts; find it hard to properly respect the dude since I heard about that - someone needs to recount the details proper... He was good as Emperor Chien Lung though.

What a shame... Always a pity when a good-looking, talented guy turns out to be such a jackass. (Not that it's a rare occurrence...)

Still think he was a very competent actor. He's definitely one of my favorites (he basically steals the show in The Return of Bastard Swordsman, for example - and stealing the show from Norman Chu is a very fine accomplishment...).

Human... Lanterns...:nerd:

Beyond what he did to his wife I think he had a real sleazeball look to him, to sleazy to be a leading man, not that he wasn't a good enough looking guy but he that air to him to be a great villain. His character in Human Lanterns sums it up perfectly, he wasn't even a anti-hero in that movie, an egotistical ahole that placed his own image before everyone and everything else, and did he pay for it at the end.

Guest Markgway

We probably shouldn't confuse Tony Liu (I still call him that... lol) the actor with Tony Liu the asshole. As a person he's a real piece of shit (and it's no surprise his GBH on his wife killed his career) but as a performer he was always reliable and sometime well cast in leading roles (most often Chu Yuan wuxia). Despite his recognition for his work with Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest in Asia his success didn't come until he joined Shaws.

According to imdb and wikipedia, it is said that he is/was married to Wen Hsueh Erh aka Candy Wen as well. Hopefully he is a good hubby to her if it is true that they are still married.

Human... Lanterns...:nerd:

Beyond what he did to his wife I think he had a real sleazeball look to him, to sleazy to be a leading man, not that he wasn't a good enough looking guy but he that air to him to be a great villain. His character in Human Lanterns sums it up perfectly, he wasn't even a anti-hero in that movie, an egotistical ahole that placed his own image before everyone and everything else, and did he pay for it at the end.

Let's not forget his character in Big Boss as well...just a straight up dick.

Let's not forget his character in Big Boss as well...just a straight up dick.

I agree, I hated his character and was so happy when he received that beat down from Bruce lee's character. Lau wing definitely have it in him to be a bonafide villian for real.

spearman lo tat

no doubt. Liu could play a villain quite well. his wolf-in-sheep's-clothing character in The Bastard Swordsman comes to my mind.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I liked his duel against Ti Lung in Swordsman And The Enchantress. His wife falling in love with Ti Lung and Liu's reaction to it is great and seems fitting to his style.

Archived